306 heater stuck on
  • Register
  • Help

306 heater stuck on

Just drove Mums 306 before and the heater dial just turns the flow from hot to hotter. Who has had experience with this? Is there something that commonly stuffs up and causes this?

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

If it has the same system as the BX, what happens is that the valve that controls the coolant flow through the matrix is like a piston revolving inside a cylinder.
    If you saw a recent posting on coolants (Peugeot forum I think) it I posted a pic of scum fron OAT type coolant and, yep, you guessed it, it also grows on the internals of the heater system & goes what appears to be like a calcifying grit between the two surfaces & jams them up.
    On a BX, if you can either employ a midget contortionist from a visiting Circus as the best option, or failing that, roll yourself into a ball & throw yourself under the dash, drivers side, and the lever controlling this vavle is on the drivers side about halfway up; you'll see the bowden cable attached to it. Carefully wriggle it up & down by hand & you will feel it start to just move, and this will slowly increase until it just goes the full distance. At that point put a couple of drops of oil on the shaft as best you can, clean & flush the coolant and replace it with new stuff, preferrably not the OAT variety. mallet

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I've had the same experience on two 405's. Not saying it's the same, but they have stepper motor/gearbox which controls the hot air mixture flap. They have a habit of stripping the gears which means they stuck on hot.

Like Alan said, you have to be a contortionist to reach the motor. It's high in the driver's side footwell.

<small>[ 28 September 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: PeterT ]</small>

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

i've presently got the ECU and stepper out of my 405. The servo is fine, the ECU I thought I fixed with a couple of transistor things I soldered in, but alas no. I guess my question was whether the 306 has the same as the 405. Thanks anyway guys
    Just one more reason I hate (in CAPITALS) climate control!
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Thread Information