404 ball joints
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 ball joints

Fellow Frogger!

404 ball joints

Has anyone replaced the ball joints on a 404 front end? I have been practising on an old front end thats been laying around and have found it difficult to get the ball out of the socket We have replaced some of the bushes on the front of the blue car and it has made a big difference I imagine with new ball joints on the struts and tie rod ends it would be even tighter. regards, cane toad.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor
    Can you elaborate on your difficulty?
    Foe example is it the ball joint on the bottom of the strut or the tie rod end you are talking about.
    I would not advise replacement of the strut ball joint without suitable tools and experience. I have seen a few come apart after being played around with - dangerous!
    The tie rod ends are fiddly to reassemble but at least if done incorrectly (often the case) they won't come apart.
    Graham Wallis

I am going to take the front end out of my wreck and rebuild it before fitting it to my 404, and I amgoing todo the same for my 403.
    Is it hard to get the bits to rebuild a 403 or a 404 front end? Can you get poly bushes for a 403/404 front end? I would like to get some fairly soft poly bushes, not tofirm up the ride much, but to last longer than rubber. (and I realise that 404 and 403 have different front end layouts)
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!
    Ther are a couple of reasons why I started to fiddle around with the old front end before getting serious. First and foremost is my mechanical ineptitude and secondly it looks to me like the sought of job you would want to be 100% sure off. I would like to redo the whole front end, I bought all the bits from Bazel on the Mornington Peninsula, no problem with availability all standard bits, rubber, if they last half as long as the originals I'll be well pleased. The ball joint on the bottom of the strut is the one I've been fiddling with,can't get it to come apart I don't want to get to physical with it, without really understanding the procedure. We have had the car for about 14 years, common sense tells me to get rid of it but it is such a nice car to drive, no rust, a few minor mechanical problems, and the front end a bit loose, wich is a shame, because it's the precise light steering that makes them such a pleasant car to drive, the offset steering and seat as well. gota go I'm in demand regards cane toad

VIP Sponsor
    Don't know about poly bushes but I doubt that they would last longer.
    404 bushes are normally available from European Auto Imports.
    For the 403 you need to buy front spring bushes (from Eai) and cut them down to fit the shocker.
    The spring bushes last for ever whilst the shocker bushes chop out in a few years (because of the larger angles involved) maybe thats why only the spring bushes are available! The rack end bushes are the same for 504 (early) and 604.
    If you can't get tie rod end kits you can fit Camry Tie Rods and MR2 tie rod ends, this also gets rid of the bushes (with very large angle) and improves the steering precision.
    Give me a call on 0429 939619 for information on rebuilding ball joints.

Graham Wallis

Between looking over what you have there and also the bits in a kit, you can work out the tools you have to make to replace the ball joint.

I did it using bits and pieces of tube I sourced from a scrap bin, with a bit of help from my trusty welder. But you can do it with a file, hacksaw and drill if you get the right size bits of tubing.

Taking the old stuff off is much harder than the reassembly because of the way they are dimpled when done up to ensure they don't come loose. I'm tempted to suggest that I would drill and split pin the outer case when it's screwed in... especially seeing as I had to destroy a lower arm last week dismantle one.

Thread Information