306 XSi causing issues...
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 306 XSi causing issues...

Hey all... wondered if anyone from "down under" can give me some advice...

I have a 306 XSi, its a 16V 2 litre lump, which is now on 96k.

Recently, i have been having problems with the car. Its not well :-(

Basically the symptoms are :

Bad idle (Only when the wheels are turning, sometimes to the point where the engine cuts out)

Flat spot, engine very unresponsive

Advertisement

Basically just not going as a 2litre XSi should. I recently cleaned out the throttle body with some intake cleaner (its was foul!), and its got better, but still not right. Anyone else ever had this happen, or care to shed some light for me? I had a code-read on the management system, no faults found on that, also i dont get the Management light on the dash (only when the ignition is on / engine not running, as usual).

Thanks for the help!

Kev.

Thinking of it, im not sure if the XSi was availible in australia.. im pretty sure my car has a simular engine to the 406. Not 100% sure on this tho.
    306 Xsi 16V

1997 306 XSi 16V, Full Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Induction Kit, JVC / Pioneer ICE

Default 306 XSi...

Not over familiar with the 306 but this problem with FI cars generally, stalling etc could be caused by over rich fuel mixture or a faulty "stepper" motor or auxilliary air valve. The last two carry out a similar operation so your car would be fitted with one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Not over familiar with the 306 but this problem with FI cars generally, stalling etc could be caused by over rich fuel mixture or a faulty "stepper" motor or auxilliary air valve. The last two carry out a similar operation so your car would be fitted with one or the other.
    Thanks for the reply!

I think its got a stepper motor on it, infact im sure it does.

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Kev
    306 Xsi 16V

1997 306 XSi 16V, Full Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Induction Kit, JVC / Pioneer ICE

We have the Xsi here, I own one.
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 306
    We have the Xsi here, I own one.
    Excellent

Perhaps (being the dr 306) :-) you may be able to shed some light on the situation :-)

Gotta love the Gold XSi Had a Diablo Red one before that.
    306 Xsi 16V

all injected cars have a stepper motor of some sort. too reset the stepper motor just turn the ignition onto reds for 10 seconds then turn it on. not sayn itl fix ya problem but a tech tip. if its got issues with it while its driving it wont be the stepper motor. stepper only controls idle. posibly a air leak somwhere. maybe u need too clean the cobwebs outa it. i do it every day! hahaha. in oz we got xsi's but in four door only. the superchip u have, did it by any chance move up or delete the rev limiter??

Linchpin,
    does your XSi have a cast iron block or an alloy block?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default 306 XSi causing issues.

Linchpin,
    I had to admire flyNxsi's attempt to reply to your post in the Welsh language form I must correct him on one point. He said that the stepper motor is purely for idle control, a too simplistic explanation.
    The stepper motor as well as the above also controls engine load such as. When the air conditioner is engaged. Also to cope with the power steering when manoeuvring at low speeds and when the automatic trans is engaged.

As I said previously I'm not au fait with the 306, my replies are generalisations.
    So I will add one more thing. The throttle switch or micro switch at the throttle butterfly may be out of adjustment. I believe this affects the stepper motor. x25

PS. Check posts above yours. "Stepper Motor Thingy".
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 20th May 2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spell

Tadpole

My boyfriends other car (not an XSi) is the citroen xsara (well there french!!) I found that it was the temperature probe on the air intake. Mine kept on cutting out for no reason at all. After I wiped it clean no problems at all!! Hope it helps!!!

Fellow Frogger!

my old xsi had cutting out problems but more due to the aircon. Was fixed by cleaning the intake and hosing with carby cleaner (by Paul V)

Thread Information