Mi16 coolant URGENT HELP PLZ!!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 water pump URGENT HELP PLEASE

after putting my 1.9 mi16 engine back together after a reco'd head, after a few litres of coolant goes into the radiator, it starts simply flowing out the region of the water pump pulley (toothed pulley near crank pulley). i mean literally flowing! all hoses are new and tight. does the water pump need tension on it to seal or something?? because the timing belt is not on yet...

can a water pump let go in this kind of fashion? considering it was fine b4 the head came off, but it hasnt been in action for a few months.

Advertisement

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!
    Last edited by bj_dove; 18th May 2005 at 03:32 PM.
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Here's a likely starter that I wrote up recently.

Citroen BX16V/Mi16 A disaster waiting to happen; have you got one?

It is possible (albeit unlikely) that there has been a total collapse of the water pump, however, for the price of a pump against the cost of a cambelt break which is what happens when pumps totally collapsed. I would have had the pump out of the car and inspected as at least a precaution if I was doing a cambelt.
    When the cambelt is fitted, it will be nigh on impossible to get tension correctly on the belt if the pump is faulty as for the seal to leak that bad will mean that the bearing is totally knackered and should be easy to detect by moving (or applying force) sideways.

If the Mi16 has the same intake hose as the BX, just check to see if that has gone all spongy where it connects to the pump intake as grease from a split CV boot will rot it and cause it to let go without warning.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

ive gone on the side of safety and ordered a new water pump, because there must be something majorly wrong. its just strange considering it was going fine before the extended holiday

As they say; "Read my lips!!" check the stuff I mentioned in that write up and that hose that connects to the pump intake. You won't be the first to have been caught with one of those many spots I mention and in each case all thought it was a water pump.

On a Pug, PeterT is of the opinion that taking the driveshaft out is the easiets option. This could be the case, but we found it not all that difficult by rolling the engine forwards, I suppose it depends a lot on your ability as well as your workshop facilities and of course a Pug doesn't have the added imposition of a pile of hydraulic lines so in that case I'd be inclined to go Peter's way in preference to mine.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

bj, in addition, the pump seals rely on coolant for lubrication - this is one of the minor functions of coolant. So a lack of coolant, or no movement or circulation, can certainly bugger up the seals once the shaft is moved again. There's also the chance that a build up of crud formed on the seal lips.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

after i pull out the old one, ill post a diagnosis

Thread Information