504 ignition switch
  • Register
  • Help

504 ignition switch

When i left work this arvo, i went to start the car and i couldn't turn the key. After much cursing, jiggling the key and even more cursing i eventually got the car started. Then i went and picked my hound up the same thing happened.
    I made it home and parked the car on the street & now the key wont turn at all. cry cry
    I tried the spare key just in case it was the key, but it wont turn either.
    Then in the fading daylight I tried to pull the ignition switch out, but no joy with that either. cry
    How do i remove the switch to take it to a locksmith to get it repaired

cheers!
    Andrew

Advertisement
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Fellow Frogger!
    Andrew, you are not the first 504 owner to have this problem. Usually the tumblers are stuck due to a lack of lubrication. Spray in some graphite and work the key in and out, tapping the outside of the barrel. If it still wont turn, to remove the lock you have to depress the hardened pin with the key in a certain position. This is marked on the outside of the lock with a dot between acc. and on. Drilling out the lock is the last resort through the hardened pin.

Just realised that I said allmost the same as Bob D. Well consider it secconded I guess

There is a small bolt/screw, sorry cannot remember which under the switch, its farily small. U have to take that out

The if u can turn the key? Under the chamber there is a little rod that u have to push in. Turn the key to acc then push the rod in then the whole thing should pull out?

This is how I did it

Have u tried graphite, What I am currently using. Don't use too much, that's not fun.

U didn't see one of the little tumblers fall out did u? This happened to me. Spent the next week searching for a ignition switch

<small>[ 29 September 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Shobbz ]</small>
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thanks guy's. I'll grab some graphite powder tomorrow and try it. I would have tried that this arvo except the father in law didnt have any in his shed
    I tried spraying some silicone spray in the switch, but it didn't help. I think the car got jealous with the amount time I've been spending on the 604

cheers!
    Andrew
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    2 pugs:
    Thanks guy's. I'll grab some graphite powder tomorrow and try it. I would have tried that this arvo except the father in law didnt have any in his shed
    I tried spraying some silicone spray in the switch, but it didn't help. I think the car got jealous with the amount time I've been spending on the 604

cheers!
    Andrew
    the 504 might have to get used to that for a little while

give the 504 a wash and polish and all will be forgiven lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

And, unlike most modern vehicles the switch can be FULLY disassembled for a really thorough clean to remove those decades of worn metal filings and lube. (just watch those springs: p-toiingg!!) Did it on my 504 when I first got it, nearly five years ago and no trouble since.

Woo hoo the car works. dance
    I put some graphite powder in the switch and afteer some more cursing, jiggling the key, it turned.
    I did promise to give it a wash on the weekend and also threatened that if it did it again I'll trade it in on an a Hyundie roll_lau

cheers!
    Andrew

So how does this making threats towards car work?

I may have to try it some time

As for pulling the mechanism apart.......... don't have the courage for that one. Wasn't even sure that it could be done

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thread Information