505 transmisions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

505 transmisions

i have a 505 wagon with a 4 speed auto box the car tows a 900kg tailer every day and carries the odd 1or 10 bags of concrete int the back
    it does this all day realitivly easy
    but lately the auto has suffered and i have been tolded it will cost between $2500-$3300 to have it rebuilt
    i have also been told these boxes are not as stong as the 3 speed auto
    i am also under the impression the the 4 speed is much slower than the 3 speed
    so i quess my question is which box is less likely to have problems under these conditions?

Advertisement

In my experience, the one behind a flywheel and clutch...

The strongest and most troublefree unit would be the BA7/4 for the wagon, a regular 1976-on 504 box.

If you want to stick with an auto, I'd reckon it's a tossup between a Borg Warner 35 and the 3-speed ZF.

From what's been written here before, the Borg Warner might need the odd service, but costs next to nothing for that service, while the ZF rarely needs attention, but it's expensive when it does.

Inexpensive service costs would also indicate less downtime...

Now, to convert your wagon to any of these, you'll have to get the longer tailshaft and torque tube...

VIP Sponsor
    The three speed ZF operates better than the Borg Warner. Much nicer driving experience.

Graham Wallis

I'm told the middle ratio in the Borg Warner is a more usable gear, too... forgot about that.

Less of a step down from top gear, better for overtaking and, I guess, towing...

Thread Information