Mi16 miss on idle and engine managment light!!
  • Register
  • Help

Mi16 miss on idle and engine managment light!!

All,

I need some help ! my Series 1 Mi16 is driving me mad...

I've got the car going pretty well....got most things on it replaced like engine mounts, gear linkages, front and rear struts, front swaybar bushes, plus many many other things!

I have also replaced the airflow meter on the Air box.

I noticed that the pipes coming off the Idle Stepper were very loose so I put clamps on them, cleaning up the motor while I had it out....

Still the damn thing has a really terrible miss on idle !! it sits on around 850rpm which is fine, but its alway miss miss miss miss......

I tried a new Idle motor it made NO differance, I have taken the ECU out and cleaned it all up....I have NO idea what to do next?

Also after it's been idling for around 1min the K engine light comes on, a little rev turns it back off....

Sorry for the long post...i'd just love to sort it out !

Cheers

Ben

Advertisement

PS All is fine once underway....NO miss at all under load...just bags of that Mi16 power
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

you may need a new ECU i reckon. Mine used to miss a little in the beginning and the K light would come off and on all the time. A few weeks after that it would start, run for about 3 minutes them conk out. It kept getting worse and worse and in the ends needed to replace the ECU. Since then it has run like a dream. peugeot_

Ben,

You might be freaking yourself out for a very monor problem.
    I have struck this on a couple of BX 16Vs (same mechanicals as an Mi16) as well as an 8 valve BX. I've also suggested it to several overseas with good results.
    The LT plug into you coil has LT leads in a plug that goes into it. You'll find that these LT leads in that plug are both + as well as - so if there is any shorting between them or between the HT & the - terminals, the spark will short out.
    Take it off the car, spray the plug & the socket of the LT plug in WD40 and when finished, wash it out with petrol & blow dry with compressed air. Sometimes it needs two or three of these applications before it successfully gets rid of the conductive grime causing teh problem.
    If this doesn't seem to cure it, take the three flat headed screws off the cover over the plugs & remove the cover. Start the car at night & out of any external lights & look down where the spark plugs fit. Often, it can be found that a plug lead has broken down & is earthing onto the actual head.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

You're describing the exact problem I has with my S1 Mi16. Eventually the car wouldn't turn on, so I had it sent to a mechanic.

My crank sensor was destroyed and my ECU had serious water damage. Had both replaced/reconditioned and the engine light problem went away, although it's still a very rough idle. It idles way too high though. Like, 1000 - 1200rpms.

See <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001172" target="_blank">this thread</a>

Keep us posted on how things are working out.

Tadpole
    Hi Ben,

I agree with Alan S that your problem could well be very minor. When I first got my series one Mi16 it suffered from an irregular miss at idle, and in my case, it was as simple as a wire that was shorting on the side of the engine!

Mind you, it took quite some time to find. I had purchased my car from a Subaru dealer second hand, and I suspect the previous owner had traded it in rather than deal with this problem. Suffice to say, as the car was under warranty, the dealer had to fix it. They replaced - at considerable expense to themselves, everything from the ECU to the air flow meter, but the problem stubbornly persisted.

In the end, they sent it to the local Peugeot dealer. The problem went away for a while (for long enough for the car to be out of warranty) but returned a short while later. I came across a new mechanic who found the problem in the first ten minutes of working on the car for the first time! After that, it never missed a beat!

The other factor with my Mi16 though that I will mention is that it seems to be smoothest running on Shell Optimax. If I try other premium unleaded, such as Mobil's Synergy 8000, it becomes rough again and the K light comes on and off!

To conclude, look for simple things before assuming that it is something major such as the ECU. After all, you say that power and performance is terrific - just your idle that is rough. That suggests something more basic. I would try Alan S's suggestions while also looking to a general wiring check.

John.

I might get a set of ignition leads for it anyhow...

The car is 170,000kms old now and they are the leads that came from the factory...

Would it be a good idea to change them ?

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Sorry to drag this one up again

Just if anyone is interested I have fixed the problem!

Turns out I was wrong *I know what a shock* it wasnt missing....it was cross firing....due to a shagged dissy cap ! we pulled it off and it's STUFFED ! cracked and horrible !

Time for a new cap I think! Mechanic seems to think it should help!

Also have swapped ECU over....for a UK spec one...wow makes the car like a new one

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Ben,
    there's really no such thing as a UK spec. one. In the UK they had both the XU9J4 and the XU9J4Z Mi16 derivities. In Australia, we only had the XU9J4Z which has an ECU with a 55 pin connector. The XU9J4 has an ECU with a 35 pin connector. So it's phycically impossible to swap the two, unless you swapped the entire harness.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Well,

Looks like i've been told a pile of crap by someone

Oh well....it's got a new ECU now...it seems to go a heap better with it ? does not have that pre-3000 lag now....maybe it's chipped ?

I spoke to the last owner of the crashed car...he said the ecu had come from the UK...maybe he meant the chip ?

Oh well who knows!

All I know is it's better

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Thread Information