Peugeot 505 Air Conditioning
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 505 Air Conditioning

My 1992 505 wagon arrived yesterday but the air con seems dead in the water. The fan won't even turn on so I'm guessing either a dead fan or control board. Anyone had experience with something like this? Also the cam belt doesn't appear to have been changed (no sticker and no mention in the service receipts for the last 30k). The car has done 115k and I can't find the suggested replacement interval. Any ideas on when it should be changed? Most cars seem to be 80k to 100k so it is probably overdue.
    Philip

Advertisement

Tadpole

I had the same problem with my '92 Wagon last week. I traced the problem to a very tight bearing in the heater fan motor (the bearing at the commutator end of the motor). The fan impeller needs to be pulled off before you can get at this bearing and that opens another can of worms. I tried drilling a hole into the bearing housing and filled the hole with light oil, but wasn't able to free it up much. The motor brushes were also just about worn out.

It took the best part of half a day to get the fan out from under the fire-wall insulation without damaging anything. I'm sure this exercise is character-building, but I've done it enough times now to know that I never want to do it again! I bought a new heater fan motor and can hopefully forget the fan in my wagon for the next 10 years.
    03 406 HDI Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by R12 Fan
    My 1992 505 wagon arrived yesterday but the air con seems dead in the water. The fan won't even turn on so I'm guessing either a dead fan or control board. Anyone had experience with something like this? Also the cam belt doesn't appear to have been changed (no sticker and no mention in the service receipts for the last 30k). The car has done 115k and I can't find the suggested replacement interval. Any ideas on when it should be changed? Most cars seem to be 80k to 100k so it is probably overdue.
    Philip
    #1 Change the cam belt whether or not it lloks like it needs it! You can never be too sure, a belt isn't that dear as opposed to a rebuild complete with new pistons, and possibly multiple valves.
    #2 Our 1990 had a fan hassle, intermittent running, I pulled off the insulation and took the fan out, cleaned it up a bit, oiled the bearing, and it has been faultless for months now. I think it was actually just a dirty plug, but give it a go.
    Before this though, find the wires running into the fan itself(the one going through or under the insulatuin) in the engine bay, connect the fan directly to the battery, if it runs this way, it's probably a dirty contact . If this fails to get it turning, new fan.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm dreading pulling out the fan. Normally a bad job on modern without factoring in all that insulation material. Particularly since the insulation looks undisturbed. I was planning to replace the cam belt to be safe but I'd like to know when they are due so I know when next to replace it. I suspect we will have this car for the long haul so I'd like to have some sense of the suggested repair schedules. Were these schedules listed in any of the manuals or owner guides?
    Philip

Philip
    Is it the blower fan that won't turn on, or the air-con fan? The air-con on my S2 GTi sedan didn't work for ages, but when we shorted the contacts on the compressor it fired up fine. If your heater (and the blower) is working fine, contemplate having someone check how much gas is in the system. So far I have replaced the condenser and the leak still isn't fixed.
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

hmmm what a coincidence. my fan wont work either and i was planning on pulling it to bits to have a look this weekend, along with a few other things like brake booster and stuff.....

pardon my ignorance but i need clarification, some people are saying aircon fan and normal fan, arnt they one and the same???? or are there 2 fans....

for a while there my fan would idle very slowly with the switch in the off possition and now it is just dead.....so out it comes on the weekend...

ah well

one other thing, new fans are available from?????

thanks peoples.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm confused by the difference between heater versus air con fan too. All I know is that when I shift the slider for the fan on the dash nothing happens.
    Philip

I'm confused by the difference between heater versus air con fan too. All I know is that when I shift the slider for the fan on the dash nothing happens.
    Philip
    Philip.
    The fan you are talking about is the heater fan. The a/c fan that has been mentioned would most probably be the auxillary cooling fan, a thermatic fan on the outer side of the radiator, just behind the grill that's controlled by the a/c system and aids in cooling when the a/c system is operational. Hope that's clear.
    To check it, turn on the a/c system, and check the relay for the compressor clicks, and the second thermo fan should start. It is usually connected to the 'on' circut for the compressor so that when the compressor is operating the cooling is increased.

Have you tried what I said about the fan, connceting it directly to the battery. Tha's probably the best palce to start, at least then you know if the fan goes!

Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,
    Thanks for the clarification. When the car gets back from the safety certificate today I'll check the air con fan. Any idea where the wires are that connect to the heater fan? Couldn't find them with a quick glance around the engine bay firewall.
    Philip

Chris,
    Thanks for the clarification. When the car gets back from the safety certificate today I'll check the air con fan. Any idea where the wires are that connect to the heater fan? Couldn't find them with a quick glance around the engine bay firewall.
    Philip
    Without having the car to look at, Sue's got it at work, I can remember the wiring going under the insulation below the brake lines, (copper piping) just above the bulge in the insulation where the fan would be? I found the plug just near that area anyway.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 505 Cam Belt

Chris,
    Any idea what is involved in changing the cam belt? Does the thermosatat housing have to be removed? What seals should I be checking when the belt is removed? Should all the alternator, power steering, air conditioning belts be changed at the same time? Thanks.
    Philip

Chris,
    Any idea what is involved in changing the cam belt? Does the thermosatat housing have to be removed? What seals should I be checking when the belt is removed? Should all the alternator, power steering, air conditioning belts be changed at the same time? Thanks.
    Philip
    Hi Philip,
    I haven't changed a belt in so long on one of those engines, not since I had a Renault R20, same motor.
    I'll just consult the manual and get back to you.
    Yes I'd change all the belst at once. Just one question, does your a/c belt sit in front or behind the cam belt?
    Back soon.
    Cheers, Chris.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,
    I'm so used to timing chain cars this is all new to me. Chains were so reliable that I have to grimace when moving into modern car territory. The air con belt is in front of the cam belt and is expose like the rest of the belts.
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Hi Philip,
    I haven't changed a belt in so long on one of those engines, not since I had a Renault R20, same motor.
    I'll just consult the manual and get back to you.
    Yes I'd change all the belst at once. Just one question, does your a/c belt sit in front or behind the cam belt?
    Back soon.
    Cheers, Chris.

You obviously don't have a manual as yet. If you want I'll bid on one for you, there are 2 going in the UK at present. Lowest for one will be $27 approx delivered to you.
    I think the best thing for you to do is to get a photo copy of the pages needed for this. I can't type fast enough to do it here, and the pics are a must too. I must connect my scanner back up one day. We have a great HP full page flat scanner here, and the card for it is sitting on the cupboard, and it gets annoying when this sort of thing happens. I'll get the pages p/copied for you this afternoon. Are you at home at the moment and going to work on it today?
    Chris.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,
    Thanks for offering to copy the pages. I'm at work and I can't see I will get to it for at least a week so no big rush.
    Philip
    P.S. I've just won a genuine steering etc manual but I'm yet to see a genuine ZDJL manual.

You obviously don't have a manual as yet. If you want I'll bid on one for you, there are 2 going in the UK at present. Lowest for one will be $27 approx delivered to you.
    I think the best thing for you to do is to get a photo copy of the pages needed for this. I can't type fast enough to do it here, and the pics are a must too. I must connect my scanner back up one day. We have a great HP full page flat scanner here, and the card for it is sitting on the cupboard, and it gets annoying when this sort of thing happens. I'll get the pages p/copied for you this afternoon. Are you at home at the moment and going to work on it today?
    Chris.

Default Book links

Genuine steering manual??
    I thnik I saw one of those today, looking at a bookshop website. They also listed a ZDJL engine book for $60 I think. Found the link to the pages.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This is the one I was referring to.

It's in the UK but would be $27 approx like I said. Funny though, 99p for the book, 10 quid for postage.
    Alan Moore and I went to the Banyo swap yesterday, but I never saw any 505 manuals amongst the books there. I did look though. Saw w/s manuals for Pugs right back to 203s. There was a 505 break glovebox handbook though and I have one of those so didn't need it.

Chris
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 30th May 2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: adding linkys

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,
    The steering manual i'm referring to is the following. Apparently covers brakes etc. A bit more than I wanted to spend but the cheapest of the batch the guy had - the rest went for $45US and above. Shame you passed on the glovebox guide - I'm still chasing one for the wagon.
    Philip
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7976324284

Genuine steering manual??
    I thnik I saw one of those today, looking at a bookshop website. They also listed a ZDJL engine book for $60 I think. Found the link to the pages.

This is the one I was referring to.

It's in the UK but would be $27 approx like I said. Funny though, 99p for the book, 10 quid for postage.
    Alan Moore and I went to the Banyo swap yesterday, but I never saw any 505 manuals amongst the books there. I did look though. Saw w/s manuals for Pugs right back to 203s. There was a 505 break glovebox handbook though and I have one of those so didn't need it.

Chris

That's not a bad buy then. I'll keep an eye out gor the g/b h/book for you.
    They pop up on e-bay fairly often actually.

I'll get on to that photocopying tomorrow, forgot all about it this afternoon when I went out.

Chris

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Thread Information