I may buy a 1997 406...
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default I may buy a 1997 406...

Hi all, I used to own a 1981 305 GLD and have been a Pug fan ever since. Have experienced the Pug wave often and will have life long gratitude to the gentleman who placed a hub cap under my wiper after I had lost one (if your reading you are from Wagga Wagga and won some rallies in Vic using a Pug).

To the crux, am looking at buying a 406, the two options are 97 406 ST 75k $11990 or 98 406 ST 145k for same price. They seem to be the same shape, anyone have any reasons why I would go for either? or neither?

Both are manuals, white, vg cond. The clutch seemed very stiff but this may jsut be how they are? The ride, road noise etc, were great although Ive been driving my girlfriends Daewoo for the last year so my frame of reference lacks something to say the least.

Thankyou in advance to anyone with comments.

Michael

Advertisement

97 and 98 models are exactly the same, so go for the 97. at those ks, its due for a timing belt. Clutch should be light - so it may be in need of a new cable (common fault) or even a new clutch if that doesnt fix it. Mine had a new clutch fitted when I bought it, so they can go at those ks if driven in town mostly.

apart from that, they are pretty robust and damn good value (and cheaper in NSW I might add...) I paid 14K for a 98 ST with 96K km on it 6 months ago, and I am still in love with it. they are pretty quick for a heavy 4 cylinder car, excellent handling (of course..) and are a pleasure to drive daily. You wont regret it

I just bought a 97 406 and I just love it! I keep trying to find excuses to get out there and drive it again. How many times can I head up to the shops in one night!?
    I owned a ford sh*t box before this though so any car would feel glamorous.
    I dont know the first thing about mechanics but I love the smooth ride and I love my leather seats. Yay

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD
    To the crux, am looking at buying a 406, the two options are 97 406 ST 75k $11990 or 98 406 ST 145k for same price. They seem to be the same shape, anyone have any reasons why I would go for either? or neither?
    Michael, there is a one owner '97 Red 406SV manual with 89k for sale in Brissy for $15k
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

These are exactly the types of replies I was hoping for, I must admit it would have been a great arguement to stop me buying it but all your replies have only firmed my resolve. I will go for the 97, I can handle doing something to the clutch and maybe a new belt if needed, it was just such a pleasure to drive, the QLD car makes me think Im getting a pretty good price.
    Thanks to you all.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 97 model

I have owned 97 model 406 for two years now had 73,000kms when bought now around 103,000.

Check on cam belt mine had ben done by age so was ok and a clutch cable fixed the heavy clutch.

Mine was country car so clutch itself is fine.

Only other thing that seems to go wrong is the aircond recycle motor in dash strips a cog. Most like me just leave open but if you search here there is a cheap fix.

Apart from that my car has ben totally reliable, very economical on fuel and is quicker than most give it credit for on open road and twisty roads.

Is quiet rides extremely well and we are rapt in it!

For the price they are you cant go wrong. I had a company Ford and they are not comparable at all.

Graelin

Tadpole

Thanks Graelin, when I had a test drive I was surprised at its acceleration, i thought 2L was a little small for the size and wouldnt have minded at all if it was a little sluggish, its no sports car but it moves very well. My old 1981 305 was a diesel so a little louder and not so good on the pick but the thing that surprised me is that Peugeot dont seem to have compromised on the ride which I thought could happen in a more modern competitive market. I would drive the old 305 to Wagga from Sydney and could do anywhere up to 113km/hr no problems but if I went to 115km it would overheat within minutes. Did 113 on the flat, up hills, down hills, great car.
    Thanks for your help.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    Iand is quicker than most give it credit for on open road and twisty roads.
    I had great fun annoying a hotted up commonbore on a twisty and bumpy back road - he couldnt get away from me . On the straights he pulled away of course, but he was all over the place on the corners and the Pug just sucked it up with perfect composure. He was most miffed to see this poofy french car keeping up.

The 406 has to be one of the best s/h buys about, and feels like it will go for a long time yet. Mine doesnt get pampered in its driving (I dont abuse it though, just enjoy its capabilities) and it hasnt missed a beat. I think it is plenty quick enough too (it was still pulling at 185 kph ) and i love the economy in these days of a dollar a litre for fuel..... Just watch your license though - it has a nasty habit of cruising comfortably and quietly at 130 kph......

Other problems I have heard about though are the idle stepper motor can give trouble, the AC vent control motor (as mentioned above), rear engine mounts (a bugger to change as the right driveshaft has to come out...). Also seems to be hard on its rear discs (mine will be getting new ones when the current pads wear out - I have 118K km now)

and if your single, the ladies like it - very classy
    Last edited by Haakon; 26th May 2005 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    Michael, there is a one owner '97 Red 406SV manual with 89k for sale in Brissy for $15k
    Kermit, Where is this car? Im looking for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad
    Kermit, Where is this car? Im looking for one of these.
    I don't have an address but I do have a name and phone number. I got wind of the car through a PCQ meeting. Email or PM me for the details. It is a deceased estate vehicle. I'm considering it myself but I would prefer a mux one.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I'm considering it myself but I would prefer a mux one.
    It's certainly cheap for an SV. Very sweet motor that one, plus the leather and stacker and all that come standard from memory.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information