205 GTI insurance
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI insurance

Hi guys, wondering whether anyone can help regarding cost of comprehensive insurance on a 1988 205 GTI. Its a friend of mine and he has just turned 18.The car is registered in his mothers names, she has a driver rating of 1.Which insurers do you suggest. cheers josephk

Advertisement
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

HI,

I was 19 when i insured my 205 gti, cost 1800 a year. after I wrote it off, I brought another one hardly anyone would insure me except for NRMA which was 1400 a year. Insurance is crazy. Oh and if he writes off the car in his mothers name don't expect any payout.

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by josephk
    Hi guys, wondering whether anyone can help regarding cost of comprehensive insurance on a 1988 205 GTI. Its a friend of mine and he has just turned 18.The car is registered in his mothers names, she has a driver rating of 1.Which insurers do you suggest. cheers josephk
    If your not doing lots of k's Shannons were really cheap. Admittedly I'm really old but $315 includes modifications like cage/seats/rear discs/sump guard and covers full comprehensive even on recce, anything's covered except actual timed competition. I think it's meant to do less than 5000k's per year?
    Chris
    205gti

Iíve only got third party on my 205 & Iím glad thatís the case ($110/yr).
    I have owned my car for about 4 yrs & if I had been paying $1400-$1800 for insurance I would have paid more insurance by now than the cars worth!!!! So it doesnít bother me now as Iím ahead.
    But I guess you would have to hope that you donít prang it in the first 4 yrs without comprehensive insurance.
    The car is nearly worth enough in parts to wreck it yourself if you did though.
    I guess some people would say Iím stupid thoughÖ
    -Will
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Around $700 for full comprehensive from AAMI and rating 1 for life... but then I've reached the magical age for insurance (25 ).

Still it surprised me after the much cheaper rates for the bug over the last few years.
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

im with good old RACV, got third party, fire and theft... been on the policy for 2 years now since i was 18, the car is in my name and it costs like 700 a year or so, 3rd party is a risk as ive got a loan to pay off... just gotta drive very conservatively

Joe - I'd hazard a guess and say you'd be doing well to get a quote under $1500-$2000, depending on where the car is living and whether its garaged or not.

Third party fire and theft, a good immobiliser, and a bit of common sense is all he needs!

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    ... but then I've reached the magical age for insurance (25 ).
    Can't wait!
    1990 205Gti
    1976 504 rally car (currently out of action)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    Around $700 for full comprehensive from AAMI and rating 1 for life... but then I've reached the magical age for insurance (25 ).

Still it surprised me after the much cheaper rates for the bug over the last few years.
    Not stupid at all. I always figured much the same, I could replace the car every few years for the cost of insurance. 2years ago I put comphrehensive insurance on my first car (the CX GTi Turbo). At that stage I was 29 and it cost $460bux a year for full agreed value comphrehesive which I think is a must. It'll only take one sh!t for brains middle aged women in a 3ton tank crunch one of it's bumpers in a carpark and I'll have to ship another bumper from the UK at great cost. This way insurance covers it.

If I was younger I simply could not have driven such a car on comphrehensive insurance, the risk for great expenditure (and time off the road for repairs) is just to great.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I got quotes around $2500 for full comprehensive. They didnt give a stuff about my 60% no claim bonus from my previous car, all they cared about was that i was under 25 by a couple of months and that it was a GTI. I ended up getting third party + fire and theft.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by josephk
    crap all you guys have high insurance over in oz!!! here in nz i got full insurance at 17/18 on my gti at $1000 im now 19 and are paying $750 a year!!!

Thread Information