S16 HELP yet again
  • Register
  • Help

Default S16 HELP yet again

I could start the thread with "I have a strange sound coming from the engine" but I'll try a little harder to explain :

At around 3.5 to 4 on the tacho I get a metal griding sound (like what you get when you have a stone in the brake kind of sound). Below 3.5 I don't seem to get it and if I push on past 4 it seems to stop (our I just can't hear it from the roar of the engine - bad joke). It seems to be coming from the driver side.

If taken the tyre off and had a wee poke around, can't find anything, had a look in the engine bay - not much room to swing a cat (sorry cat lovers) - good news is the engine is still there, at a loss to locate it.

Advertisement

I would think that I'd get the horrible sound at low speed but no, you have to get the car up above the 3.5 mark.

Any hints or glues , starting points ??????

Just to add to it, when the front wheels are turned it seems to go away but in a straight line it comes back.

Had the window down (and yes it was cold) and it's definatly gridding sound.
    Quick, to the Poojet

just by the nature it seems strange... im no mechanic but an irregular sound depending on both your wheel position and engine revs? im totally lost...

hopefully someone can help, kos those engines are just plain sexy
    '92 405 mi16

Could I have broken the heat shield again ?
    Quick, to the Poojet

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

sounds like an exhaust issue to me but only in a straight line is strange

check the system out
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

You really need to throw the car up on some ramps and get someone too jump in and slowly rev the engine until the noise is heard. Then you can have a poke around and find the source.
    Good luck mate let us know what you find,

Dave

I'm sure its either the heat baffels or the flex joint. My old S16 made same noises too, from the exhaust baffels resonating at a certain revs. This included a slightly "too old" exhaust flex pipe. I had the baffles nocked out the way a little, and had a new flex pipe installed.
    The reason why it dosn't do it when the front wheels are turned is probably because the camber on the wheels loads up the the shafts, which in turn loads the gearbox/engine and everything else connected... i think... This loading is like something holding onto the engine a little tighter, enough to remove the resonance from your exhaust.... i think. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information