406 clutch problems?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 406 clutch problems?

Hi there guys,

I just got a 406 on Saturday, and I've found changing gear hard. The stick needs a good jab to get it into gear, and when I change into reverse it crunches slightly.

It's as if I'm not pressing the clutch hard enough, but I've really got my toe stuck into the peddle!

Is this a slack cable? I read somewhere that some 406s have hydraulic clutches? Mine is 1997/1998 406 GLX 2.0 saloon.

Advertisement

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Chris,
    The clutch is hydrolically operated. Possibly that master or slave cylinder are allowing fluid past the seals. The clutch kit for V6's (not sure 'bout 4 cylinder ones,probably the same) come as a complete assy ie. matser & slave cylinders with the interconnecting pipe. Much pounds/euros/dollars. One way to price up the cost of spare parts.

By the way if you keep driving/crunching the gears like that you could end up needing a reco gear box.

Hey whats this with Birmingham and 406's? Say hello to AndrewR .He's the V6 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by christhorn
    Hi there guys,

I just got a 406 on Saturday, and I've found changing gear hard. The stick needs a good jab to get it into gear, and when I change into reverse it crunches slightly.

It's as if I'm not pressing the clutch hard enough, but I've really got my toe stuck into the peddle!

Is this a slack cable? I read somewhere that some 406s have hydraulic clutches? Mine is 1997/1998 406 GLX 2.0 saloon.

Thanks for the help!

Chris
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Tadpole

Default 406 clutch problems

Guys,

Getting reverse gear to engage in a 406 (SV) is a bit of an art at the best of times..

If the cogs are in the wrong spot, select first gear, move about one inch forward then try again... works every time....

Hey .. it's a feature !!

Paul

Fellow Frogger!

Default 1997 406

Mine has a cable the later models had hydraulic.
    Cables can bind when old making clutch heavy.

Graelin

[QUOTE=christhorn]Hi there guys,

Chris .. read the thread about how do you wreck a clutch... my GTI6 is doing what you have and I am up for a new clutch.. the clutch is no longer disengaging properly...mine does it in first second and reverse... try turning off motor... does it get easier then? is so......... it could be the clutch!
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by christhorn
    Hi there guys,

Thanks for the help!

Chris
    well, not very likely but when was the last time the brake fluid was changed ?? You know the hydraulic clutch shares the fluid and maybe the fluid has air/water in it ??
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    well, not very likely but when was the last time the brake fluid was changed ?? You know the hydraulic clutch shares the fluid and maybe the fluid has air/water in it ??
    Lets stop talking about fluids as the D8 models in 4 cylinder have a cable operation.

The cable and actuation on this model is actually a major pain in the neck.
    We replaced ours when we bought it at 50Kkm and it actually made no difference to a new one. Its something you have to get used to due to the length of the cable in RHD cars. Did someone say Fuego? - remember how far they go under the bonnet...
    Sometimes you just hope the clutch will follow your foot out as you release the clutch - thats how weak the spring loading appears sometimes. Thats how I feel after driving a 206gti and get into a 406 manual.

Back to the point - grinding gears etc - a New clutch may be on the horizon.

ipb.

Thread Information