Exhaust Gaskets
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Exhaust Gaskets

mlb

Default Exhaust Gaskets

Help. I need a quick answer to a job I'm in the middle of.

I'm renewing my exhaust manifold gaskets. I've taken the old ones out and they seem to have a metal exterior - ie small thin sheets that look like shims on either side of the gasket. The replacement ones I've got from EAI are just purely gasket material. Should I remove the bits of metal and put them on the new gaskets, or do I just put the new ones on as is.

Advertisement

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Matt,

You dont need the silver bits.

The gaskets EAI have been sending of late seem to not be the same as the old ones, they work fine though!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Matt,

You dont need the silver bits.

The gaskets EAI have been sending of late seem to not be the same as the old ones, they work fine though!

Cheers

Ben
    Groovy, Cheers Dude

Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

[memo to Scroogey self]Make sure you don't lose any old style exhaust gaskets. The new ones sound like they won't be reusable.[/memo to Scroogey self]

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    [memo to Scroogey self]Make sure you don't lose any old style exhaust gaskets. The new ones sound like they won't be reusable.[/memo to Scroogey self]
    No, I don't think they would be. However after messing around and changing the gaskets there's no real difference.

However, I gave my car the Redex treatment after doing the exhaust - lots of smoke, way cool - and I found another use for it. It's a pearler for finding exhaust leaks. I found that the flange at the end of the manifold going to the pipe is leaking. I've got the gasket to fix it, but I put it in the too hard basket today and thought I'd just do the manifold. That'll teach me. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.

Matt

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

hows the car going after the redex ?

ya gotta love the smoke that pours out

just goes to show how much carbon builds up in such a short time

you may need to slightly re tune the car again after a week or 2
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Back on deck, 'rambo?

I thought you must have had an 'away' job this weekend...

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    hows the car going after the redex ?

ya gotta love the smoke that pours out

just goes to show how much carbon builds up in such a short time

you may need to slightly re tune the car again after a week or 2
    Hard to tell how it's going. It seems to pick up quite a bit smoother. Although I'm not sure if that's just because it's a bit quieter. I also adjusted the points a bit, although I think it made things worse. A bit more pinging than before and the engine seems to be working harder on the highway - judging by the econoscope. Funnily the points gap is now at 0.013" (haynes recommend (0.016") but the dwell angle is less than around 45 (Haynes 57). So I'll have a bit more of a play tomorrow.

All in all though, the result of this weekend will be the car will be running better. After the Redex, exhaust work, and playing with the ignition I think all will be good. I also got the thermo fan working. Bloody hell that pushes out some volume. Scared the crap out of me when I went for a run after the Redex. As the car was hot, the fan was engaged. I heard this increasing roar as the engine increased in revs. Took me a couple of seconds to realise it was my fan.

As for the smoke . I was expecting the neighbours to complain. Sh!t there was a lot of it. I started just drizzling it in to start with and it wasn't doing much, so I picked up the tempo. That made a difference. I don't think I've ever seen so much smoke come out of a car . It was still coming out after I put the entire 250ml through. I'm thinking maybe another shot might be the go. Just to get rid of anything left - plus it's good fun . Might have to do it elsewhere though - like at the in-laws

Matt

mlb

Now I have replaced all the gaskets, things have not changed much. What I have found is the flange that bolts the manifold to the pipe is not exactly parallel - it looks like a previous repair job has been done there. So I am still getting exhaust leakage. It is along the side where there are no bolts so I cannot just tighten everything up to make it fit

I tried packing the gap with exhaust sealant and that worked a treat. However as it dries hard, it eventually fell out. I'm wondering now if I could pack it with black silicon, that way it would flex and hopefully stay there as well as adhering to the surfaces.

And please don't tell me to separate the flange and put the sealant in there. I spent all last weekend fooling around with the manifold, and if I have to undo it again I may just shoot myself . I would prefer a nice and easy fix - even if it's not technically kosher. As long as it works.

Thanks for the advice

Matt

MIG?

Black silicon goes hard or maybe crumbly with exhaust heat, I'm fairly sure... it's gap filling, but not flexible.

Are you sure you got all the old gasket out of that flange? If you did, maybe two gaskets would be the go?

mlb

MIG?

Black silicon goes hard or maybe crumbly with exhaust heat, I'm fairly sure... it's gap filling, but not flexible.

Are you sure you got all the old gasket out of that flange? If you did, maybe two gaskets would be the go?
    Both surfaces were scraped clean. The problem is that the faces are not parallel. Two gaskets would be an option but I would be concerned about the other side being too tightly packed and transerring stresses elsewhere - most likely the manifold studs.

I'm looking for a quick fix that won't involve me lying under the car getting all covered in shite, as I've already spent one weekend doing that and would like to avoid it. I'm thinking of maybe a heat resistant wrap I could put around the flange that would stay there and hold the sealant in also. I'm not sure how flexible and adaptable those exhaust bandages are.

Thanks

Matt

where the engine pipe is welded to the plate that bolts to the manifold, they sometimes dont cut enough pipe away (too much pipe sticking through), which means the plate cant be bolted right up to the manifold. I had this problem after i had a new exhaust fitted to a 504 - it kept blowing flange gaskets and after the third time i took it back the the exhaust fitter for new gaskets, they finally twigged as to what was going on.
    This may explain the uneven joint you have. It should pull up flush and even with teh manifold.

involves removing the engine pipe and trimming with a grinder.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    where the engine pipe is welded to the plate that bolts to the manifold, they sometimes dont cut enough pipe away (too much pipe sticking through), which means the plate cant be bolted right up to the manifold. I had this problem after i had a new exhaust fitted to a 504 - it kept blowing flange gaskets and after the third time i took it back the the exhaust fitter for new gaskets, they finally twigged as to what was going on.
    This may explain the uneven joint you have. It should pull up flush and even with teh manifold.

involves removing the engine pipe and trimming with a grinder.
    There is a bit of a protrusion through the flange from the exhaust pipe and one of the protrustions is a bit bent and damaged. I could see on the old gasket where it had been leaking and it was in the area of the damaged pipe. Before refitting though I put the two flanges together to make sure that they would seat together and they did. The parts of the pipe that were sticking out fitted up into the manifold with no problems so by rights it should have sealed. I also figured the pipe running up into the manifold a touch would also assist in the sealing. However, once the manifold was bolted onto the head and became fixed, the angle of the pipe did not allow the two flanges to sit squarely against each other. So short of rebending the pipe or refitting the flange, the best option would be to fill the gap with something I would say.

That is unless someone can suggest something else.

Matt

I'd be ascertaining exactly why it doesn't sit flat...

It's unbolted from the gearbox mount when you do it, isn't it?

mlb

I'd be ascertaining exactly why it doesn't sit flat...

It's unbolted from the gearbox mount when you do it, isn't it?
    There's no gearbox mount at the moment. As for it not sitting flat, it looks like the flange has been removed and refitted in the past. By the look of the weld it was an at home job. So it wouldn't surporise me if it wasn't welded back on properly.

sounds like you may have to get another engine pipe, especially if its been bodged up before... s/h from wreckers would do - engine pipes rarely rust out.

Not forgetting that you could possibly have a big bore pipe on there...

The original pipes are welded underneath, a full fillet, but it's not daggy at all.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    sounds like you may have to get another engine pipe, especially if its been bodged up before... s/h from wreckers would do - engine pipes rarely rust out.
    Noooooooooooooooo, I didn't want to have to go that far

But if that's how it's gotta be. Still

Matt,

Steve Order has a 1980 Carbie 505 in his yard now....

May be of interest!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Deff'nly if that's a wrecking yard... definitely of interest.

Rayza,

Yep steve's is a wrecking yard!

Cheers
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the reason it isn't sitting square is that the engine pipe isn't sitting right

this is a common problem and the only way around it is to loosen the first join in the system and rotate untill the engine pipe is square with the manifold

untill this is done you are only ever going to be blowing out flange gaskets and always having a leak

i have seen this on everything from 203's right through to 505's and even some 604's

it's best to take it apart and set it up starting from the engine pipe and getting right then putting the rest back in place

guaranteed once done and secured it will last years before blowing out another gasket

it has nothing to do with the amount of pipe past the flange it is all to do with the angles
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Matt,

Steve Order has a 1980 Carbie 505 in his yard now....

May be of interest!

Cheers

Ben
    Oh crap! There goes the budget. May be worth a look though.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the reason it isn't sitting square is that the engine pipe isn't sitting right

this is a common problem and the only way around it is to loosen the first join in the system and rotate untill the engine pipe is square with the manifold

untill this is done you are only ever going to be blowing out flange gaskets and always having a leak

i have seen this on everything from 203's right through to 505's and even some 604's

it's best to take it apart and set it up starting from the engine pipe and getting right then putting the rest back in place

guaranteed once done and secured it will last years before blowing out another gasket

it has nothing to do with the amount of pipe past the flange it is all to do with the angles
    That's my theory too. But I just don't want to do it at the moment. Aren't things meant to get easier the more work you do on your car?

Thread Information