Adding an AUX IN to a 206 XR stock stereo
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Adding an AUX IN to a 206 XR stock stereo

Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to add an auxiliary input to the stock stereo of my 206 XR? Since buying the car my ipod has gone almost completely unused. I've tried an itrip FM transmitter but it's ridiculously unreliable and full of static, so I'd prefer a wired connection.

Advertisement

I don't want to replace the whole head unit right now, so is it technically possible to have Strathfield Car Radio or someone similar either install an AUX IN on the head unit, or maybe connect one up to the cd changer button, which I don't use?

Has anyone done something like this, or is my only solution to look at a full replacement of the head unit? I'd rather not buy expensive ipod-specific equipment, I think they're overpriced and most likely poorly designed.

Thanks guys

Well, if expensive iPod-only equipment is out, and you don't want an FM transmitter solution (I agree with you - they are not very good) then maybe an FM modulator could be for you. It's a box that you plug the aerial in the back of the radio through, and that has 2 rca jacks in it. You then buy a cable for the iPod (ie. 2 RCA to a 3.5mm stereo plug) and leave that in a convenient spot (ie. glove box or something similar).

When you want to listen to the iPod, you flick a switch and the radio cuts out and the iPod cuts in. If you look hard enough, you can even find one that automatically switches on when it senses the iPod is playing something.

As far as I've seen, the modulators sell here in Oz somewhere in the region of $50-100, plus installation (which is quite simple really).

I would hazard a guess that it's still not as good as a real aux input jack method, but it's gotta be better than the tuning in method of an FM transmitter.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

im assuming the 206 has a standard single-DIN stereo?

if i were you i would go a litle bit insane and buy a cd/mp3 head unit with an ipod adapter (theyre designed so once the ipod is plugged in it charges and you can browse everything from the head unit itself instead of the ipod) im fairly certain alpine have a special which includes the ipod adapter with a good deck for about 500? it would be well worth it for the money, its a fairly mean stereo, i also know of pioneer and clarion making similar units.

personally i would stay well away from strathfield/autobarn/jb installations, ive seen what they do, and its not very pretty... either install it yourself (head units are dead easy) or get a specialty car audio place (i use tower audio in oakleigh) to do it, they can also provide alpine decks.

as for installing an AUX in i doubt its possible, most aftermarket units dont allow for it, and i agree that fm transmitters are garbage, especially around metro melbourne with tramlines etc.

it all depends how much money you are willing to spend, i myself am about to buy an ipod adapter for my pioneer 7750 deck, but its all up to you
    '92 405 mi16

Tadpole

It is probably worth keeping an eye on this site (as long as you dont want it done instantly) http://rt3wiki.free.fr/pmwiki.php?n=Us.RT3Wiki
    They are trying to adapt the stacker connection to a standard Line In for a current pug head unit. I assume that once it is sorted out for this one the RD3 (which i guess you have) wont be too hard at all.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by superfurry
    Does anyone have any idea if it would be possible to add an auxiliary input to the stock stereo of my 206 XR? Since buying the car my ipod has gone almost completely unused. I've tried an itrip FM transmitter but it's ridiculously unreliable and full of static, so I'd prefer a wired connection.

I don't want to replace the whole head unit right now, so is it technically possible to have Strathfield Car Radio or someone similar either install an AUX IN on the head unit, or maybe connect one up to the cd changer button, which I don't use?

Has anyone done something like this, or is my only solution to look at a full replacement of the head unit? I'd rather not buy expensive ipod-specific equipment, I think they're overpriced and most likely poorly designed.

Thanks guys
    Hey mate

Have you checked this out. I am planning on buying an ipod and getting one these thingys to hook it up. Apparently they make it for 206 pugs as well

http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/c...tCategoryID=41

Cheers!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by superfurry

In short, yes it is technically possible, but wont yield much better results than your current setup. Lack of pre-amp will be your main hurdle. The cost if this custom loom would atleast be 3-4 hours work and at about $50p.h.; thats more than half way to a good head unit with an Auxillary Input (aux in). Plus if back in my day, i was given the job i would put any sort of warranty on it. Too unreliable.
    So save your cash an get a good head unit when you can. Then the store will probably install it for free and for a few dollars they can connect the 3.5mm to RCA loom for you. All underwarranty, in sydney the Lifestyle guys are the blokes to see, ifnot stage co. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information