405 MI16 Coughing / Puffs of Smoke / Bad Idle
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

405 MI16 Coughing / Puffs of Smoke / Bad Idle

Hello all....

I've got a 1992 MI16x4, and it's a great car, except for a couple of problems, most annoying of which is a problem that occurs at idle... When it's idling, if you tap the throttle, it sort of coughs, and spits out a puff of black smoke, and then off it goes. It think it's also why when shifting up a gear it bucks a little when you open the throttle.. Also when idling it seems to be surging or hunting a bit.. The revs go up and down instead of staying put.

Based on similar problems I have had with other cars, I'm imagining it's either a air leak in the intake, or stuffed injectors. Are there any other MI16 problems that I should be aware of? Do the airflow meters or oxygen sensors cause problems like this when they go tits up???

Advertisement

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Chris Nielsen

Fellow Frogger!
    Could be a number of different issues, check your spark plugs my s16 had simmilar problem found out that one spark plug was stuffed. or could be that the engine is buliding up resistence some where.

The O2 sensor is a common problem on the xu10jv wouldnt hurt getting it tested out

Mi16x4 's don't have an O2 sensor so it can't be that. Sounds more like the AFM is playing up. Try swapping it with another one from any 405 or 205. If from a 205 or 405 8V, you'll have to swap the plastic bits, but essentially they'll all the same. If that fixes your off idle problem, and you do get one from anything other than an Mi16, you might need to get the car dynoed in order to get the mixtures spot on.

Other possibilites:
    - blocked fuel return causing excessive fuel pressure
    - throttle position switch isn't adjusted properly. Listen for a small click just as you crack the throttle. There's only two positions. It should be set up as idle, or everthing else.

Let me know if you ever get sick of the car. I'd love to buy one.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole
    I certainly suspect the AFM, but I'm used to poxy Jap cars where you can't swap things that readily...
    If I'd known that I'd have checked it weeks ago!!!

I might have to get Peugeot to check it out for me if it's not the AFM...

Thanks

Chris

Thread Information