Oil Bath Filters
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Oil Bath Filters

Howdy Oldpugowners,

Advertisement

Can someone explain how the Pug oil bath filter works? Does it rely on the inertia of the dust particles in an air column aimed at the oil to make them hit the surface of the oil and stick, or is it more that this? I've got a mate with a 4wd that fancies trying one...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I believe that just the momentum of the particles is supposed to be enough to ram them into the oil while the mesh filter stops the large particles that don't stay in the oil.

-Joe

I had oil bath air filters on three 404 Injection cars, including my current Coupé. It's funny, even after a couple of years, there were very few particulates suspended in the oil, and for that matter, the oil never got discoloured. I always assumed this meant this filtration method was crap. That impression was reinforced because dry air filters on my other cars seemed to trap all kinds of stuff.

The icing on the cake was that the 404 oil bath filters all leak, dripping a couple of drops per day of oil onto the valve cover near cylinder no. 1, by the exhaust manifold. No amount of careful cleaning and subsequent sealing would stop this.

In fact, I'm so fed up with these incontinent filters that I've sent one to a 404 owning friend in France (why he wants it, I'm not sure wink ) and in exchange he's sending me a 404 Injection dry element filter with factory cold air intake.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Mike Tippett:
    I had oil bath air filters on three 404 Injection cars, including my current Coupé. It's funny, even after a couple of years, there were very few particulates suspended in the oil, and for that matter, the oil never got discoloured. I always assumed this meant this filtration method was crap. That impression was reinforced because dry air filters on my other cars seemed to trap all kinds of stuff.
    Mike,

Peugeot fit oil bath filters to their models sold in dusty countries. They stopped using them on the 504 in australia in 1976. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that the earlier oil bath equipped engines last alot longer than the paper or foam equipped models. This would suggest that the oil baths are superior.

I know a number of people with oil bath equipped 504s which have done over 500,000km and the engine doesn't use any oil and is free of rattles. I haven't yet heard of a paper element equipped 504 engine that has lasted this well, although good maintenance has alot to do with things.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I too am forced to question the filtration ability of an oil bath, I just don't see much happening there.

However I have heard so many stories about the blessings of an oil bath air filter, that I am now simply confused and thus I am now listening to the pragmatist voice in me:

"Oil baths are messy." "Give me a dry element."

-Joe

1000+ Posts
    ..oh, suppose I should've explained myself..it was Dave relating the above story elsewhere in this forum that prompted me to tell my mate about these filters, hence the question...

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

XN6guy:

"Oil baths are messy." "Give me a dry element."

-Joe
    Joe,

I sympathise with you. I run a dry paper element (12" diameter by 2" height fitted to Weber 32/36 DGAV) on my 504. I've a K&N ready for the 40mm Weber that's going on the XN1 soon.

The main thing I have against the oilbath is that the version fitted to carburetored 404s and 504s makes it a little difficult to access the sparkplugs and the throttle cable (not a problem for countries, like the US, where the throttle cable is mounted on the other side).

I quite like the oilbath fitted to my Dad's 203. It's small and unobtrusive and mounted up on the firewall and connected to the single barrel carb via a hose. There would be a fairly low limit to it's flow capacity though.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    on one of my 604's i moved the battery and had an oil bath filter from a 504 in it's place
    it was well situated there as the intake for it ended up right behind the grille and recieved plenty of cool air flow.
    if it ever leaked it wasn't a worry as the horns for the 604's is underneath where the battery normally is
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    This seems to shed some light on oil bath cleaners:

<a href="http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint6.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint6.htm</a>

con.....

1000+ Posts
    Thanks, Con. I'll tell the guy not to worry about it...

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The old tractor system sounds a bit more basic than the Peugeot ones, con.

Its worth noting that , after giving them up on the 504, Peugeot went back to the oil bath filter for the XN6 engines fitted to the Australian 505sLi's ten years later. This was despite presumably significantly higher production costs, and less chance of making profit on replacement parts etc. Doesn't sound like something they would do if it didn't provide some real benefits.

The 505 sLi system, by the way, doesn't suffer from the leaking problems of the 404 system, but it is a real pain in the neck to get at to service.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information