205 - Rough as all guts!!!
  • Register
  • Help

205 - Rough as all guts!!!

Hi All,

Well.. Im slowly getting this 205 into a 'drivable' car. I've now got it going without overheating... Redline Water Wetter, Nulon radiator flush and a new radiator cap did the trick.

So, Last night after a long cruise up to Epping and back, nothing major the car was great. I stopped for a bit at a friends house, and left 30 min later for the final 10 min journey home. Halfway home, my 205 started to run rough, not like it was missing, but just really rought and VERY VERY underpowered.

I've checked all the cables and plugs and they all seem well seated.... so....

I'm thinking that the timing belt might of slipped a few teeth, the question is.. HOW do I tell? I don't want to pull the car 1/2 apart to check.

2ndly, how hard is it to replace the timing belt?

Advertisement

Justin
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

sounds more like a blown head gasket. It's unlikely that the timing belt has slipped. Bring it around and I'll have a look.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Hi Peter,

You should get a letter today... sorry it took a while... flat out w/ work and Pugsley the Peugeot

Head gasket eh??? would there not be oil in the water and water in the oil?

I'd be a bit nervous in driving it if that was the case.... wouldn't want to break down 1/2 out to parramatta. I'd also wouldn't want to destory anything else on it..

Justin

PeterT:
    sounds more like a blown head gasket. It's unlikely that the timing belt has slipped. Bring it around and I'll have a look.

I've got a car trailer specifically designed to tow 205's! If the gasket has blown accross two cylinders there won't be any tell tales, only loss in compression. Did the ditrubutor come loose and turn? A hose off?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter,

I was so depressed last night.. all I checked was the spark plugs were seated, the airflow metre was plugged in and that all the pipes to the airflow metre were connected..

I'll check the dizzy and a more through look over it tonight... Driving to your place is going to be a 50-60 min drive... could I make it any worse? or damage other parts... if not.. I'd love to take you up on your offer... I'm getting at the end of my patience with this thing....

Justin

PeterT:
    I've got a car trailer specifically designed to tow 205's! If the gasket has blown accross two cylinders there won't be any tell tales, only loss in compression. Did the ditrubutor come loose and turn? A hose off?

just had a similar prob

spluttering, no power, couldn't even handle a slight incline! at the time i was trying to 'drive it in' as it hadn't been started in weeks from my needles repairs to it!

did any water get into the engine bay at all?

i spilt some water in mine, a fair bit. thought it went down the stupidly open oil filler spot, turns out no, but sure did **** up the electronics! the distributor leads had heaps of water, and the (dodgy, but convienantly close) mechanic down the road replaced the spark plugs (why? to charge me 2_cents !) and blew compressed air through all those types of bits.

that fixed it. took a while! and some money, but i couldn't get it going

peter's offer sounds great.
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Thread Information