504 dash re-upholstering
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

504 dash re-upholstering

Ok, well I'm trying to find a job, and in the meantime I have spare time to do some projects to my 504 on a shoestring budget.

1. Re-upholstering dash. I tried this before and the hardest bit is trying to mould the material (vinyl or velour etc.) to the curves of the dash. Does anyone know how to mould materials such as these, or know of anyone who makes replacement dash moulded material? Or should I just spend my money on a 2nd hand dash?

Advertisement

Actually that's it for now, thought I had more but I'm sure there will be. Keep you posted if you keep posting.

Cheers,

Chris.

Restore-a-Dash in Marigold St Milperra, Sydney, do good quality remoulded vinyl dahsboards for 504s for about $170 exchange.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Cheers Dave - is there no way to mould it myself?

Chris,

I had McPhersons in Mornington road do 1 for me last year! cant remember how much it was now...

I wasnt $170 though!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Give someone who does the dash mouldings a call see if you can find out what they do. From ones Ive had redone. I thought maybe they shrink the material, once it was stapled to the underside of the dash. They do not seem cut the material to get it to fit the shape. Be interested to find out!

Al

Fellow Frogger!
    Ok, there ya go. Thanks Ben and Al. Rang McPherson's and they quoted $110 for a vinyl recover. Apparently they glue the vinyl on and then heat it where they want it to stretch (around the instrument binnacle and so on). I always thought it would look nice with some stitching around the binnacle with a separate piece (maybe different colour?) around that. Anyway, too much money for me at the moment.

Donations?

Chris,

I got one with the stitching around the instument rise from a TI wreck that Tony Gray has got out at Tony Gray Auto in Glenorchy....but I put it in a '76 GL I sold !

Payed $35 for it !

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!
    Bugger I nearly went out and looked at that one. Anything else good on it? Or in it?

Thanks Ben,

Chris.

P.S. When's the next club meeting? And heard you had a graphic design guy doing the mag? Who might that be - do they need help at all?

<small>[ 02 July 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Bagel ]</small>

Chris,

Give me a call some time RE: Club stuff....

Ummm it's got a complete motor in it still...basicly a complete car...got electric windows in the front

Used to belong to Gerry Mullock many moons ago

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I'm with Dave on this one re the mob in Marigold St. They did a pretty complicated Lancia dash for me a few years ago but it was pricy.

I got a reco'd one from a shop on the Princes Hwy down near Sutherland called "Department of the car interior" It had actually been in the shop on display for years and I got it about 18 months ago for around $140 exchange.
    Remember if you buy old/original it will crack sooner than a recovered one.

ipb

A friend of mine has recovered a few Jaguar dashboards with the stretch vinyl. If the dash has any bits of foam missing, you get some expanding foam in an aerosol and fill the holes. When it dries you cut it down to the right shape. You apply a heat softening contact adhelive to the vinyl and dash, and stick it on. Using a heat gun, you soften the adhesive and vinyl, pulling it around the shape . When the vinyl cools it will harden and stay like that.
    I haven't tried this method yet, but I will be soon. My friend who told me about it has done a few dashes with it, and says it works well.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information