504 suspension
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 suspension

504 suspension

I want to lower my '74 504 TI, but have had no luck in getting springs from any maufacturers. Has any one done this before?

Advertisement
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    give jumbo springs a call in moorebank they have made quite a few sets for 504's over the years
    they made a set up for me a few years ago and they worked really well
    i had 74TI as well that i lowered but i used 604 struts and had them set around 3" lower and then had the rears made up to match the fronts
    just be wary when you lower the car depending on how far you are going to go but the lower you go the more negative camber you are going to get and 504's run the shortest lower control arms so it makes it hard to pull the camber back again
    i used 504 lower arms on my 604 struts to reduce some of the camber and ended up with around 3deg neg on the front and 1.5 neg camber on the rear
    the car handled like it was on rails and looked the part as well but i had to play with tyre pressures to keep the tyres from wearing the inside out
    the other thing to do is find a camber kit to either fit on the lower arm to adjust camber or have adjustabe strut tops
    i am in the process at the moment of hunting down a set of 604 adjustable struts that i once had
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Another point to watch, especially if you get radical like the rambo, is to avoid having the springs made so that they can become unseated on full droop...

Make sure they have enough preload that they take up the full damper travel.

Fellow Frogger!
    Also, you should never lower the suspension so much that the lower control arm is parallel to the ground (or that it reaches this point during cornering). Once you go past this point you start to experience "camber loss" during cornering, and the roll centre can also become unsuitable.

Dave

I only intend to lower the car 30 to 50 mm to reduce the 4wd look of the car, more than for increased handling. I still want to be able to drive up driveways and go over speed humps. Will give jumboz springs a call today.
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Spoke to jumbo and they dont have springs for the 504, but can reset the original springs for about $150. Is this a viable alternative??

VIP Sponsor
    Whenever, I have had springs reset they have sagged lower and lower.

Graham Wallis

when i first went to them i took along a spare set that i had and they made new springs
    they needed them to get measurements from them to make the new ones but they only did that as they didn't have the specs on the 604 springs at that stage
    from memory they cost me then $120 for the new springs and they were painted green of all colours
    the 604 springs are a taller uncompressed spring than the 504 item dur to the V6 bieng a little heavier and they were out of an auto car which also is a lot heavier than a manual g/box
    pedders also make a spring for the 504 as well which i had in another of my cars and they were also a very good spring
    i know jumbos reset a pair of springs for a mechanic mate of mine
    he put a bull bar on the front of the car and due to the weight it lowered the front of the car 3/4" so he took the springs around the corner to them and they reset them back up the difference
    they were fine but as graham said reset springs do have a tendency to sag over time
    when i had mine made by them i had them upgraded 25% so they were a lot stiffer then the standard item as well as them bieng shorter this gave the front end of the car a fairly rigid front end
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Who on earth says 504s have a 'four wheel drive look'?

Leave it alone, just drive it! You only change things to improve the car, never to change the looks!

I must admit that the 504's and 604's and 505's to a certain degree do have the "4WD look"
    this is mainly due to the cut in the frint guards and leaving such a big gap between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the guard
    unless you are going off road all the time there isn't any harm in bringing the car a little closer to the black stuff and the car will handle better and look better
    over the years the guards have been getting closer and closer to the top of the wheels
    Most other car makers started doing this many years ago but peugeot were just a little behind in doing the same
    I know a 604 i had looked mean from the front with Neg camber and it handled really well for a car it's size and 504's are a lot of fun once you cure some of that body roll
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    2 pugs:
    I only intend to lower the car 30 to 50 mm to reduce the 4wd look of the car, more than for increased handling. I still want to be able to drive up driveways and go over speed humps. Will give jumboz springs a call today.
    Lowering the front any more than 30mm on a 504 is enough to encounter the problem I mentioned, unless you make the springs really really hard.

Dave

Just ordered a set of lowered springs for my 504. A set of Aurora springs, lowered 30mm.

The 504 "4wd" look just shows how forward thinking Peugeot really were back then....20" wheels slot in there beautifully

but nooooo....now you've lowered it....no 20" wheels for you!

lol

(i'm with ray....spend money on things that make a difference, rather than looks)
    ________
    Novana Residence Condo
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:13 AM.

yeah i would like to lower.. or mainly stiffen teh sus on my 505STI.. is it worth sorting the GTI's set up and replacing.. (mines a 84 sti)

but even teh gti's are still fairly soft and still sit up in the air..

I dont wann go 3rd party tho.. as thats why i feel in love with the pug.. teh way it seemingly floats over teh road... But all that will change when turbo arives..(one day) so i need stiffness for handaling of course..

any thoughts?

cheers...

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

The springs are also stiffer, so with some wider rims and good rubber the car should handle sweetly. Maybe not 20's, but some 16's would look good. Polished Simmons? dance

nJm
    bowie:
    yeah i would like to lower.. or mainly stiffen teh sus on my 505STI.. is it worth sorting the GTI's set up and replacing.. (mines a 84 sti)
    I think someone (might have been Dave?) said late model STi's had the GTi suspension fitted as standard.

I still haven't done it, but the first thing I'll do to improve the handling on my 505GR is to get thicker sway bars off a GTi or something like that to reduce the body roll. Mind you, the excessive body roll is half the fun - I get a great sense of satisfaction watching my passengers in the rear mirror suddenly reach for the grab handles when I go charging into a tight corner at speed
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

hiih yeah the sway always get results.. hihih

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information