505 STI tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 STI tyres

505 STI tyres

The hunt goes on, but good news. 505 STI owner Ted of Melbourne says North
    West Tyres of Reservoir (03 94622692, ask for Muhammed) has four
    390mmX65X190 Michelin TRX probably about a third worn, asking $100 each.
    Tread pattern is two-channel not the more common three-channel. Apparently
    he can get more s/h metric TRX if requested, and also has Canbera outlet.
    Ted (03 96033836) has switched to 14-inch alloys, so is offering five or six
    s/h TRX complete with four or five rims (he has yet to find another 14-inch
    for spare). Two tyres are almost new and heís asking $150 each, and the
    others still have plenty of tread for safe use but two have uneven wear on
    edge. Say $50 each. Or $450 the lot, inclusive the fancy original Peugeot
    alloy rims and the sixth tyre/fifth rim when itís available.

Advertisement

nJm
    What's handling like on those tyres?

For only $100 each its enough to tempt me to put TRX wheels on my pug. Someone please tell me I'm being silly blush
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger!
    ok your silly,you asked.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    with a standard 604 auto shod with TRX tyres i could step the rear end out just about any where
    sorry but i don't have a lot of faith in the TRX tyre
    no matter what i did with pressures i always got understeer from them through round abouts
    disasters in the wet or damp conditions
    very noisey when pushed beyond anything than a straight line
    maybe i had a bad batch 3 times
    i'm still after wheel dimensions so i can work out what and how much to get machined to fit real tyres to these wheels
    either that or i am going to go ahead and adapt other wheels to the car
    the avons in the same metric style weren't as bad from what i have heard but they are also expensive to get
    i had a set of NCT's on a car that i nicked named "no contact tyres" and they as bad as they were were better than TRX tyres
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

VIP Sponsor
    I have found the TRXs to grip well, particularly on Dirt and Mud were they are superb.
    However, when I bought my STI recently (fitted with 200/60 admittedly) I found the ride to be so rough that I thought the suspension needed major work. Then I remembered various 505s that I drove in the early 80s with these tyres fitted, continual jittering on each and every ripple on the road and just plain rough on corrugated or rocky surfaces.
    My car now has 14 inch tyres and the ride is transformed, feels like a Peugeot again!

Graham Wallis

nJm
    Cool, I'm now totally put off

All I really want is the 15" wheels. LOL. Well, I look forward to a set of 14" Cheviots appearing somewhere. I've decided not to be fussy at all and take whatever comes, the only wheels I don't like is the dunlop one on some of the 604s. shy
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    Sean,

Out of curiuosity, I have measured the Peugeot TRX (390) and the 15" alloy rims and the difference in diameter where the tyre sits, is 9.5mm. (The TRX rim being the bigger of the two).
    Hence you would need to machine about 4.7mm (ie. reduce the thickness by 4.7mm). I do not believe that one can safely do this as there just isn't enough meat on the metric rim.

Sadly, it's back to the drawing board!

(Incidently, I have measured two specimens of each type of rim just to be sure).

And like Graham I have been very happy with performance of the TRX tyres, at least with the ones I bought new. Sadly, the same cannot be said of the tyres that came with the car: they leaked air, admittedly it was a slow leak. When I refered the problem to the Michelin company rep. their first demand was to insist that I replace all the rubber valves with steel ones: this didn't help. A number of times the tyres were removed and the rims scrubbed to clean them; again this didn't stop the slow leaks. When it became obvious to all that carcasses were the culprits, Michelin refused to accept responsibility, claiming that the tyres were too old: And in any case, as I didn't have the original purchase receipts they were not obliged to assist me. But they were sympathetic about it!!!
    Since that time I have stopped buying Michelin tyres (after 35 years). I am about to buy some Yokohama A539.

con....

<small>[ 03 August 2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>

njm,

TRXs may have been a semi-decent tyre 15yrs ago, tyre technology (compounds, sidewall construction etc) has progressed a great deal since then.

I would argue many modern, decent performance oriented 14" tyres would comfortably outperform "new" TRXs (15" easily).

Secondhand TRX's could easily date back to the 80s and would be hard, brittle and basically crap
    ________
    California dispensary
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:14 AM.

nJm
    I do need to get new rear tyres pretty quickly. The previous owners of my car put new front tyres on it about 5 months ago, but the rears desperately need replacing. Its scary (on dry roads) how easy it is to get wheelspin with 71kw...

If only some more wheels would appear I think I'm at the bottom of the waiting list at PugWreck

<small>[ 04 August 2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!
    nJm:
    I do need to get new rear tyres pretty quickly. The previous owners of my car put new front tyres on it about 5 months ago, but the rears desperately need replacing. Its scary (on dry roads) how easy it is to get wheelspin with 71kw...

If only some more wheels would appear I think I'm at the bottom of the waiting list at PugWreck
    Nick,

Your tyres must be really old and hard, since the IRS on 504s/505s usually means it's difficult to spin the wheels even with a modified engine.

Dave

nJm
    Is it illegal to mix profiles?

I was wondering how it would effect my car if I had 185/75's on the front wheels and 185/80's on the rear?

That would be the cheapest way to get tyres at the moment (BobJane have Michie Certis for $100 each)

cheers
    Nick
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

nJm

<small>[ 07 August 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!
    Peugeot spend a great deal of money in designing and building some of the worlds best suspension systems. They are all connected to the road by four rubber patches if you are trying to skimp on tyres by putting on second hand items or mixing profiles and patterns you are really losing the point of driving a Pug. If you are after good performing, long wearing, quiet riding, H rated tyres at a reasonable price check out Simex SM800's. They would suit the 505 very well. mallet

<small>[ 07 August 2002, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Fellow Frogger!
    TRX's advantage was the way the bead attached to the rim this technology has been far surpassed in the last ten years. :p

beware certis..on my 405 they are so noisy....and don't Subaru wheels fit 504's and 505's?

stuartb:
    beware certis..on my 405 they are so noisy....and don't Subaru wheels fit 504's and 505's?
    The Certis' on my 505 are excellent, but they are now a bit too expensive compared to the equivalent Toyos, Bridgestones or Pirellis (about $30 more per tyre), so I won't be buying them again.

Most Subaru wheels won't fit Pugs, because being only 13" in diameter, they hit the brake calipers.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I am getting a set of Certis on our GTI early next week...it's got Silverstone now...they SUCK
    !

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

nJm
    rick_b:
    if you are trying to skimp on tyres by putting on second hand items or mixing profiles and patterns you are really losing the point of driving a Pug.
    Unfortunately I am a poverish student who can not afford to spend over $400 on tyres dead . Believe me, if money was no object I would buy the best tyres in the world for my Pug. I do however find it a bit insulting that you think I do not appreciate my car.

Rick, I do agree completely that tyres can change a car dramatically, and that I should get the best I can, however all I am after are 2 tyres that won't cost the earth to hold me through until some alloy wheels are available for my car.

The final combination I want are a set of Cheviot 14" alloys fitted with decent quality 195/70 tyres. But until some Cheviots are up for sale, I do not want to drive around with worn, old and dangerous rear tyres.

Regards,
    Nick

(please don't take this personally, I've had a long day, am tired and dreading all the other costs I shall have to put into my beloved Pug within the next 6 months)
    blush

<edits to fix spelling stuff>

<small>[ 08 August 2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!
    Recently put 4 x 195/70 14" Simex SM800's on a Rover P6 3500 cost $340 I have driven on tyres that cost twice this price that are not as good. If finances are limited 2 of these would be a good start. wink cheers!

nJm
    So that comes out to each tyre costing $85?

thats very good, if they are as good as you say.

thanks for the recomendation
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Thread Information