ok...the title gives the game away...

I went down to my sisters place to do a brake pad chnage on her car but she had to go to uni and I was left with nothing to do till she came back...so the curiosity got the better of me....I thought I d take the top of the solex for a quick inspection.....

Easy really.....once the filter and hose are of....there are basically five screws to undo.....that done I unclipped the butterfly connection and slowly lifted of the carby top plate with butterflies.......
It revelaed a reasonably clean carby.....I then gently slid out the (?) main pump injector (like a fork but bent to spray fuel into the two barrels)....As I lifted it I straight away noticed a very loose fitting o-ring...it obviously wasn't sealing as I had previously noticed massive leakage (like a waterfall really )....

As I was in Kew and nowhere near my work I though the local mitre ten might have some o-rings for a quick fix (ie they are most likely not fuel safe)....Anyway I walked there, quick stroll, and sure enough they had some that were close enough to the size I needed....To top it off, the guy behind the counter didn t know the part number so he gave it me for free (wow )....
Got back, fitted the o-ring and put it all together.....Started the car.....and Ohhhh...it was so much smoother...
I mean it ran OK before (it did lack power) but now it atleast is respectable....I will need to have the rear mufflers replaced (didn t have time last couple of days) to realise a nicely tuned engine....

Ok.....This o-ring thing is only temporary till monday as I m ordering a carby kit straight away (FUELMISER) but it ceartinly goes to show when it comes to performance and economy how important it is that all components from ignition
to fueling are working CORRECTLY before one starts to think of UPGRADES or other alternatives....ie. if its broken, fix it.

Strange as it may sound, even my wife noticed straight away that the car was running smoother and more quite later in the day......

I m

cheers

dino

Advertisement