misfiring
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: misfiring

nJm

misfiring

After fixing up the rocker cover oil leak on my 505 I decided to degrease the engine. I suppose I must have got water in the ignition system as ever since the engine mis-fires between 2000-3000 rpm, the car feels like it is convulsing some what in that rev range. At first it was far worse, sounding like an old aircooled VW, but after spraying WD40 onto all the leads and down the spark plug tubes it has got to were it is now.

Advertisement

Is there anything I can do to get the water out? WD 40 doesn't seem to help.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I did the same too on my 405.. answer is dont do it. mine has spark plug tubes about 10cm deep that hold a lot of watter :-)

Firstly id take out all your spark plugs, they are probably fowled, clean em up or replace them.

stick a rag on a stick into the spark plug tubes try and clean out as much as possibly.
    then id get an air compressor or something and blow all the minieral deposits from the spark plug tubing were all the watter has steamed away.

clean up the lead's too, maybe too much wd now causing some resistance.

good luck...
    Nathan
    Buy my Car

1000+ Posts
    Got access to an air compressor?

That's the best way....

Derek

spamboy:
    I did the same too on my 405.. answer is dont do it. mine has spark plug tubes about 10cm deep that hold a lot of watter :-)

Firstly id take out all your spark plugs, they are probably fowled, clean em up or replace them.......
    DON'T take out the spark plugs if the tubes are full of water!!!!

Water is incompressible, (more or less) , unlike the fuel / air misture that normally inhabits your combustion chambers. Combustion chambers full of water can result in nasty things like ring, head or even conrod damage when the engine turns over.

So get any significant quantities of water out of those plug tubes BEFORE you pull the plugs, so that it dosn't end up down in the combustion chambers instead.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm:

Is there anything I can do to get the water out? WD 40 doesn't seem to help.
    One trick that sometimes works Nick is to run the engine until it is up to operating temperature, and then remove leads, dissy cap, etc etc. The heat lets things evaporate and the exposure to the air lets the water vapour wander off to somewhere else.

If its running reasonably well it might be worth seeing if a particular lead or plug is at fault. Just disconnect them one at a time until you find one that doesn't make any difference.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Nick,
    Next best thing to an air compressor.... get the lid off a spray bottle (windex or the like) stick the tube into the spark plug tube and start pumping/spraying, works a treat wink

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information