206 Model Update
  • Register
  • Help

206 Model Update

A cosmetic update has just been launched downunder for the 206 and Peugeot Oz has its press release <a href="http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_PEU/doc_peu0308191/cms/news/newsarticle.html" target="_blank">here</a>.

Here's my summary:

* 206 1.6 models (XR & XT) to rise by $500

* 1.4 XR gets "sports style rear bumper", option of grey trim

* XT gets leather bound steering wheel & manual gear knob, 'flaked' charcoal style centre instrument cluster surround, aluminium finished door handles, handbrake and airvent slides and body coloured door handles & finally a chrome plated glovebox handle.

* GTi gets the chrome plated glovebox handle, black background instrument cluster with chrome surround (I never liked the white background

As you can see, it's all fairly cosmetic. There are a few pics in the above link, including the honeycomb grille. Introduction of free form clear headlamp lenses on the rest of the 206 range is a big plus, IMHO - it does quite a bit for the front styling.

Advertisement

Don't know whether they improved the plastics quality though. It's still selling I guess.

<small>[ 20 August 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Pug307:
    It's still selling I guess.
    It's still selling? Sheesh it's only Europe's most popular car :p Lots of people must be happy with the quality of plastics.

A facelift after ~5 years...should still see it on the market for another 5 years or more then

Derek

I do have a soft spot for the 206. The 206 1.4 automatic at 24,990 is a bit steep though.
    I have never driven one though.. 2_cents

1000+ Posts
    danielsydney:
    I do have a soft spot for the 206. The 206 1.4 automatic at 24,990 is a bit steep though.
    Learn to drive a manual then wink
    Derek

<small>[ 21 August 2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: DeKa ]</small>

danielsydney:
    I have never driven one though.. 2_cents
    I drove the 206 1.4 Auto once as a loaner when I was getting my car serviced, I found it to a bit of a slug. If you must go for an auto the 1.6 is much better.

Troy.

<small>[ 21 August 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: TroyO ]</small>

XTC
    TroyO:
    I drove the 206 1.4 Auto once as a loaner when I was getting my car serviced, I found it to a bit of a slug. If you must go for an auto the 1.6 is much better.Troy.
    As loaners I've had 1.4 auto, 1.6 auto and 1.4 man. The pick of the bunch was the 1.4 man ... the 1.6 auto was OK, but it was still a slug, the 1.4 man you had the "row" the gearbox a little, but it was far more entertaining (if a little noisy).

Dealers are doing away with manual loan cars - too many customers can't drive them.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

the 1.6 manual is pretty good! wink
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

XTC
    MR206:
    I haven't driven one ... but you'd be glad to have the manual over the auto, that's for sure.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

nJm
    I've driven a 206 1.4Auto with 4 guys in it trying to pull itself up a twisty mountain road! It actually went really well considering all things. That poor little engine spent most of its time between 4500 and the redline - this was going to be a very well run-in loan car! I liked the way the auto was holding onto gears, helped getting through the twisties. Steering was beautifully precise (first FWD car I can say that about!). Main complaints was the ride quality/dampening. It really lacked in this area - it really didn't cope well with irregularities in the road.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC
    nJm:
    I've driven a 206 1.4Auto with 4 guys in it trying to pull itself up a twisty mountain road!
    4 guys probably meant something like a 280-350kg payload .. no wonder the thing had it's box revved off !!!

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

nJm:
    I Main complaints was the ride quality/dampening. It really lacked in this area - it really didn't cope well with irregularities in the road.
    Again, you had 200-300 extra kilos, most of it over the back wheels. This will kill the handleing of any small car.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

MR206:
    Yes indeed, quite a nippy car.

Troy.

I've driven the 1.4A, 1.6M & 1.6A.

The 1.4 mates quite well to the AL4 auto, I felt it had better logic than the AL4 in my car, as well as having smoother shifts. Although it's slower than my car, it actually feels faster off the line because of the cable throttle - when you prod it, it responds faster. In addition, the throttle travel is quite small, so your throttle movements are exacerbated in comparison to a longer throw throttle. It still suffered from the same AL4 slow shifting between 1st & 2nd gear and when you turned winter mode on, you'd get this clunking that'd resonate throughout the whole car.

The 1.6A doesn't feel as fast as you'd expect compared to the 1.4A - it moves well enough, but not as well as you'd expect it to. Whilst there's great power/weight, the real life torque characteristics of the engine don't work well with an auto. The 1.6M moves quite nicely, but is spoilt by the gearbox.

Empty or full, I still can't work out what's so great about the 206's ride (crappy rattly plastics don't help my impression). The Clio is practically in a totally different world compared to the 206 in this regard. The one main advantage I noticed about the 206 over the 307 in regards to ride was that it had longer suspension travel - but this didn't translate into a particularly supple or quiet ride.

On my test route, alone the car still felt wanting for damping. Over the same roads, the 307 definately has better body control, whereas when pushed, the 206 would start to heave a little (the rear dampers in the 206 are puny compared to the 307's). Plus those lousy Goodyear bits of rubber were pretty lousy, I'd put them on a Tonka truck! I've found the braking wanting in the 206 too.

I have to say, just from a quick short run, the GTi feels far superior to the normal 206s Plus it dashboard is made from somewhat more civilised plastics, but Audi aint gonna be running scared

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information