The 307 has arrived
  • Register
  • Help

The 307 has arrived

After 2 months, the 307 has arrived. Picked it up this afternoon from Regans. It's my first Peugeot & my first French car.

For 30k on the road, it has to be one of the best value quality hatches in its class. Plenty of toys and good features. Love the trip computer and steering wheel audio controls. Forget to shut the windows - press the lock button on the remote, and it'll close the windows for you. Good one touch operation on all windows as well.

The transmission isn't the best, it clunks a little here and there a tad of the strange old shifting down for engine braking behaviour, but its not bad overall. The tiptronic is actually quite good (pity the shift action is the wrong way around - shifted into 2nd, instead of 4th), but it is swift in responding compared to most autoboxes.

In terms of performance, I haven't really pushed it yet (seeing it's still young, I'm trying to be kind to it), but it's no rocket (1.6 auto). It does seem like an engine that appreciates revs, beyond 3000rpm (I haven't been beyond 3500), it starts to come alive. In first gear, it's quite dozy and shifts early, but in second it holds on the gear slightly longer and starts to zip ahead. Strangely, when you move the transmission lever, it makes a zapping noise outside.

Steering feels odd for me, I'm not sure how to describe it. Turning circle is fairly large though. Handling is quite good, you can fly through corners quite easily. Ride is probably not as bad as magazines have made it out to be - it's solid, but not as plush as a Clio.

The cabin is quite roomy, and the dash is very deep. You cannot see the front end of the car from the driver's seat. If you put the seat up, you feel as if you're driving a Tarago or 4WD - it's very high and the windscreen is quite far from you (it is huge and very deep). Fortunately, the driving experience is not like that

Refinement is excellent. The stereo is not too bad, but I suspect that it could do with better speakers. Climate Control is working quite well so far. Glovebox is deep, but you lose half of it, because the fusebox is in there - it's airconditioned.

Advertisement

Seats are firm, but comfortable. Not quite in the Volvo league, but very good nevertheless (perhaps a little more back support would be good). Much firmer than the typical French car. No lumbar support, but it seems fine. Headrests are good, with angle adjust as well. Pump action seat high adjustment on both seats is one of the best seat adjustment mechanisms I've come across.

I'll come back with some photos & a better report once I've driven more. It's only got 50km on the clock now. Any questions?

China Blue looks great, especially in the sun. The car looks huge for a small car, IMHO, when you put it next to other small cars. It pays off with a good cabin, with seats that are mounted high enough so that you don't have your knees in the air, but your head isn't buried in the headliner (ala Clio).

Oh yeah, the car came with Contis

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    Congratulations! A good car, prices are competitive with any jap cars. wink Don't be too concerned about the gearbox as with all Pugs it will improve with a few K's on the clock, dito for the engine. I can't say I'm a fan of the upright styling but it is practical. Your comment on the seats concerns me as this, in my view is one area most french cars excell. I've sat in a few Volvo's they failed to impress me (soft but not suportive). Most seats you need to spend a day or two travelling in to find out what their really like. Enjoy your new Pug!
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Hello Justin:

Congratulation to u. Are u sure about those “auto-close” windows when u lock up ur car?. About those 206's automatic gear box problems I have mentioned in the previous post, they have solutions now in Australia. Bring ur car back to the dealer and ask them about “re-programming”. It’s a download-able program from France and it will fix all the bugs in the computer program. As far as I know, the program changes a term “OE01” into “OE02” and wa-la……no more problems so far!………… I have told my friend Wilson (owns 206CC, 1.6L in moonstone-check out the Sydney Cruise photos, my one is the Sahara Yellow 307) about this and he is going to have his car “re-program” at Parramatta service dept. We are pretty optimistic about it…………..Enjoy ur drive! looking forward to hear more about ur "automatic" ...........

Gary
    GKOSHU

Justin:

My windows didn't close when I press the "lock" on the remote.........must be a new feature on 2002 modle ..........

Gary
    GKOSHU

Gary,

Lock the car. Then hold on the lock button. If there are any open windows, they should close. See page 65, middle column of your manual.

Bring my car back to the dealer??? Hahah, I've only had it for half a day so far (does this reprogramming apply to the 307 as well?)

Rick,

I reckon my Pug has a little more personality than the Jap cars Hope the engine & tranny get better, heck, I'm sure they will (50km so far, many more to go).

Don't get me wrong, the seats aren't bad. I still think Volvo makes the best seats in the business Judging by what I read in the media (& I read widely), many others do. Not many car manufacturers get hospitals to design their seats.

French seats are too soft (generally speaking, the 307 sets them in a new direction), German seats are too hard. Sweden gets them just right. IIRC, one of the British chiropractic associations recommended that members drive a Volvo or a Saab if they suffer from back problems.

Ahwell, each one to his own, eh?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    I don't really like the seats in my 306, they're just too big. I find myself sliding in them and the lumbar support is too high. I get a sore neck/back after a long drive, i've tried many different combunations and still no help. I'm seriously thinking about getting new seats. I sat in a new Mr2 and the seats were just perfect! fit my like a glove. I guess i'm too small

Thread Information