just out of interest...
  • Register
  • Help

Default just out of interest...

why do peugeot have such narrow selection with regards to body styles?

Advertisement

ie. why are there no four door sedan 307s?

is it unreasonable to assume that if peugeot produced a sedan 307 they would have a mighty rival for the small mercs/bmws, for a similar price range as higher end commodores? i just dont understand the logic behind it...

maybe the french have a certain thing about wagons and hatchbacks, but really, why must the smallest four door sedan peugeot available (new) be a 407? theyre pretty darn big (and sexy)

something about the whole thing doesnt sit right with me, can someone explain?
    '92 405 mi16

Fellow Frogger!

European tastes I would imagine.

Hatchbacks are far more practical. There was the 306 sedan but it never looked quite right in my opinion.

The small sedan must not sell well in Europe. The new Golf sedan i.e Jetta is only sold in North America now, VW are not even bothering with one for the European market.

I'm not sure if a 307 sedan would be a rival for the small Mercedes/BMWs. Think about it, the smallest Mercedes sedan you can get is a C-Class right? This is prime 407 territory, no one would expect a 307 to align with a C-Class. Take BMW, the 1-Series is a hatchback, and like with the C-Class, a 307 would never compete with a 3-Series.

I think Peugeot are pretty representative of the wider European market. American tastes are totally different, and without a presence in the U.S. I doubt Peugeot have any desire to conform to their tastes.

DongFend in China are building sedan 307's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails just out of interest...-peugeot_307_2.0_2004_004_dongfeng-peugeot.jpg   just out of interest...-peugeot_307_2.0_2004_001_dongfeng-peugeota.jpg  

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

And the ad for the sedan 307 (its a 21.2MB file) http://www.dfmc.com.cn/videoAds/Peugeot_307.rm

http://www.peugeot.com.cn/configure/...rc.php?id=1745 for info about the sedan.

In Australia: 05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: 09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Is it that we might not get all the options here?

That might have to do with perceived market placement and costs of ADR testing...

Yes Ray, you're probably on the right track... cost of compliance testing probably doesn't warrant the expenditure. If Peugeot think it is the 306 sedan revisited then anticipated sales may justify the decision
    Also production costs may be prohibitive. Don't know if the 307 sedan is available in Pommyland.. if not, then producing RH drive sedans wouldn't be viable

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    European tastes I would imagine.

Hatchbacks are far more practical. There was the 306 sedan but it never looked quite right in my opinion.

The small sedan must not sell well in Europe. The new Golf sedan i.e Jetta is only sold in North America now, VW are not even bothering with one for the European market.
    All to do with taste, I suppose. The Jetta (ie. the Bora in Australia) is an extremely popular car in the US, whereas the Golf is nowhere near it. This is based on my observations (I'm on hols there at the moment) so if anyone has any real figures that would be good.

The 306 sedan was not a very strong seller here (as I don't think the Bora is either) and the 307 sedan was only released last year, and as others have said I think only the Chinese are building it. I'm not sure I'd want to buy a Chinese-made 307 anyway.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

yeah another reason why the 306 (sr?) sedan didnt sell all that well was due to its price! think it was nearly 30 odd grand! and i think it was optioned the same as the 306xt.

oh yah, its arse and side profile didnt help either.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    yeah another reason why the 306 (sr?) sedan didnt sell all that well was due to its price! think it was nearly 30 odd grand! and i think it was optioned the same as the 306xt.

oh yah, its arse and side profile didnt help either.
    Ummm, there was more than one spec. I had an N5 (October 97 build date) 306 sedan in XR form. That meant no power windows in the back, no power mirrors, no foggies, etc...

As for looks, I actually quite like the sedan. In profile it has a nice wedge shape, direct from the rear it looked good too. Only from a 3/4 rear angle did it look odd.

but i fugn lurve this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails just out of interest...-306coupe.jpg   just out of interest...-306coupe1.jpg  
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i don't think the market in this country either would support more pug body shapes

this country has nearly always been at the end of the pug ladder and we have nearly always got basically the left overs

even when the 205 first came out it still wasn't the full on GTi and it wasn't untill the GTi-6 that we started to see something great

the Mi-16 was also detuned

the 504 only ever came out in sedan and wagon here yet the 203/403/404 before it had the ute

bottom line for peugeot doesn't work for them here
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Originally posted by pugrambo
    i don't think the market in this country either would support more pug body shapes
    Probably true, but more because of the strain it would put on Peugeot and the dealer network than anything.

Carrying a wider range would introduce a greater spares inventory, greater promotional material needs, more display and demo cars etc.

.....this country has nearly always been at the end of the pug ladder and we have nearly always got basically the left overs.....
    This is a pretty strange way of looking at it...

'Leftovers' would indicate that you think we get only dregs? Stuff that doesn't sell elsewhere? Or do you mean bottom of the pile stuff?

No, look again.

We get what they current strategists think they can sell for a profit here, in keeping with any long term goals they might have.

For years we have had European makers selling their upmarket models here. Like the 205GTi, for instance. Did we get the base models? No! Why? Because they can make more out of the upmarket models.

Did we get the 504L, which could have sold at a much lower price than the GL? No, they squeezed the Australian buyer a little more and sold the GL and the TI here.

The same would apply with more cars across the range. And it made some sense too... by bringing in the 105, for instance, Peugeot would have put its name on the same chopping block as Daihatsu and Suzuki. And been unable to compete with them on price.

.....even when the 205 first came out it still wasn't the full on GTi and it wasn't untill the GTi-6 that we started to see something great.....
    It wasn't the 'full on GTi'? There were differences?

So apart from them having to make the cars right hand drive especially for us (using parts, of course, that were made for the British market), they changed the mechanical package?

That removes us further from the leftover table.

.....the Mi-16 was also detuned.....
    Maybe something to do with our ADRs? Or maybe even a perceived need to cope with our ADRs?

Look again at this issue, by the way. Was the 'detuned' engine used anywhere else in the world? If 'yes', then it wasn't a special issue for our market. If 'no' then it shows they did something different to meet the needs of our market.

Again... we're not getting 'leftovers'...

.....the 504 only ever came out in sedan and wagon here yet the 203/403/404 before it had the ute.....
    Who was doing the Australian Peugeot marketing at this time?

Renault, right?

Maybe they didn't see the usefulness of the ute... or maybe they felt they had a wide enough range.

What surprises me is that you haven't mentioned the glamour cars, the coupes and cabriolets. They would have sold well here... why didn't they come?

.....bottom line for peugeot doesn't work for them here
    What does this mean?

1000+ Posts

The 404 ute wasn't a big success for Renault. There are problems asembling a ute on the same production lines as cars, so this caused a few major assembly line adjustments. They put through a major run of utes, so that they were stacked everywhere. Every vacant lot in West Heidelberg seemed to be full of green 404 utes. And they didn't sell. For one thing, they were sent up country as a cab/chassis. Farmers wanted to buy a ute off the showroom floor they could put straight to work. They were heavily discounted (down to around $1650) and Renault never touched them again. Ironically by that time the market had started to build for them. Wish I'd bought one.

Probably a legacy, also, of Peugeot being out of the ute market for a number of years...

And, of course, once they were again popular, they had no doubt already decided that they wouldn't do the 504 version for the reasons you'd mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    but i fugn lurve this:
    I dont understand what kinda bodystyle it is

Was it a sedan which has been modified to look like a coupe?

Not too keen on the "max power" kit but other than that it looks amazing!

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    There was the 306 sedan but it never looked quite right in my opinion.
    I know that you said "in my opinion", but in my opinion, the 306 sedan was just beautiful. I really really wanted a 306 sedan Hdi

Cheers
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 505604
    I know that you said "in my opinion", but in my opinion, the 306 sedan was just beautiful.
    I have always been under the impression the 306 was originally designed as a hatch, I just feel when they tack on a boot as an afterthought it never looks quite right. It doesn't really form a cohesive design.

Having said that it's certainly not an ugly car and had it been tweaked slightly could've been more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    I dont understand what kinda bodystyle it is

Was it a sedan which has been modified to look like a coupe?

Not too keen on the "max power" kit but other than that it looks amazing!

Cyas Stalled
    Very good stalled....!
    That car was built by Eccosse in Scotland, it was 4 door sedan converted to 2 door, using bigger doors from a 2 door N5 Hatch. It has a turbo 16v motor and a B3tt 5speed box, and was featured on the cover of (as you guessed) Max Power,... ha. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information