205 TD Electric Windows
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 205 TD Electric Windows

I have recently bought a M Reg 205 TD, and the two front electric windows dont work

I have never tried to fix anything electrical in a car before, so any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

I've been told its most probably a problem with the fuses or relays, dont know what that means tho, so... erm... help! lol

Advertisement

If anyone can let me know where to start, or even guide me thru finding and solving the problem, i will be forever in your debt

TIA

Jaymz

Default Probably fuse or relay

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz
    I have recently bought a M Reg 205 TD, and the two front electric windows dont work

I have never tried to fix anything electrical in a car before, so any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

I've been told its most probably a problem with the fuses or relays, dont know what that means tho, so... erm... help! lol

If anyone can let me know where to start, or even guide me thru finding and solving the problem, i will be forever in your debt

TIA

Jaymz
    Firstly, I'm insanely jealous. We don't get the 205 diesel here. Next, because we don't get it unless the electrics are the same as our petrol 205s we would be guessing. What year...."M" is about 1993?? How many doors? (You said "front" this suggests that there are back doors.) If it's a two door and both windows don't work, then a fuse or relay is the most obvious culprit. Be patient....205 owners that are Aussiefrog members will come to the rescue!
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by tassie505gti
    Firstly, I'm insanely jealous. We don't get the 205 diesel here. Next, because we don't get it unless the electrics are the same as our petrol 205s we would be guessing. What year...."M" is about 1993?? How many doors? (You said "front" this suggests that there are back doors.) If it's a two door and both windows don't work, then a fuse or relay is the most obvious culprit. Be patient....205 owners that are Aussiefrog members will come to the rescue!
    well... what can i say

there are back doors, but they are mechanical windows, the two front doors are electric, and neither of them work. No motors moving, no noises, not a thing! If it is the fuses, how would i check this, and is there anywhere i can get a diagram or something to show me what to do?

Thanks

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz
    well... what can i say

there are back doors, but they are mechanical windows, the two front doors are electric, and neither of them work. No motors moving, no noises, not a thing! If it is the fuses, how would i check this, and is there anywhere i can get a diagram or something to show me what to do?

Thanks
    the fuses are on the passenger side in the glove box should have symbols showing you which one is for the windows. I have had a problem with the ones in my 205gti and the only way i could tell it was the motor was to check to see if there is power going to it. so get a tester and just see if there is 12v going to the motor if not then you know its in the circuit somewhere.

good luck

205 switches have a habit of sticking. I'd try the cleaning the contacts first. Unplug the switches open them up and give them a good clean and see if that works. Should only take you a few minutes. Best of luck.

Tadpole

thanks for the replys, i will try cleaning them first, then see if i can get a tester and find out if its the motors.

ill get back to ya if it doesnt work

Great timing on the thread, my passenger electric window on a 205 SI goes down slow for half the window them goes normal speed. I think a bit of lube on the window might solve the problem. What does everyone think for the lube?

Thread Information