modifications
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: modifications

modifications

Hey there, I have a '96 306 1.8. I am currently in the step by step process of modifying my car. I am just starting now and am in the process of having a stereo installed. After this I would like to look forward to something else to do either in the form of wheels/lowering, bodykit, engine mods. I would really appreciate all and any suggestions as I am really not in the know about pug mods. So yeh, what do you think i should do, and what sort of costs am i looking at. With regards to the wheels, i would like to put on some 17s, or if possible 18s, but how should i go about lowering it? What drop in height? Spring and shocks or just shocks?

Anyway, I will leave this in your hands now, please, anyone, feel free to give me your suggestions.

Adam

Advertisement
    "Computer games dont affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Christian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Welcome to the forum Adam.

There is not shortage of experience in here on 306 modding. As a start, brouse the Performance Upgrades threads to see what hings have been discussed.

Generally....
    Wheels, 17's look good but are not as practical or ride aswell with the way Pugs are setup as the 16's. 18's are pretty much a no-go. This has alot to do with the restricted width you can use of tyres, especially on the rear. I had 205's on my S16 and they scrubbed the inside of the wheel arch (closer to the centre of car). The stud pattern and the offset are not common, therefore the are very few wheels which will fit. You can get them custom drilled but expect to pay big $$$.

Bodykit, you will most likly have to import these parts as again, the market for Pug kits is quite thin.

Lowering, there are many options to choose from. I have heard great thibngs about the Koni yellow/Eibach setups. Be careful though because lowering does not necessarily mean better handleing. Less body roll sure, but you will also noose the compliant ride. My S16 is lowered on Apex springs with OEM struts. Very little body roll, but is quite stiff on B grade roads, though not juttery like other lowered cars I have been in.

Performance, The 8v is hard hard mill to work with. Pod filters, extractors, high flow exhuast etc are the basic mods which will only provide marginal increase in performance, but will free the engine up at higher revs. You could turbo it but there are serious $ involved. Alternatively, find a wrecked 16v (S16, XSi, GTI6 etc) and drop that in. Port mods could also be a mod you could look into. Expect to pay $1200 for about 10-15%.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Hi mate welcome to the forum.I to have the same car as you and HAD the same intentions as you do. As for as modding the 306 8V well you may not like to hear it, but i don't think it's worth it. The handling on the 306 is superb, the engine in regards to power is very much it's weak point & not worth the time of day.

All i have done with the engine has been a K&N panel filter, don't expect this to do too much, but you won't need to the replace the filter again. Any other engine mods will cost you too much for too little and quite frankly not worth it. Im glad that i asked this question before on the forum because i saved $$$$$ in the process.

As far as bodykits are concerned they look great (not everyones cup of tea though ehehe) but cost heaps.

Rims wise 18" won't fit unless you modify the exsisting wheelspace for it. I've just purchased a set of 16" rims which look great, however my steering is a bit lighter and not as tight as it use to be with the steal wheels. Handling wise it is still great, check out my car at <a href="http://www.cardomain.com/id/tooqik" target="_blank">www.cardomain.com/id/tooqik</a> .

At the end of the day i would say do what i am doing and save up for a gti-6 and in the mean time enjoy the ride in the 8v .If you are stuck with the 8V then i'd say you best mods would be suspension or ther handling related mods.

This is just an opinion, a opinion which was given to me, which i learnt from, which i'll pass on to you.

Keep us posted on your further intentions and im sure we will give you a honest opinion.

Regards
    Asanka

Fellow Frogger!
    Welcome, like that has been told to you for the wheels you could possibly go to a max of a 17inch rim but i run 16's and am very happy with the setup, as for engine mods it all depends on how much $$$$ you have to spend. I'd prob look at a simple exhaust system and cold air induction, after that jus depends how hard you want to go.

Hi Bris Pug,

You have one of the best handling and riding small cars in the world, from a maker with an almost unrivalled reputation in this regard. So I would just like to say, why mess with perfection? With fancy wheels/tires/lowering etc you will almost certainly make the car look cool, but I would say that it will also almost certainly result in inferior road holding and ride on all but the smoothest of roads.

Please don't be frightenned of some body roll. This is a natural characteristic of most French cars due to their deliberately soft, but extemely well damped spings, with unusually long suspension travel. The benefit of this setup is that it allows the wheels to better follow pits, dips, undulations and lumps in the road surface so that all four tires stay firmly planted to the road with a minimum of body movement occuring in these conditions. It also reduces rolling resistance and tire wear.

Try punting any good, base model, factory standard, French passenger car like a 306, 504, 505, Renault 20, Renault 16, Renault Clio, any classic Citroen, hard along a windy, undulating, B-grade country road for an hour or two. After a while, what you will find is that there is a fair bit of body roll in corners, but notice how well controlled and secure the car feels. Notice how large mid-cormer lumps and bumps are taken with nonchalant ease without throwing the car or the passengers off line, how the stable the car feels at high speed in a straight line on B-grade roads that would send many lesser cars skipping off into the boon docks. And notice how relaxed and unstressed you feel at the end of the journey.

These characteristics are the very essence of French cars and that is why they are so enjoyable to ride in and easy to drive quickly over very long distances. If you want a car that more closely resembles a go kart, consider a sports model Honda and then don't stray from billard-table smooth hotmix.

Just my opinion, but which ever way you go, enjoy!

cheers!
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

My S16 is lowered on Apex springs with OEM struts. Very little body roll, but is quite stiff on B grade roads, though not juttery like other lowered cars I have been in.
    Brad ive got the samesetup in mine...35m APEX springs

Bris Pug- I was in your position once and i had some ideas and plans for my car. You learn alot over the years of modifiying and i learnt well that the 8V 1.8 is a POS and will always be a POS. Its not a performance engine so i wouldn't bother spending money on it.

As for handling Koni Shocks are great and 17" will fit easily but finding the right offset is a challenge. 18"s are a bit overkill they will look good but slow you down.

If you want a good compromise get some lightweight 16" rims. BuddyClub P1 Racing rims are realy light and look crazy

Bodykits...i dunno the car was deigned by Pinnafanrin aso its near perfect. I think the factory kits look the best. Subtle body mods are always godd maybe get a front lip for the front bar if anything.

Anyways gotta run...ill post more detailed info and pics for you when i get home.
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

WRCPUG:

Bodykits...i dunno the car was deigned by Pinnafanrin aso its near perfect. I think the factory kits look the best.
    Was the 306 designed by pinafarina? If so where can i get a PF badge from ahahahah?

Other than the turbo306 guy has anyone ever got any decent gains(engine wise) out of the 306 8V?

Personally I think a 15" rim is optimum for roadgoing 306's.

195/55 15's are plentiful in all shapes and sizes and should be a lot cheaper than 16" equivalents.

hi all

well i have 15inch wheels on my 306 style and i`m very happy with them,aslo i have done the exehurst for the cat back, and the air filter, those mods have help me alot,but the next thing to do is the breaks,
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

jfn306:
    hi all

well i have 15inch wheels on my 306 style and i`m very happy with them,aslo i have done the exehurst for the cat back, and the air filter, those mods have help me alot,but the next thing to do is the breaks,
    Is yours the 16V jfn306?

Bris Pug, what do you want from the car,..?? looks? perfromance? drive-ability??
    Persoanly i used to try and cover all the above, but there is very few places to help here in oz, and like brad said cost $$$$!!!....
    despite what others have listed 18"'s fit, no probs, you just have to find the right wheel-people to help you out, and in return be prepared to spend $$$!!.. i know of 3 306's in sydney riding on 18's and lots on 17's. with big wheels expect ride loss, funy handling and overall less feel.. but look stove hot.
    Leave the 8v engine alone, perhaps a nice quiet!!! exhaust to just only enhance the sound, performance gains are aquired after big $$$$ and lots of custom work...
    Id concentrate on getting the car looking very neat. Perhaps a nice set of 15" or 16" wheels. nothing flashy. just neat smooth silver wheels with the best rubber you can afford.
    Colour code the black bits to body colour, this will give it years, and respray the car if you can afford it, id do this instead of a body kit, perhaps meshing the front damm for a bit of extra look.
    Perhaps try and for a neat stereo package and some PUG99x or some PUG*** plates will always appeal to the frenc car crowd. id keep it subtle and smooth.... if you are prepered to loose some ride and handling even go as big as 17"'s, just make em nice and neat, no chrome, nice deep dish or multi spoke desing.. n his site Omak was selling his 16's which are actual ug rims with rubber, and Andreas had nice 17's for sale too.
    Tint the windows, in a nice smoky shade and add 1 and only 1 AussieFogs sticker. Spend some money on having it detailed to show finish, including steam clean of the engine bay etc.. try to keeop it that way.
    Get new Peugeot floor mats, these always help the look of your carpets, and the pug ones look quite good and fit a1... Peraps if money stretches Sparco/Recaro recliner seat always look good, get them in a nice colour which matches the interior of the car, that dosn;t mean they have to be grey, if yor car is blue or red then consider these options... i like a nice seat, it helps in from both driving and comfort side of things.
    what ever you do, do it because YOU WANT TO!!... but think about what you want to achive.--- cheers chris
    ... ptui!

purrr-geot:
    jfn306:
    hi all
    Is yours the 16V jfn306?
    yes,1.8lt,16v,twin cam
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

purrr-geot:
    Was the 306 designed by pinafarina? If so where can i get a PF badge from ahahahah?
    Yeah. You can get Peugeot ones but they were $120ea from the dealer. I'd look at second hand Alfa ones or something. They look great just in front of the rear wheel.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

1000+ Posts
    frogs4ever:
    Try punting any good, base model, factory standard, French passenger car like a 306, 504, 505, Renault 20, Renault 16, Renault Clio, any classic Citroen, hard along a windy, undulating, B-grade country road for an hour or two. After a while, what you will find is that there is a fair bit of body roll in corners, but notice how well controlled and secure the car feels. Notice how large mid-cormer lumps and bumps are taken with nonchalant ease without throwing the car or the passengers off line, how the stable the car feels at high speed in a straight line on B-grade roads that would send many lesser cars skipping off into the boon docks. And notice how relaxed and unstressed you feel at the end of the journey.

These characteristics are the very essence of French cars and that is why they are so enjoyable to ride in and easy to drive quickly over very long distances.
    Exactly what my friends said to me last night after nearly 1000km and 9 hours in my 306. Absolutely brilliant on the open road, and feels so secure at speed on corners.

Bris Pug,
    I'd be going to 15" wheels and no bigger. It's just not necessary. I had a Pug exactly the same as yours until recently (March this year) and it constantly stunned everyone... "how can a BASE model car perform so well on windy roads" I didn't even have good tyres on it. Put 15" wheels and good tyres and you're onto a winner with your car. Sure, you won't win any traffic light grand prix's but neither will my XSi.

The 1.8 8v engine is great on the open road and tight windy roads as it has heaps of torque (peak at ~3000rpm) meaning it doesn't need heaps of revs to keep the car moving and providing plenty of acceleration from 2500rpm and up.

On the topic of Pininfarina - as far as I'm aware, no, they did not design the 306. They designed and built (the body only) of the 306 Cabrio. The painted body was then shipped to France where it was fitted with all other components.

Derek

1000+ Posts
    WRCPUG:
    Bodykits...i dunno the car was deigned by Pinnafanrin aso its near perfect. I think the factory kits look the best. Subtle body mods are always godd maybe get a front lip for the front bar if anything.
    Yup WRCPUG, you're incorrect there I'm sorry...
    from <a href="http://www.pininfarina.it/eng/history/history/86_00.html" target="_blank">http://www.pininfarina.it/eng/history/history/86_00.html</a>
    <strong>Between 1992 and 1994 the range manufactured by Pininfarina was completely renewed with four new models: the Ferrari 456 GT, the Coupé Fiat, the Peugeot 306 Cabriolet and the Bentley Azure. Production of the Lancia k Station Wagon was added in 1996.
    On that website there is no mention of the 306, other than the Cabrio.

Another site explains it better:
    <a href="http://home.wanadoo.nl/casy/piningb.htm" target="_blank">http://home.wanadoo.nl/casy/piningb.htm</a>
    <strong>The 306 Cabriolet
    Presented at ‘the Frankfurt Motor Show that year, it has been manufactured by Pininfarina since 1994. Like
    all the previous cabriolet and coupé models,Peugeot entrusted Pininfarina with the styling, research, engineering and production of the bodywork.</strong>
    So, Pininfarina badges are only appropriate on the Cabrio not the standard models.
    Derek.

Really?? but i read it in the History of Pug book thing and several other websites....oh wells ill have a look.

The 306 is a damn sexy car whatever way u look at it
    PEUGEOT 306 GTi6 (1997-1999 HYBRID)
    105.4kw (141HP) ATW
    2:09 Phillip Island (Toyo Street Tyres)

2001 YAMAHA YZF-R6
    119HP

1993 MITSUBISHI 3000GT Twin Turbo
    300BHP
    STOCK-14.006 @97.4mph HEATHCOTE
    STOCK-1:15 CALDER Long Circuit (Stock Street Tyres + Stock Pads :banghead )
    (For Sale)

Fellow Frogger!
    ok, i can help you out a bit if u want some engine power.
    i have a chip and extractors for your car, cheap too.
    they really free up the higher revs, as they are pretty dead in stock trim.
    bodykits, well im looking for them and all i have found is some damn ugly carzone one and some1 in melbourne who wants 15k painted and fitted for a widebody
    does any1 know where to get the widebody kit here cheaper?
    as for rims, go 17" as any bigger also throws the car's whole handling geometry out of whack...
    go to a bridgestone dealership, they are about the only people who will show you decent wheels that fit your car.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Hey again everyone, i would just like to thanks everyone that has replied to this thread as it has been very helpful to me. Ummm, i was thinking, as you guys have all said, the 8v 1.8 is not the greatest engine every built, however, what are the possibilities (or gains) of putting on a 16V head from like a xsi etc?? Thanks again guys, look forward to more responses.

Adam
    "Computer games dont affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Christian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Fellow Frogger!
    has any1 done the xsi head on the 1.8 8v? what is required and can it be done?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

A couple of quick tips;

If it's performance your after, don't mod a single thing and start saving your bickies towards a GTi6. It'll save you stress and cash in the long run.

If you wanna make it look good, simply clean it up without going over the top (see advice given earlier).

If you wanna make it handle - don't touch a thing in the suspension department (just my view). Peugeot are the only manufacturer left in the world to make their own dampers, and for good reason - they're the best. The balance the 306 struck between ride and handling is legendary. As mentioned earlier, there's a bit of body roll but don't let this fool you, the levels of grip this stock setup can achieve is pretty damn good! Lower profile tyres on larger rims (I reckon only go as far as 16") will sharpen up turn-in without buggerising the ride too much.

Anyway, half the fun is in experimenting, all the best!

Thread Information