econoscope
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: econoscope

nJm

econoscope

Hi everyone,
    After searching around under the bonnet with Jason, we found the vacuum hose for the econoscope, but it isn't hooked up to the engine or other vaccum pipes, etc.

Advertisement

The Haynes manual doesn't have diagrams for the vacuum lines etc, and I really am not sure where I should be looking for it to go

so, I was wondering if someone could point me in the general direction of where it should connect

thanks

<small>[ 10 May 2002, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I realize that Australian market cars are a little different from US market cars, but see if this helps anyway:

The Econoscope sensor for my US spec '84 STI (XN6 engine) is located near the LH strut tower, just below the brake master cylinder. It is a square shaped device with a vacuum port on the side and an electrical connector on the bottom. In the middle of the top there appears to be an adjustment screw of some sort.

-Joe

Nick,

Try fitting a T-piece in the hose that leads from the distributor to the inlet manifold. If you connect your econometer here, it should work.

When I fit my XN1 in place of my ZDJ, I think I'm going to disconnect the econometer. It doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know (i.e. I know when I'm opening the throttle). Econometers were just one of those funny 80's fads (like big words on the side of a car saying "TURBO").

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Oops, I misread your post and thought you were looking for the *other end* of the vacuum hose (i.e., the econoscope sender).

I think it's funny how the light bulb for the red indicator burns out more frequently on my car than the other two.

I don't think the yellow has ever burned out, simply because it never gets used. It's either green from idling or cruising, or it's red from accelerating or "extreme cruising".

-Joe

XN6guy:

I don't think the yellow has ever burned out, simply because it never gets used. It's either green from idling or cruising, or it's red from accelerating or "extreme cruising".
    The red seems to be burnt out on mine too, but the yellow/orange is OK.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Dave's right; it works off the manifold. I'd say the lights on the econoscope itself are fine - it's more likely to be the diaphram inside the sender unit has a hole in it, which is causing a bad reading. I'm guessing that's the reason why yours was disconnected in the first place. You can get a touch creative and make yourself a diaphram the fit the sender unit, or be slack like me and buy another unit for about $20 preloved. The don't actually do anything that is essential to the running of the car, but they do dazzle the odd person watching the discotheque happening under the tacho.

jeez those things were a stupid invention....but it does give you a spot in the dash to put a boost gauge for the turbo conversion
    Peugeot...
    ...The True Lion

Thread Information