Worn 505 steering rack
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default Worn 505 steering rack

Over the last couple of months my GR's steering has started to show all the signs of a worn rack (light and indirect on centre, rattles a lot etc) which is making the car a bit disconcerting to drive at freeway speeds or on dirt roads. Now over the last couple of years I've basically had the entire front suspension rebuilt (everything from bushes to struts/shocks) so I'm guessing it is definitely the rack.

So I guess I want to know what the best course of action is. Is it easy to find a good condition second hand rack? Should I consider getting a rack off an SL/STI/GTI? It would be nice to only have 3.4 turns lock to lock or whatever it is vs 4.5. Roughy how much would I be looking at for parts? I'm guessing a good condition power steering setup to convert the GR would still be quite expensive?

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Default Worn 505 steering rack.

Nick,
    Have a look at the rubber coupling on the steering column while an assistant rocks the steering wheel side to side.
    Has your Pug got power steering?

nJm

Nup, its a GR so has the manual steering with the slow 4.5 turns lock to lock.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yeah, I d agree with Wildebeest,....When I bought my gr,....ughh the steering was quite slack and did transfer a lot of the suspension rattles through into the cabin....I picked up the rubber coupling from Regans ($25 odd )....
    Once fitted,...it was a huge improvement (I changed both engine mounts as well)...steering is reasonably direct now and all those rattles travelling up the column have gone,,,...engine compartment noise has gone down 2 (one of the engine mounts was buggered)....So yeah, change the coupling first....its easy enough to inspect and replace.....

cheeers

dino

Too bad really I just loaded the whole front end of an 82 GR on the truck after the rest of the body as no one wanted anything from it, gone to heaven (or is that hell) now.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Try re-shimming the cup, and a good greasing.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information