transmission GTi6 and GTI 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default transmission GTi6 and GTI 180

Can anyone tell me if the housing for the GTi6 transmission can be fitted to the gti180, yes i know i am not going to do it, was just wondering, at a time far into the future i was considering, to see if i could fit the 6 speed to the gti180...any suggestions.

Advertisement

XTC

I've heard of 1 UK guy doing it, but the case is too long for the 206, so not sure how it was done. In general the answer is no.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Heard of a 138 GTi here, with a 6speed in it. You can only get full lock of steering in one direction.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Seven
    Heard of a 138 GTi here, with a 6speed in it. You can only get full lock of steering in one direction.
    So like a GTi-6 you can only turn in one direction hahaha

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

speak with GMCMotorsport as they can replace all the gizzards of your standard housing to fit :

6 Speed Conversion For BE 3/5 Gearbox, Own Casing, Modified Ratios, Dog Engagement, No LSD - 4750

price that. ouch

'04 Citroen Xsara VTS

Mallala - 1:29.96

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    So like a GTi-6 you can only turn in one direction hahaha

- xTc -
    I've gotten used to it but geez have some classic stories though. Most memorable, or should I say forgettable, was when I was on my first trip to Kangaroo island, just off the coast of Adelaide. Upon landing, was required to do a sharp turn to the right on the ferry to manoeuvre onto the exit lane and hence onto the ramp off. They've got some attendants to direct all the cars and I had one particularly burly bloke motion for me to keep turning my wheel once I'd already reached full right lock. Was very noisy there and he couldn't hear me so I just put up my hands in helplessness trying to indicate to him that I actually couldn't turn any more. He got quite worked up and finally came to my car when I finally explained to him that it was 'the 6-speed' he went away shaking his head about bloody peugeots while motioning the 15 cars behind me to all back up a bit so I could reverse to do my 9 point turn. Normally it's not so bad as you learn to compensate and judge right 'U turns' very well. Wouldn't want to negotiate some of the tight sydney car parks though....
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Tadpole

another problem you would come across is the clutch actuation. gti6 is cable, 180 is hydraulic. i believe the bolt pattern is fairly similar though.

Is the gear handle connected via rods or cables in the GTI6?

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    Is the gear handle connected via rods or cables in the GTI6?
    Pug4Eva .. you notice how much sweeter the shift your 180 is compared to the old 138 ... chalk and cheese, shame there isn't a retro fit option for 138 owners (not that i know of - anyone ).

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Pug4Eva .. you notice how much sweeter the shift your 180 is compared to the old 138 ... chalk and cheese, shame there isn't a retro fit option for 138 owners (not that i know of - anyone ).

- xTc -
    The shift on the '180 is smooth enough in all shifts except for shifts into 2nd gear though. I wonder if anyone's tried another gear oil and if it's made a difference. The shift on the gti6 was smooth when warm but notchy when cold, but since I changed to a synthetic gear oil it seems fine this winter.

- 306 gti6

Meanwhile, my ol' 205 is banging through the gears like a formula one car, no worn synchro's or anything.

Aaah, let's all bask in the glory that is the 205...

I'm sure there must be a retro-fit for the 138 somewhere... Couldn't you just use the actual 180 parts and apply them to the 138? Or did they go and change big components while they were at it?
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    The shift on the '180 is smooth enough in all shifts except for shifts into 2nd gear though.
    This may not be the case with me. It's all smooth throughout the changes.

I put a mate in the driver's seat (someone who is really used to driving older beemers), and he found it be just wayyy too soft (you could tell by how the car was jolting at every gear change he did ), he also confused the R with 4th (as opposed to the bmw) and for that he got kicked out and back in the passenger seat.

What could've been neat though, is a sequential 6speed gerabox in the 180.
    Check www.boutiquepeugeotsport.com part #: K19800-01 and sequential controls (under 306 Maxi V2)

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva
    This may not be the case with me. It's all smooth throughout the changes.
    That's why I asked, cause I could redline 1st-2nd changes in the 180 and get smooth changes (no crunching), try that with a 138 (quickshift or no quickshift).

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

That's why I asked, cause I could redline 1st-2nd changes in the 180 and get smooth changes (no crunching), try that with a 138 (quickshift or no quickshift).

- xTc -
    I wish the 180 had smooth gear changes.. 2nd gear is a son of a bitch... gearing down especially... I still occassionally (once or twice per week) crunch in 2nd gear, annoys me so much...

Why is this normal??
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ashvsaod
    I wish the 180 had smooth gear changes.. 2nd gear is a son of a bitch... gearing down especially... I still occassionally (once or twice per week) crunch in 2nd gear, annoys me so much...

Why is this normal??
    Well it's not normal with my car - smooth as silk (especially compared to the 138 with the QS). Never crunch gears except along the straight at Wakefield and getting too excited

It only takes a nanosecond-like pause in between shifts to make a difference.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Well it's not normal with my car - smooth as silk (especially compared to the 138 with the QS). Never crunch gears except along the straight at Wakefield and getting too excited

Then you are the exception to the rule. After taking the Pug to two dealers they have both told me that the gearing is completely normal. And I know of multiple other 180 drivers on this board who have commented on a knotchy second gear change.

You are one lucky bastard!
    Clint

Me too!

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

learn to heal toe...give it a damn foot full of revs the moment the clutch is depressed - slots me in the notch nicely. just dont do this is peak hour... people look at you funny.

oh and PS that sequential box in question is 48000 euro. makes that GMCMotorsport box look affordable.

Then you are the exception to the rule. After taking the Pug to two dealers they have both told me that the gearing is completely normal. And I know of multiple other 180 drivers on this board who have commented on a knotchy second gear change.

ashvsaod, there probably is a bit of variance between cars, but I think SLC is right, try pausing slightly before the change. I remember when I drove it, I reckon I was changing too fast inadvertently as well. The stick itself is quite a bit shorter than on my car for example so I reckon it's probable when I drove it, I was moving the gearstick at the same speed as I normally do but which is causing the shifts to be much quicker.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206

Me too! My gearbox is pretty easy to change smoothly. Especially quick, high rev changes. It took me a while to master the shift. When I first got the car I wasn't too smooth, but now you can hardly even tell that I've changed gear on some of my better attempts. The low rev (under 3 grand when the engine is warming up) are the hardest changes to do smoothly. I'm still trying to teach myself to down shift properly & match revs. Again, it's the high rev stuff which is the easiest to master. I really like 3rd to 2nd at about 80, or 90. I have a habbit of over revving, or hesitating with the clutch too long, at lower speeds.

There's no crunching from my gearbox, unless I've dropped the clutch too early. Which is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    just dont do this is peak hour... people look at you funny.
    That's the best time to do it!!! If you make enough noise, people will pull out of your way & wait till you've gone past. All without you doing anything which is illegal, or dangerous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    Me too! My gearbox is pretty easy to change smoothly. Especially quick, high rev changes. It took me a while to master the shift. When I first got the car I wasn't too smooth, but now you can hardly even tell that I've changed gear on some of my better attempts. The low rev (under 3 grand when the engine is warming up) are the hardest changes to do smoothly. I'm still trying to teach myself to down shift properly & match revs. Again, it's the high rev stuff which is the easiest to master. I really like 3rd to 2nd at about 80, or 90. I have a habbit of over revving, or hesitating with the clutch too long, at lower speeds.

There's no crunching from my gearbox, unless I've dropped the clutch too early. Which is very rare.
    I agree with you. The hardest changes are below 3000rpm and when the engine is cold. I've only ever crunched gears twice when my lazy left foot hasn't pressed on the pedal enough.

If you want to preserve your syncros etc you should not rush changes too much. Instead, have a slight pause as you pass throught neutal before you engage the next gear.

Quote Originally Posted by NASSTY
    I agree with you. The hardest changes are below 3000rpm and when the engine is cold. I've only ever crunched gears twice when my lazy left foot hasn't pressed on the pedal enough.

If you want to preserve your syncros etc you should not rush changes too much. Instead, have a slight pause as you pass throught neutal before you engage the next gear.
    I stand corrected, and I agree that higher revs are easier, however there is no way that it is as smooth as 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th... For some reason the 2nd gear change is a harder than any other gear change.
    Clint

Why is this normal??
    From my perspective, from what you have described, it's not normal. I'd suggest you get a 2nd opinion on your gearbox or your gearchange technique. If there is a problem with your box you might find that heal & toeing the change would improve things but you definately have a problem and it's not normal. The only issue I've ever had with the 2nd gear change is to make sure you keep enough sideway pressure as you enter the 2nd gear gate or else it can be difficult to get into gear; ie you get caught between 2nd and 4th gates.

Quote Originally Posted by NASSTY
    From my perspective, from what you have described, it's not normal. I'd suggest you get a 2nd opinion on your gearbox or your gearchange technique. If there is a problem with your box you might find that heal & toeing the change would improve things but you definately have a problem and it's not normal. The only issue I've ever had with the 2nd gear change is to make sure you keep enough sideway pressure as you enter the 2nd gear gate or else it can be difficult to get into gear; ie you get caught between 2nd and 4th gates.
    Yeah, I have had it checked by two dealers... and it is easier than I may have indicated. I only ever crunch when not concentrating on the change.. I do stand by my initial thoughts that it is harder than any other gear and it isn't as smooth as other cars I have driven.
    Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information