Power steering issues
  • Register
  • Help

Default Power steering issues

Hey all.

I've gone and replaced my power steering belt because I adjusted the old one and it was still slipping when turning at a standstill.

I have the correct belt, I checked and double checked. And although it is not screaching anymore, my powersteering is hard. The steeringwheel is hard to turn when at a standstill.

My only question is, what could this mean? Is the pump gone or going? Is the fluid pasted it usedby?

Advertisement

I'll be checking the fluid tomorrow.. I'll probably replace it and bleed the system and see if it still does it.

I am about to go ahead and repalce the timing belt, water pump and some coolant hoses. The expense is already abit high already, so here's hoping that the power steering pump does not need replacement.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Anyone? Anyone?
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

The power steering is not meant to be 'easy' to turn at standstill. Compared to a commodore or most other power steering cars the assistance offered is nowhere near as high. I have driven my mi16 with no power steering connected and trust me, THAT is heavy steering. My power steering belt slips at standstill too and it is also new. I'd suggest you get the mechanic to tension it for you while you're having the work done, no doubt it will improve for a while then start to slip as the new belt stretches a bit. Personaly i am just used to it, if it really annoys you I think it might be Pugrambo suggests fitting a smaller belt, which he knows the part number of, or you could try putting belt grip on the pulleys.

Greg
    1984 505 STI

This being my first 405 Mi16, I wasn't aware that the powersteering is like that.

It is actually like there is none, I've set the belt to the appropriate torque. I use to be a mechanic of motorcycles... so I have these tools laying around. I'm just not too familiar with cars.

I was also thinking that maybe the tyres are too wide for the pump. As the previous owner had just put this new set on.. They are wider then factory, I know this for sure.

Thanks for the info though.

pipsqeek

1990 405 Mi16

That's bad news... new tyres are always easier to turn than part worn ones...

Try to avoid parking with the wheels straight, that might help you out. I think you might just have to live with it otherwise.

1000+ Posts

Pips, stock tyres are 195/55's. Mine has 205/50's and is fairly heavy, but not a worry. I'll be going back to 195's when these are replaced, though. It tramlines slightly on minor imperfections, too - not sure if this is the tyres.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey. This has 225's and I found out they were definately too wide because I couldn't fit a piece of paper between the side wall and the front struts.

ie: They were rubbing. Luckily they only had them on there for 5 kays, driving between the tyre place and their home.

I've added spacers between the hub and wheels that I got a mate at a machine shop to whip up for me. So its all good now. But the hard steering remains.

I figured it would be because the pump is stressing out over having to move such a grippy tire.

Ah well, that's the least of my issue now. I've got a puff of smoke and the smell of oil on an exhaust header, type of smell, when I start it up sometimes. I suspect valve cover gasket.

I also have to fix these coolant leaks. I just can't get my hand in there (at the bottom, behind the drivers side. Its tigher then a nuns nasty.

I'll more then likely be taking it to Paul in Gladesville for a new timing belt soon, and I'll get him to go the hoses back there. Along with the plastic junction. I wish I had one to look at, off the car. I'd see if I could make one from metal, seeing as they perish quite often.

pipsqeek

1990 405 Mi16

Thread Information