relay 'buzzing' mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Default relay 'buzzing' mi16

ive just got everything hooked back up in my mi16 after some head work, when i turn the key to ignition, there is a somewhat loud intermittant noise coming from the relay box (next to cam belt), it could only be descibed as a buzzing....

Advertisement

when i try to start the car, the noise stops, but nothing happens at all, starter not even kicking over.

the battery might well be flat, could this cause it?

only things that have been changed are ive done away with factory thermofans, and the ignition amplifier is not mounted on the battery cradle anymore, does it need a good earth to sit on, or is it remotely earthed?

any suggestions would be appreciated!
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

bj
    Do you have a voltemeter? The loud ticking could be your starter pinion sliding in and out, but not turning the motor, due to too low of a voltage on your battery.
    Even if you don't have ignition you should be able to crank the engine over, if the battery was ok.
    Have you tried push starting the car?.. please only do so if safe, btw. - Chris
    ... ptui!

turns out the ignition amplifier didnt have a good enough earth in its new location, all fixed up now, and the thing actually starts!

the head is 'rattl'y or 'tappy', whatever you'd rather call it, will this subside after a bit of use on the new head?

cheers
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Thread Information