206 GTi problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

206 GTi problems

I have a few issues with my recently purchased 2001 206Gti with 50K on the clock. I would appreciate any feedback to the following issues from fellow owners:

Advertisement

 Factory sunroof (when open) & rear seat area are the source of loud & annoying rattling
     Difficult and time consuming process to bring the fuel tank to full (nozzle keeps cutting out)
     Temp gauge intermittently shoots to top of scale upon start-up evil
     Auto rain sensing wipers do not seem to work travel at same intermittent speed disappro

Thanks for your feedback. Otherwise the car is a joy to own & drive. head_ban

XTC
    <strong>Factory sunroof (when open) & rear seat area are the source of loud & annoying rattling </strong>

They all do ... there is some replacement parts for it ... and they can grease some certain seals, this will help.

The bottom of the rear seat is on clips ... make sure they are firm ...

<strong>Difficult and time consuming process to bring the fuel tank to full (nozzle keeps cutting out) </strong>

Seem mainly a problem with earlier 206's ... the breather pipe isn't large enough, no known fix.

<strong>Temp gauge intermittently shoots to top of scale upon start-up evil </strong>

That's a new one.

<strong> Auto rain sensing wipers do not seem to work – travel at same intermittent speed </strong>

Does it say "Auto Wipers Activated" on the centre display when you turn it on ... I thought only fully muxed GTi's (2002+) had this feature.

Good to see you are enjoying it. And don't forget to check out <a href="http://www.206gti.net" target="_blank">www.206gti.net</a> to get a sticker !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

<strong>Temp gauge intermittently shoots to top of scale upon start-up evil </strong>

My newly acquired 206Gti (2001) does that too. It stays at the top of the temp range with all the lights on behind it for about 4 seconds then goes off. Almost as if its doing a self test or something.

ipb

I am loving my one too.

Cept I found out I have no auto wipers because some idiot replaced the windscreen with a cheapo had no sensor hook up and painted that sensor area...
    at least $600 to set it right... argh
    Renault Fuego GTX '83 --- Gone and Missed
    Renault 16 TS '76 --- Being restored - slowly

Peugeot 206 GTi '01 SOLD

2005 Renault Sport Clio Cup

1000+ Posts
    PugNacious:

 Difficult and time consuming process to bring the fuel tank to full (nozzle keeps cutting out)
    This has been an issue with all Pug 206 and 306 cars I've owned and driven regularly.

What do I do? I don't put the bowser all the way in the filler hole. I only put it as far as the little notch in the bottom of the bowser neck thing. I rest that notch on the lip of the filler, and never have any troubles. Give it a go. Alternatively, make sure you reset your odometer every time you fill up and you'll know pretty much how much to put in till it's full.

Derek.

As Deka sad for the Fuel. Not a problem, just do it slower.
    Also for the auto wipers, when its on look at your windscreen from otside the car, and up near your rearview mirror ther should be a yellow light on, if not seek pug mechanic to fix. It does take some heavy rain to bring on full speed. good luck. - chris
    ... ptui!

In regards to the filling problems, have you tried filling with the nozzle upside down or on an angle?

I've found this cures the problem in some cars.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

XTC
    CHRI'S16:
    As Deka sad for the Fuel. Not a problem, just do it slower.
    Also for the auto wipers, when its on look at your windscreen from otside the car, and up near your rearview mirror ther should be a yellow light on, if not seek pug mechanic to fix. It does take some heavy rain to bring on full speed. good luck. - chris
    I think they are too sensitive sometimes .. turning on when there really isn't enough H20 on the screen .. but according to the dealer it can't be adjusted

Once it's raining - hard or light, they are brill.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Dale34:
    I am loving my one too.

Cept I found out I have no auto wipers because some idiot replaced the windscreen with a cheapo had no sensor hook up and painted that sensor area...
    at least $600 to set it right... argh
    the screeen to replace is around $2-300
    they are no different from a normal screen
    the sensor is glued onto the inside of the glass not built into it like other makes

as for auto wipers all pugs since the N5 306 have had them except for the cab's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

 Temp gauge intermittently shoots to top of scale upon start-up
    when it does this it is actually showing you the oil level. everything's OK! it's in the manual
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Another drama since the weekend...

The drivers seat wont slide back into the long legged position. The seat runners are jammed at the "shortest leg" setting so I cant drive it.
    The UK website claims this is a common problem.
    Anyone know how to fix otherwise it is off to the dealer on Monday..

ib

XTC
    pugrambo:
    the sensor is glued onto the inside of the glass not built into it like other makes
    Nope .. the screen is about $1200 to replace and there is two parts bonded to it ... the prism plastic for the rain sensor and the metal clip for the mirror ... the screen is also athermic (you can tell these from the outside cause they give off a kinda purple haze).

I watched and photographed the guys take out my old cracked windscreen and put in a new one about 4 weeks ago.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    XTC206:
    pugrambo:
    Nope .. the screen is about $1200 to replace and there is two parts bonded to it ... the prism plastic for the rain sensor and the metal clip for the mirror ... the screen is also athermic (you can tell these from the outside cause they give off a kinda purple haze).

I watched and photographed the guys take out my old cracked windscreen and put in a new one about 4 weeks ago.

- XTC206 -
    i'll stick to my 306 for sure then
    $2-300 for a screen fitted and they have the auto sensing wipers as well that seem to work well enough
    i just hate it when they kick into top gear when it really starts pouring down
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Speaking about auto sensing wipers; a guy overseas bought one of the very first C5s, the ones they had the dramas with, and reported that it had some electrical gremlins. It seems that whenever it rained & the wipers turned on, for some reason, the sunroof opened.

How would you like to be the service manager booking that one in & trying to keep a straight face?

.............. roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau

Alan S a_drink
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

PugNacious:
    I have a few issues with my recently purchased 2001 206Gti with 50K on the clock. I would appreciate any feedback to the following issues from fellow owners:

 Temp gauge intermittently shoots to top of scale upon start-up
    Would this be the oil temp gauge? If so, that is what it does if you hold the key in the "on" position" for a few seconds. It is telling you how much oil is in the sump. The reason you may think it is working intermittently is that it doesn't do it at all if you start the car quickly - it's all in the timing from turning the key between "on" & "start" if you get my drift

As for the slow filling, well that is a problem you will just have to put up with. It is indeed a small breather pipe - but I have no idea if it was fixed in later models. I tend to fill it normally up to halfway, and then let it "tick" over. No 2 pumps will be the same and the same pump at the same servo on different days will yield different results.

It's very annoying, but that is that. disappro

<small>[ 01 October 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: SLC206 ]</small>
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC
    SLC206:
    As for the slow filling, well that is a problem you will just have to put up with. It is indeed a small breather pipe - but I have no idea if it was fixed in later models.
    Sound silly but if possible when filling up look for the pump that allows the car to be leaning to the left ... I actually found this helps a little - less cutting off prematurely. I guess it's due to less splash-back.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PugNacious

Thanks for your feedback. Otherwise the car is a joy to own & drive. head_ban
    Apologies if this reply is late but I only found this forum yesterday . I too had the 'never satisfied' fuel level on almost 9/10 occasions of when I filled up my '01 206 GTi. Varying the filling up technique similar to what has already been described by the other forum members did alleviate the issue to a slight degree, however, I mentioned this to the local dealer and they managed to replaced the fuel sensor which now works in the opposite way (ie most times now without really trying the fuel level sits on 1 when full). I don't know how much it costs as I had it done under warranty.

AJ

Thread Information