406 HDi engines
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 HDi engines

1000+ Posts

406 HDi engines

Hi all,

A friend of my dad's just rang up and said he's bought a new 406 HDi Wagon. He said it was an 80kw engine - and I thought hey, that's 110bhp.

Advertisement

I thought Australia didn't get the 110bhp engine because our diesel (up until recently) wasn't good enough for these engines.

Does anyone know how long we've had the 406 with the 110bhp HDi engine? <a href="http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?SITE.sitelayouts.home&FFFF262" target="_blank">http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?SITE.sitelayouts.home&FFFF262</a>

The 307 with that engine would be a beauty - the same power as the 1.6L petrol and ~75% more torque!

Derek.

For a while now....

This article was written nearly 4 years ago;

<a href="http://www.autospeed.com/A_0355/cms/article.html" target="_blank">http://www.autospeed.com/A_0355/cms/article.html</a>

VIP Sponsor
    The 406 has an intercooler and is actually more economical and quicker than the 307.
    Graham Wallis

DeKa:
    The 307 with that engine would be a beauty - the same power as the 1.6L petrol and ~75% more torque!
    Yep, it'd make the $4000 price premium much easier to digest. You really don't get that much for your money, unless you keep your car for yonks, I don't see how you can recoup the savings (given that money also has a time value, you'd need to save more than $4k for it to be worth it).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I was going to get a 307 HDI but only realise that they don't have a intercooler and hence only able to produce 90hp not 110hp as the 406HDI. Given the fact that I was driving a 205 GTi, I will definately need something with more GO, that is why I now got a 306 GTi-6...hehe ..(and I am loving that car to death, at the moment. it is just like a refine 205!!)

It is certainly true that the 307 HDI don't have better economy than the bigger and haeavier 406HDI.

But it is not that expensive to fit a intercooler to 307HDi apparently shy

CHeers
    Billy cheers!
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Hello all,

Does anyone have anymore detail on fitting intercooler to 307 HDI? I believe the 406 HDI has a higher final drive ratio which must give better fuel economy than the 307. Does power to weight ratio influence the comparison between these two (307 & 406) as 307 is a relatively heavy car compared to other 307 models. I haven't checked out the 406 model specs . What impact does an intercooler have on economy? How?

Peter J. - 307 HDI
    PJ

Turbo chargers heat up the air when they compress it, hot stuff expands so you get less dense air than ideal from straight turbo charging, Intercooling cools the aircharge coming from the turbo making it more dense, and therefore carry more oxygen. More oxygen = better ability to burn fuel = more power per unit of fuel. More power = better economy for the same set of circumstances ie the same bit of road at 100kmh the intercooled version will achieve better economy because the throttle does not need to be as open as the non intercooled. Here is the problem though, if you have more power you tend to use it to achieve faster acceleration, higher speed etc and as everyone knows heavy right foot = $$ at the pump.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Tadpole

Default 307hdi

HI,
    just came back from europe and the 307hdi there has the intercooler ... which ups the power from 66kw to 100kw -- 135hp... 320 Nm torque.. -- yes its the same engine as we get in aus .. just no intercooler... with a 6 speed tranny... 0-100 in 9.8 secs

I am desperately trying to talk peugoet aus into bringing one in for me... alternatively... find someone who will do the upgrade aftermarket

anyone able to help??

Quote Originally Posted by martin k
    HI,
    just came back from europe and the 307hdi there has the intercooler ... which ups the power from 66kw to 100kw -- 135hp... 320 Nm torque.. -- yes its the same engine as we get in aus .. just no intercooler... with a 6 speed tranny... 0-100 in 9.8 secs
    That's a different engine though - it's got a 16V head too.

Adding an intercooler to the standard HDi90 basically gives you a HDi110.

The HDi135 is a bit different - I've been told it goes damn well in a 307, but frankly I didn't think much of it in a heavy 407. Yippee yahoo it has 320Nm of torque, but there's so much lag and such a tiny power band, it's only good for bragging rights or long haul cruising IMHO.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Justin's right,

The HDi135 is an all new engine - new head, management system, intercooler... I look forward to driving a car with one fitted

Derek.

nJm

I've got a Top Gear video test drive of the 407 HDi135. They love the handling and ride, but hate the engine. Sure it has good emissions and fuel economy, but the turbo lag is something awful. Jeremy said when he drove it earlier in the week in a multi-level carpark that it came to a grinding halt in 2nd gear going up a ramp as the turbo didn't spool up in time and there was no power.

All reviews of the 407 HDi135 have similar stories. The concensus is to buy the petrol, or get something else if you are at all interested in driving. If it is a company car (and lets be honest, most 407's will be that, or sales rep mobiles) then the low emissions might be enough to make you put up with its dreadful power delivery.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I've got a Top Gear video test drive of the 407 HDi135. They love the handling and ride, but hate the engine. Sure it has good emissions and fuel economy, but the turbo lag is something awful. Jeremy said when he drove it earlier in the week in a multi-level carpark that it came to a grinding halt in 2nd gear going up a ramp as the turbo didn't spool up in time and there was no power.

and how many people go up these ramps in 2nd gear ???

either that or i must be the only one that travels around in multi-level car parks in 1st gear
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

As a refrigeration mechanic, I've wondered for years about passing turbo'ed (?) air through an evaporator - it means the a/c is on all the time but I imagine the increase in power due to extremely cool air would more than offset the compressor load...
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Quote Originally Posted by boodek
    As a refrigeration mechanic, I've wondered for years about passing turbo'ed (?) air through an evaporator - it means the a/c is on all the time but I imagine the increase in power due to extremely cool air would more than offset the compressor load...

i saw that done many years ago

i forget what it was on but yes the gains of the cooler air outweighed the power drawn by the compressor

i think it was on some jap thing
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    If it is a company car (and lets be honest, most 407's will be that, or sales rep mobiles) then the low emissions might be enough to make you put up with its dreadful power delivery.
    I find it hard to believe that "most" 407's will be company or sales rep cars. But then again I aint no salesman or i'm not being honest with myself.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    I find it hard to believe that "most" 407's will be company or sales rep cars. But then again I aint no salesman or i'm not being honest with myself.

same here

when you consider holdens, fords and mitsubishi's are a much cheaper option for fleets
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I find it hard to believe that "most" 407's will be company or sales rep cars
    I think Nick was more commenting on the UK side of things where 407's certainly are rep/company cars.

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

nJm

Yup, in the UK. Where you get taxed on emissions and spend half your life in the M25.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by boodek
    I remember years ago there was an article in fast fours (or similar) mag about a cordia turbo, the owner had a section of the aircon return inside the air intake tubing - apparently it worked very well

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    I think Nick was more commenting on the UK side of things where 407's certainly are rep/company cars.
    Well, he's probably right. Most 407s will be in Europe, where there will be a much higher proportion of fleet cars

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information