Mi16 steering prob
  • Register
  • Help
    al

Default Mi16 steering prob

After an incident with a rough bit of road (the one i bitched about in the pond...) it seems my steering has developed some dramas. I was coming onto the eastern freeway at springvale rd today, and as i hit 100 a really strong judder became apparent (The steering wheel was bouncing around all over the place...)

Advertisement

Is it likely that something was bent in my altercation with the road? I am really suprised that a low speed incident could blow a tyre, let alone damage steering components...

Does anyone have any more precise ideas as to what could be at fault? Any feedback would be muchly appreciated.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by al_
    After an incident with a rough bit of road (the one i bitched about in the pond...) it seems my steering has developed some dramas. I was coming onto the eastern freeway at springvale rd today, and as i hit 100 a really strong judder became apparent (The steering wheel was bouncing around all over the place...)

Is it likely that something was bent in my altercation with the road? I am really suprised that a low speed incident could blow a tyre, let alone damage steering components...

Does anyone have any more precise ideas as to what could be at fault? Any feedback would be muchly appreciated.
    al, are you running your spare on the front - might just be that it is seriously out of balance and or pressure could be well down??

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

al

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    al, are you running your spare on the front - might just be that it is seriously out of balance and or pressure could be well down??

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris,

I checked the pressure and it's fine. The balance thing is probably worth looking into though - It was brand new and had a bit more tread than the others. Would this be enough to cause such violent shudders?

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

sounds serious, i'd get it to a tyre/suspension place asap. Something may have come loose/broken. i'd be interested to hear what the problem was once you got it sorted. good luck
    1984 505 STI

If it's similar to a BX and there's a strong chance it could be, take a peak along the steering column from the floor up.
    They're held in position by rubber grummets and the bushes drop out of position and cause this sensation.
    There's a big grummet at the floor and another just under the edge of the dash. Tap back in using a small hammer and screwdriver and burr the edge over to stiop if dropping down again. The big one at floor leven may have popped if the upper one is bad.
    Also chech at the steering pinion as they have a thing called a "hardydisc" that is in fact a rubber coupling and they often split due to age or in the case of my car where a Sydney repairer of great note was too bloody lazy to replace the heat shield and so it got cooked along with the pinion seals.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

If it's only apparent at higher speeds I'd say there's a good chance that the spare just needs balancing. I had the same problem and balancing both front wheels improved it dramatically, and when I put new rims and tyres on the car the problem went away completely.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

al

Quote Originally Posted by JAG80
    If it's only apparent at higher speeds I'd say there's a good chance that the spare just needs balancing. I had the same problem and balancing both front wheels improved it dramatically, and when I put new rims and tyres on the car the problem went away completely.
    Good call. I was thinking that this may be the case so i took it round to the local tyre place. Turns out it does need balancing, so hopefully this will solve the problem.

I'm also planning on putting a new front right on - Pirelli P6000's any good?

Icon4

Good call. I was thinking that this may be the case so i took it round to the local tyre place. Turns out it does need balancing, so hopefully this will solve the problem.

al, you're not planning on mixing tyres on the front are you

Hope the balance fixes the shudder

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Hey al, glad to hear that mate. Not sure about the Pirellis on the Mi16. I've got some on my Alfa and they seem pretty grippy. On the Mi16 i've got ContiPremiumContacts which I'm pretty happy with. Guess it depends on how much you can spend.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

al

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood
    al, you're not planning on mixing tyres on the front are you

Hope the balance fixes the shudder

Cheers
    Chris
    Definately not mixing tyres, particularly worn ones with new ones... I'm probably going to pick up another set, and use the current ones for any motorkhanas or trackdays i plan on doing before i get a dedicated car going for that.

The guy i spoke to recommended the pirellis over the michies - something to do with thailand... can't remember what though.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys... It's good to have somewhere to turn to when crap stuff happens.......

I experienced shudder under acceleration a few months ago, just from driving extremely hard through a road I use to thrash my motorcycle through. I came to a stop at an intersecting road and then as I accelerated off, the car wobbled like mad.

I checked if a wheel weight had fallen off... nope... I checked for a rock wedged in the tyre tread... nope, I checked everything and more.

It turned out, that it only wobbled under acceleration for a reason... my inner CV joints were utterly shagged, and I had just bought the car at this stage. $500 later, I had new joints and all is well now.

Something to keep in mind, if its only on acceleration. Rear wheel drives cars get this too, when either the tail shaft, or drive shafts experience the same thing.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

al

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    I experienced shudder under acceleration a few months ago, just from driving extremely hard through a road I use to thrash my motorcycle through. I came to a stop at an intersecting road and then as I accelerated off, the car wobbled like mad.

I checked if a wheel weight had fallen off... nope... I checked for a rock wedged in the tyre tread... nope, I checked everything and more.

It turned out, that it only wobbled under acceleration for a reason... my inner CV joints were utterly shagged, and I had just bought the car at this stage. $500 later, I had new joints and all is well now.

Something to keep in mind, if its only on acceleration. Rear wheel drives cars get this too, when either the tail shaft, or drive shafts experience the same thing.

pips
    That is something to keep in mind, but hopefully a balance and new rubber will fix the prob.

I've been told it is most likely balance because it only wobbles at over 110... (as everyone knows there is no need to do over 110km/h anyway )

If it only started after the incident with the road, I have problems trying to put a wheel balance in as a logical solution.
    Either the diagnosis is wrong or it was there before the incident otherwise, how could the incident cause the problem unless it knocked an existing balance weight off? If it is in fact wheel related, I'd be more inclined to look at a buckle if the circumstances leading up to it are correct.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

al

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    If it only started after the incident with the road, I have problems trying to put a wheel balance in as a logical solution.
    Either the diagnosis is wrong or it was there before the incident otherwise, how could the incident cause the problem unless it knocked an existing balance weight off? If it is in fact wheel related, I'd be more inclined to look at a buckle if the circumstances leading up to it are correct.

Alan S
    I think a balance was diagnosed because the spare (which is on it at the moment) has more tread than the other front tyre. It can't be a buckled rim as the spare has never been on the car before, so i think the tyre guy presumed it must be balance related... sounded plausable to me anyway.

I need a spare set of rubber anyway, (and probably wheels soon if anyone has any) so i'll start with tyres and hope it solves the problem.

Thread Information