505 side mirror (again)
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

505 side mirror (again)

Today i pulled off the plastic cover on the side of 505GR where a side mirror would be fitted to an STi or Estate etc. I remember asking before I got the car, and I think Dave told me I'd have to drill through metal? Well, this has the hole cut out, filled with some foam/sponge stuff and coverd in sticky tape...

So, I take it to install a mirror on the passenger side on my GR I just have to pull off the plastic covers on the inside and outside of the door, and just put the mirror on?

has anyone else done this?

ta

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

There should be a large hole in the centre where the controls for the mirror go through from the outside, and two or three smaller holes where the unit screws into place (at least that's how I remember it). Before tightening it all up, just have a bit of a fiddle around with it and make sure you can actually see what you want to see with it. These cars weren't built for people around 6ft, because all I can see with the mirrors on mine is the road (yes, and that's with the mirror turned all the way up. I found drilling out the screw holes a little larger made a bit of a difference.

Nick,

Sounds like the miror might fit straight in your door. It was a 1980 model that a friend had which didn't have the hole.

Liam,

Have you tried taking out the plastic spacers under the seat? The seats seem to be set very high in relation to the windows on 505s. I plan to take the spacers in mine out, even though I'm only 5'7".

I've found the opposite problem in 79-onwards 504s, where the seat is too low for me. Personally I find the 68-78 504 seating height perfect fo me.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information