newby mods for my GTI6
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 newby mods for my GTI6

Hi all,

Advertisement

I have just bought a gti6 and am trying to research what engine and wheel mods I can do.

What problems are commmon and what gives good performance and value for ya buck????

any information would be very much appriciated.
    Last edited by James G; 23rd May 2005 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James G
    Hi all,

I have just bought a gti6 and am trying to research what engine and wheel mods I can do.

What problems are commmon and what gives good performance and value for ya buck????

Is 124 kw not enough? I would leave any engine mods alone. It is superb as standard. Maybe add a k and n air filter. Changing the wheels is a personal choice. I quite like the standard "cyclone" alloys, but I suppose you can go to 16 or 17 inch wheels with a lower profile tyre. The excellent ride would be compromised, though.
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

My plan of attack would be:

Quaife LSD
    Quality after market ECU
    Inlet cam

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

i have heard of unichips is that similar to the ecu you mentioned?, what exactly do the inlet cams do?

have you had success with these peter?

Hi all,

Learn to drive the thing, I mean really drive it. The car is more than enough. It will never be fastest in straight line (V6 commy exec will get you), but once the corners come along you will have tons of fun.
    LSD will definately transform the car, whether for good I am not sure. It can become a tad of a pig wanting to understeer until you accelerate midcorner. I never experienced much wheelspin in my non-LSD 6 so unless you wish to race it I might want to stay away from the LSD (ask GTI124 for his view on LSD in GTI6).

Great tyres, new plugs, new air filter, clean the carby buildup in the TB and experiment with handling through either a advanced driver course or at Wakefield.
    I'd stay away from engine mods till you really think you found the car's limit.
    BTW. Friend of mine tried to chip his '99 6 with powerchip and it failed. The stock ECU wouldnt allow mods of fuelling tables.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

i have heard of unichips is that similar to the ecu you mentioned?, what exactly do the inlet cams do?

have you had success with these peter?
    I'd personally use Haltech, Autronic or Motec.

The inlet cam is the thing that most significantly determines the power range on a normally aspirated engine. As it's easy to access and simple to change on an XU10 engine, it's the next logical step after you've got a programmable ECU. The XU10J4RS already has enough compression and head flow, so it's the only way you'll start to make a significant increase in power. The exhaust cam doesn't need to be changed unless you're aiming at huge hp increases.

But as Tekkie said..............

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

I agree, get yourself one of PeterT's inlet cams

Best bang for buck mod ive done on my S16!
    highly recommend it

Thanks again for all the help PeterT

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie

Great tyres, new plugs, new air filter, clean the carby buildup in the TB and experiment with handling through either a advanced driver course or at Wakefield.
    Yes, I still have the P6000s on mine and they are rubbish at getting the power down onto the road. Will be graduating to another brand in the coming months so stay tuned!!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    I'd personally use Haltech, Autronic or Motec.

The inlet cam is the thing that most significantly determines the power range on a normally aspirated engine. As it's easy to access and simple to change on an XU10 engine, it's the next logical step after you've got a programmable ECU. The XU10J4RS already has enough compression and head flow, so it's the only way you'll start to make a significant increase in power. The exhaust cam doesn't need to be changed unless you're aiming at huge hp increases.

But as Tekkie said..............

i haven't looked yet but i have been told the head has to come off to change cams or to pull the cams out of the J4RS head

i'll be delving into it soon as i need to look at a lifter or 2 in mine that were stuffed by a dealer
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Peter, do you think the inlet cam would result in any loss of power in the low and midrange?

Tekkie, my previous car had a clutch plate type lsd which showed some initial understeer until power was applied like you said, but the quaife I've got on the gti6 feels like it makes no difference on turn in and only really starts to cut in when serious power is put down. But like you said, it's not worth the money on such a well balanced road car like the gti6 unless it's doing a lot of track work. I'll be looking to get a 205 sometime to be used for mostly track work and the lsd will be taken out of the '6 and put into that.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Peter, do you think the inlet cam would result in any loss of power in the low and midrange?
    Yes. You never get something for nothing.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks for all the info guys, im happy for now just knowing what could be done,

Cheers

while on the subject, my GTi-6 needs some new tyres.

what can ppl recommend with a good balance of performance and value, bearing in mind that i only need them for standard road use?

Quote Originally Posted by DooshDoosh
    I agree, get yourself one of PeterT's inlet cams

Best bang for buck mod ive done on my S16!
    highly recommend it

Thanks again for all the help PeterT
    What sort of price/cost to get the inlet cams done on the S16 ? and what difference did you notice (or get) ?
    Quick, to the Poojet

Tadpole

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by pase

what can ppl recommend with a good balance of performance and value, bearing in mind that i only need them for standard road use?
    after 2 sets of p6000's... which i found.. did not live up to my expectations...

researched wit my cuz (ex-euro mechanic) over a few months and we decided upon getting the..

...michelin potenza's... its dark outside so will give u more info tomorrow. BUT i can say.. the grip, the control, the cornering given by the new michelin's is absolutely amazing... it puts the p6000s to shame... had them for over 6months now.. and still going strong

Michelin potenza's? woopsie!

Think you mean preceda's, yes?

Jack those puppies to 38psi to really feel the grip (Note: Some ride degradation may occur).

Welcome to the preceda club. :p
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by buzzlite
    What sort of price/cost to get the inlet cams done on the S16 ? and what difference did you notice (or get) ?
    I got one of PeterT's regrinds..

If your interested, you should drop him a PM

Definetly noticed a bucketfull more power above 4000rpm and screams to redline without missin a beat

Tadpole

Icon7

sorry *mistake* was very tired...

i meant...

Michelin Pilot Preceda

ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! researched em for ages with my cuz.... and after testing and researching alot of the other brands....nothing compared...

Quote Originally Posted by XSi_boi

i meant...

Michelin Pilot Preceda

ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! researched em for ages with my cuz.... and after testing and researching alot of the other brands....nothing compared...
    how much should i expect to pay for these?

Quote Originally Posted by pase

Go to goodyear and Buy GT radials 195/50 profile champiros $135 only, grips like stink ,the drop in profile sharps the handling and makes your speedo 7% optomistic which is a GOOD thing. I have heard that 16" or 17 " really gets the handling going but at what price and what cost for tyres.
    I chew up the Champiros in 30,000k but at that price who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw
    Go to goodyear and Buy GT radials 195/50 profile champiros $135 only, grips like stink ,the drop in profile sharps the handling and makes your speedo 7% optomistic which is a GOOD thing. I have heard that 16" or 17 " really gets the handling going but at what price and what cost for tyres.
    I chew up the Champiros in 30,000k but at that price who cares.
    James, you might want to check some other's experiences about that, as other people who've tried putting 195/50/R15's on their gti6 said that it made the car ride and handle worse and they've since gone back to the usual 195/55/R15's.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by XSi_boi

i meant...

Michelin Pilot Preceda

How do you find them in the wet ? I hd them before and it just let go without warning. and understeer in the wet crazy. In the dry it sticks like glue but i don't like it in melb greasy wet cold road.

Ordered my new set of 4 Goodyear F1 GS-D3 arrriving wednesday. Can't wait.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Thread Information