balancing wheels
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

balancing wheels

Just wanting to clear something up, if I get new tyres from, say BobJane for my GR with its current 5x14" steelies (has the little square hole in the centre of each wheel), can they balance the wheels or not?

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that it is hard to do, but I can't remember why.

Thanks

Advertisement

Nick
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Gus
    The reason is that those steelies do not have a hole in the centre for the balancing machine to grip them.

For this reason, the tyre place needs an adapter plate to bolt to the mounting holes in the wheel. In Canberra, both Discount Tyre Service and Woden Tyre & Exhaust have such a plate.

On-car balancing is another possibility, but Bob Jane tried my 505 and told me that they couldn't get the balancer far enough under the balljoint.

Be warned: When I first went to get my wheels balanced, I went to Bridgestone. "No worries" they said. An hour and a half later: "Look, sorry mate. We did the front ones and then the machine broke. We won't charge you."

... turned out one of the front wheels was still out of balance by > 100g (those wheels turned out to be buckled and I'm in the process of replacing them.) Bridgestone hadn't balanced anything...

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    bob jane (in Granville, NSW) balanced my 505 wheels perfectly. Prior to that many others had tried and failed.

con....

<small>[ 03 August 2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>

Fellow Frogger!
    Mounting the wheels on the stud pattern rather than the centre hole for balancing is important, particularly for mags. Mags are cast and the stud holes are drilled - 2 different processes which means the centre hole may not be quite centre. Hence the need to mount them on the stud holes using an adapter. I had a devil of a time getting my GTi wheels balanced here in Tamworth until BJ pointed out the problem. Havn't had a problem with balance since. Its always a good idea to watch how the techie does the balance, because quite often he couldn't be bothered looking for the adapter, and will take the easy way out and mount them on the centre.

Cheers
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

nJm
    Is there anywhere in Melbourne recommended for buying Michelin tyres? Somewhere people have experience with (balancing wheels).

I've decided I can't afford wait to get alloys for my pug, I'm going to buy 2 MXTE 185/80 for the rear wheels as the tread really is getting far too low.

Oh yeah, do BobJane or places like that sell Michelins? It might be possible for me to get a discount from there (I really don't want to pay $140 each for my truck tyres )

<small>[ 04 August 2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger!
    Brodie Shields:
    Mounting the wheels on the stud pattern rather than the centre hole for balancing is important, particularly for mags. Mags are cast and the stud holes are drilled - 2 different processes which means the centre hole may not be quite centre. Hence the need to mount them on the stud holes using an adapter. I had a devil of a time getting my GTi wheels balanced here in Tamworth until BJ pointed out the problem. Havn't had a problem with balance since. Its always a good idea to watch how the techie does the balance, because quite often he couldn't be bothered looking for the adapter, and will take the easy way out and mount them on the centre.

Cheers
    I never had a problem with Cheviot mags that are balanced using their centre hole. The hole seems nicely and accurately machined.

Dave

regan motors used to have an on car balancer. Give them a call to see if they can do it
    Peugeot 306 GTi6
    Peugeot 205 GTiS2, you want it? call me 0414 996 499,

Thread Information