How to remove a vent (without breaking!!)
  • Register
  • Help
    MrV

Icon5 How to remove a vent (without breaking!!)

title pretty much says it all...

i lost a little plastic black thing from my mobile phone holder into the front vent in the centre, closest to the instruments. i want to get it out because 1. i need it for the holder! and 2. its annoying when it rattles around!!

Advertisement

so can i just get a screwdriver to lever it out or do i have to go in another way? i trying a bit of pushing and pulling by hand but was a bit scared of breaking it so i stopped....

the plastic thing isn't something i can get out with a hooked piece of wire either
    1998 D8 Blue Peugoet 406 Coupe
    1998 D8 Gold Peugeot 406 ST - Sold!
    1994 S2 Red Peugeot 405 Sri - Croaked

I guess it's something plastic and very light? Small?

If you can see it, why not get some blu-tak on the end of a piece of wire and try to get it to stick to that?

MrV

got the blu-tack stuck to it, but then can't get it out through the gap in the vents!! now the blu-tack is inside too

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by MrV
    got the blu-tack stuck to it, but then can't get it out through the gap in the vents!! now the blu-tack is inside too
    Oh No ... ... get another bit of blutac .. and stick the whole thing down in the vent somewhere ... won't come out but it might stop rattling. 1 outta 2.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Maybe you can get it and the blu-tak up to a point where you can get something underneath it and lever it out?

Default Rattles

i lost a little plastic black thing from my mobile phone holder into the front vent in the centre, closest to the instruments. i want to get it out because 1. i need it for the holder! and 2. its annoying when it rattles around!!

so can i just get a screwdriver to lever it out or do i have to go in another way? i trying a bit of pushing and pulling by hand but was a bit scared of breaking it so i stopped....

the plastic thing isn't something i can get out with a hooked piece of wire either

If you can see it, and if you are game, drop a dollop of super glue or loctite on it.

At least it will be stuck down and not rattle. Get it out at a much later date when you have to pull the apart for another reason.

This solves problem 2 anyway.

Good luck

MrV

haha thanks guys.... solve the problem i had while trying to solve the first problem

that means its going to be in there FOREVER [insert evil laugh here]...

worst yet, i'm going to have to buy another $14 phone holder

and yes, dash will come off eventually to fix the darn speedo.

mlb

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly!
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Yeah... right...

I think I can produce a spider here, does she want that?

Sometimes I don't believe what I am hearing/reading! Cos what I have just red doesn't sound too helpful!
    Surely if the little plastic thing fell in through the vent slots then it should fall out as well - Simply turn the car over and shake it a bit!

Good Luk

MrV

Quote Originally Posted by rprince3op2
    Sometimes I don't believe what I am hearing/reading! Cos what I have just red doesn't sound too helpful!
    Surely if the little plastic thing fell in through the vent slots then it should fall out as well - Simply turn the car over and shake it a bit!

Good Luk
    gee mate, thanks... i'll just get a few mates over

it can't be THAT hard to just get a vent out without breaking it.... can it?

maybe no one has ever done it

in which case i'll be the first cos i'm getting fed up with it

gee mate, thanks... i'll just get a few mates over

it can't be THAT hard to just get a vent out without breaking it.... can it?

maybe no one has ever done it

in which case i'll be the first cos i'm getting fed up with it

Seriously - In my 505 I have extracted a vent but as you say it gets worrying the amount of force you have to use. From memory I seem to remember screwdrivers squshing the vent inwards while another was spreading the frame outwards. I think the grill is actually fitted from inside before the whole assembly is fitted to the dash.

I mite just mosy down into my workshop and have a look at my Mi16 (parts of engine dissasembled at the moment) to see if its the same as the 505.
    Will edit this post a bit later with results of my investigation.

OK - investigation over - I got my vents out of my 405 in about 15 seconds each. However I have an April '92 Mi16 - ie a series I. Is the series II dash different - I'm not sure.
    But surely it would be unlikely that the vent system would be that much different.
    All I did was: 1 screwdriver - wide flat bladed. I just positioned the screwdriver next to a pivot point and levered the grill inwards and it popped out easily. (Much easier than in the 505 SII)
    The actual grill's pivots (centre on each side) are only 4 mm long and the free play was about 1mm so they popped out very easily.

Hope this solves your problem
    Good Luck
    R.Prince
    Last edited by rprince3op2; 27th May 2005 at 05:21 PM.

take out the blank switch panels (next to things like demister and clock) and ull see bolts, three of them, two center one on the right hand side, take those out, also take out the two screws underneath the air vent on the right side, the dash will now come off entirely, or at least it does in an mi16 but im guessing theyre the same design

bit more effort then blutac but itl work :p
    '92 405 mi16

MrV

Seriously - In my 505 I have extracted a vent but as you say it gets worrying the amount of force you have to use. From memory I seem to remember screwdrivers squshing the vent inwards while another was spreading the frame outwards. I think the grill is actually fitted from inside before the whole assembly is fitted to the dash.

I mite just mosy down into my workshop and have a look at my Mi16 (parts of engine dissasembled at the moment) to see if its the same as the 505.
    Will edit this post a bit later with results of my investigation.

OK - investigation over - I got my vents out of my 405 in about 15 seconds each. However I have an April '92 Mi16 - ie a series I. Is the series II dash different - I'm not sure.
    But surely it would be unlikely that the vent system would be that much different.
    All I did was: 1 screwdriver - wide flat bladed. I just positioned the screwdriver next to a pivot point and levered the grill inwards and it popped out easily. (Much easier than in the 505 SII)
    The actual grill's pivots (centre on each side) are only 4 mm long and the free play was about 1mm so they popped out very easily.

Hope this solves your problem
    Good Luck
    R.Prince
    yep, it's as you say, slide a flat head screw driver in, pop one side out, then twist the vent so its horizontal and pop the other side out and there it is!

although you must be better at it then me cos i took about 30 seconds problem is i left a few small scratches

one side is just a normal cylindrical shape, the other is a bit weirder. must be slightly different for series 2

thanks!

edit: yes the series II dash is most certainly different. that, the motor, and the boot are the easiest ways to tell them apart. (here in Oz anyway)

yep, it's as you say, slide a flat head screw driver in, pop one side out, then twist the vent so its horizontal and pop the other side out and there it is!

although you must be better at it then me cos i took about 30 seconds problem is i left a few small scratches

one side is just a normal cylindrical shape, the other is a bit weirder. must be slightly different for series 2

thanks!

edit: yes the series II dash is most certainly different. that, the motor, and the boot are the easiest ways to tell them apart. (here in Oz anyway)

I'm dying to know - did you rescue your "little plastic black thing" after all that?

Originally posted by rprince3op2
    I'm dying to know - did you rescue your "little plastic black thing" after all that?
    Well, I'm keen to know, but not dying...

So what's the story?

MrV

course i did!

and the blue tack... and my mobile phone holder is back. didn't have to lash out and spend the $14

and i got my aircon fixed! so its mighty cold inside now

Thread Information