• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: 604

On sunday i picked myself up a series 1 604. I plan on getting the car registered in the next couple of months and retiring the 504 to club rego.
    Any tips on keeping the car running would be helpful.

Advertisement

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Just like every other car...

Just add money.

Oh, yes, get rid of the mechanical fuel pump and put an electric one somewhere in the line, probably near the tank.

If you want to make it economical to run, toss the fuel tank, fit an LPG cylinder and fit up some Impco gear on the larger of the two carby holes in the manifold.

Then rig it so you can slip the link from the wheel that the throttle cable runs on to whatever throttle body you use under the mixer.

At the front of the manifold you toss the original little carby, fit up a 305 carby and make it so you can similarly clip the linkage from the same wheel to this.

Have a separate switch for your electric fuel pump, mount a shallow tank from some Japanese car under the boot floor for emergency use when you run out of gas.

Other than that, just make sure you use that petrol every month or so, because it goes off these days.

And carry a supply of window winder switches...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Ray Bell:
    Just like every other car...

Just add money.

Oh, yes, get rid of the mechanical fuel pump and put an electric one somewhere in the line, probably near the tank.

If you want to make it economical to run, toss the fuel tank, fit an LPG cylinder and fit up some Impco gear on the larger of the two carby holes in the manifold.

Then rig it so you can slip the link from the wheel that the throttle cable runs on to whatever throttle body you use under the mixer.

At the front of the manifold you toss the original little carby, fit up a 305 carby and make it so you can similarly clip the linkage from the same wheel to this.

Have a separate switch for your electric fuel pump, mount a shallow tank from some Japanese car under the boot floor for emergency use when you run out of gas.

Other than that, just make sure you use that petrol every month or so, because it goes off these days.

And carry a supply of window winder switches...
    save all hassle and run an injection system from a volvo
    most important to keep it running is make sure you get the electronic ignition from one as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Mine had the Volvo ignition and a Holley, but not the fuel pump. Don't go Holley unless you like spending on petrol!
    The window winder switches never gave me trouble, but the back windows were terribly slow. Also, the vacuum headlight adjuster had never worked in the ten years before I had it, and the vacuum central locking was always going on the blink. Stick an electric kit in from Jaycar.
    Also, the auto lockout switch stuffed up on mine, and the brake servo gave up causing it to refuse to idle.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I'm going to get a price this week on getting gas put on the car and just run it on gas.
    I have to fix the auto lockout switch on this one. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road.

cheers!
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

2 pugs:
    I'm going to get a price this week on getting gas put on the car and just run it on gas.
    I have to fix the auto lockout switch on this one. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road.

cheers!
    do you want a holley that has already got the gas conversion done on it ?????
    if so give me a call on 0427 756 851
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    They run heaps better on gas but only set them up to run on straight gas or you will be dissapointed. Run a GRA gas carbie on it as well. Imco is not as good in my experience.
    Even better is using the inlet manifold from a volvo injected V6 so I'm told.
    The volvo ignition is a must for trouble free motoring.

That's why, Warren, I suggested the setup I did...

The straight gas carby goes on the big hole, a little petrol carby on the front hole. That's just to get you to the servo if you run out... it's a pain having to be towed!

Ray Bell:
    That's why, Warren, I suggested the setup I did...

The straight gas carby goes on the big hole, a little petrol carby on the front hole. That's just to get you to the servo if you run out... it's a pain having to be towed!
    save the hassle of bieng towed or running out of gas by running what the engine was designed for.......... Fuel Injection
    get a power gain over a carby
    no hassles of gas availability
    no need for swapping linkages over
    good economy
    cheaper to install than gas
    no worries about engine power dropping off when tank is getting low as gas does either

injection set up around $2-300
    electronic ignition around $200

gas figures i have heard are anything from $1500+

this is just my personal thinking on what to run on a 604

if you want to stay with a carby then the best set up i have experienced is to grab an inlet manifold from a low comp V6, throw a 38DGAV carb on it with the right jets and electronic ignition
    in manual form you should get 29-31mpg on a trip with an auto around 26-29mpg
    i used to get around 21 in town and 31 on a trip
    mums stock standard (the car warren had) used to get 29mpg running from bundanoon to moss vale with the twin solex setup and auto but it was basically a brand new car and the best tune up it ever got was from a bloke called clive gibson and we ran a brand of plug called AC as mum complained about the car not performing once
    her words were it starts breaking down at around 180km/h but once the AC plugs were fitted she was happy as a pig in mud when it did 200km/h happily
    she only ever tried it a couple of times just to clear any cobwebs that may have been hanging around
    we were in the car once with the whole family aboard heading down the F5 from the highlands with air conditioning going and still did 180km/h and she commented that she could have got a bit more out of it as she still had a little pedal left

but that's another story and going a little of topic
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Here is a tip for working on a 604 fuel tank - it has huge boot and you can get a nice big LPG tank into that space - but dont let the bootlid close on you when your working in there - cry
    So many projects - so little time.

604 tragic:
    Here is a tip for working on a 604 fuel tank - it has huge boot and you can get a nice big LPG tank into that space - but dont let the bootlid close on you when your working in there - cry
    too true
    i had one fall on me last year
    it had the gas struts removed from the boot lid so i had to jig a piece of dowel in the boot lid to hold it up while i was pulling the fuel tank back a little to give myself a little more room to get to the top shock mounts and of course it slipped and the lid came crashing down into my back
    much pain was felt believe me
    it is something to watch out for as they are a very heavy boot lid
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'd agree, rambo, if it were not for the cost of gas...

Assuming the car does some mileage, you can save about 35% on your fuel bill. Now, as you know, that would pay my installation in about six months, maybe less.

But wagons don't lend themselves to installing gas, and there are other issues, so it's not for me.

As for losing power as the level falls, that's utter rubbish. When you're out of fuel, down to the last litre or two, yes you will. But most never get that far down.

Fellow Frogger!
    Yes Ray the reason I said straight gas is because the ignition timing for gas is diferent than for petrol. To get the optimum timing for gas you will not run the engine on petrol. To get the car to run on petrol you will lose power on the gas. That is of course if you don't run a computer engine management for both fuel types.

Fellow Frogger!
    2 pugs, you could save yourself some cash if you bought my 604 already converted to lpg and the engine and transmission with under 25k from a complete overhaul. Plus the Volvo electronic ignition as well.

I will even throw in a complete car for spares. Say.. $1500 all up? tongue

Anyone else interested ?

Cheers,

<small>[ 20 August 2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Brodie Shields ]</small>
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

Warren Gordon:
    Yes Ray the reason I said straight gas is because the ignition timing for gas is diferent than for petrol. To get the optimum timing for gas you will not run the engine on petrol. To get the car to run on petrol you will lose power on the gas. That is of course if you don't run a computer engine management for both fuel types.
    In my mind, the only reason you run petrol is to get to the servo where the gas supply can be replenished.

Much less of a problem now there are so many gas outlets around, it was once very different.

So, for this purpose, the timing could be set to favour the gas.

How much for the HOlley converted to gas? What sort of gas mixer does it have on it?
    That would fit straight onto mine, and i would just have to find a tank and regulator. I saw a set in the paper the other day off a Fairlane for $350.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Anyone got a Volvo dissy they want to sell ?

Looks like I am picking up another 604 this week and I want to convert it to Electronic Dissy to begin with then I might look at doing a fuel injection conversion!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Pugnut403:
    How much for the HOlley converted to gas? What sort of gas mixer does it have on it?
    That would fit straight onto mine, and i would just have to find a tank and regulator. I saw a set in the paper the other day off a Fairlane for $350.
    you will find it cheaper to obtain the injection gear
    with the tanks you have to watch out when buying them 2nd hand if they are out of date or not
    buy the time you get all the gear the injection set is already sitting on your car for less money
    2pugs has decided to go the injection route for the moment and will be grabbing some gear very shortly
    i'm sure he will let us know how everything develops
    i have a holley here with the gas conversion done on it but i think 2pugs may still want it but if not i'll let you know
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I wont be needing the holley now thanks Pugrambo.

cheers!

what sort of volvo's do these dizzy's come off?

Could I use one on a 504?

had to ask
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

No, not the one from the V6... you need a 4-cyl distributor with the right advance curve.

I'm told that the Sigma distributor with the inbuilt electronics works fine and isn't hard to adapt.

And they should be right cheap... check out ABC Wreckers at Strathpine, tell them you're looking to see if there might be a distributor you can adapt, look around the yard, find one with the big lump on the side of it, take it off and see if you can buy it for $10...

Thanks Ray,

Might swing by there.

Do u know what actually has to be adapted.

My dizzy is okay but its starting to shows signs of wear and I thought that if I could find a cheap eletronic dizzy I would give it a go.

thanks

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Just look around for one then, don't rush it, get one for next to nothing out of a backyard wreck or something.

I'll look it over with you and see what has to be done when I'm up there.

Another excuse to go to the junkyard me thinks
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I had an interesting idea the other day. I think a 505 GTI motor and 5 speed would be easy to fit in a 604. Certainly would make the 5 speed conversion easier, and I don't think you would lose any power over the carby V6 either.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information