306 S16 Owners (and past owners)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 S16 Owners (and past owners)

It seems that I've got a "run away" heat sheild. One of the bolts has broken, it's been patched twice now. Both repairers decided to weld as it seemed difficult to repair the bolt (I'm assuming drilling it out and then re-tap).

Question is : Am I the only one with this problem ?

What would be the task of doing it right ? (does the engine need to come out ?)

Advertisement
    Quick, to the Poojet

Buzz
    Ill assume its the shield on the factory exhaust header? I was lucky enough that this never happened to my S16, but I do know of it. To fix correctly you would have to remove the header which is done from underneath reaching from both above and below it. Its a two man task from what I remember.
    Once its out you can eazy-drive the broken bolt out (or get it out some how) and replace both with stainless. To put back you will need a new gasket. Its all time consuming. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

mate thats one hell off a job pulling those headers out, thats what i was told by several exhaust guys.

How much does it cost to weld and how long does it last?

Good luck with it

cheers

Immy

Good news, the heat shield has not broken away by the weld (just to P me off, it's the other side) !!!!!

last time it cost me around $100 NZ - and the weld is still good - been about 2 months now.

I don't think it's broken this time , may be just needs screw adjustment.
    Quick, to the Poojet

Tadpole

Hi there.

You are not on your own. This happens in the UK to!

My heatshield has gone as well and rattles badly when i rev at 3,000. With the metal expanding and contracting when it keeps getting hot and cold the brackets tend to snap. I have been told to just take it off but it was put there for a reason so dont want to do that!

I have had a look and asked a few mates and they said that depending on how badly the bracket has broken you can just get some washers and place them above and below where the bracket has broken. This can be a quick cheep way to fix this problem.

Hope this helps!

Yeah i have it too at the moment.... very annoying indeed!!!

has anyone got a diagram of all the screw locations for the heatshield above the manifold ? man is it tight back there !!!!!

Other option is to steal a little mirror out of the wifes bag (hehehehehe - is my life worth the hassle if she finds out) or use a small camera connected to the laptop (how sad is that - recording screw locations).
    Quick, to the Poojet

Buzz
    On the weekend i got some stainless steel cable ties, maybe you can use these to tie it down so it wont rattle?
    They were $25 for 10 at my local electrical wholesaler. - Chris
    ... ptui!

i had a rattle on my heat sheld, dove under the car and found a little blue metal clip (maybe it was ment to hold a cable, looked like it but nothing was attached), took that off and it's gone...

Thread Information