ABS on a 205?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: ABS on a 205?

Fellow Frogger!

ABS on a 205?

Looking at a 205 sales brochure recently from the UK and apparently the later models (I'm assuming series 3) had the option of 2-sensor ABS. Does anyone know if we had this option in Australia, and anything more about it?

Advertisement

XTC
    Bagel:
    Looking at a 205 sales brochure recently from the UK and apparently the later models (I'm assuming series 3) had the option of 2-sensor ABS. Does anyone know if we had this option in Australia, and anything more about it?
    All the 205's I've seen have drums in the rear, I'd assume you'd need discs for ABS to be effective.

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts
    I don't know from a mechanical perspective, but I'm sure I've read reviews of cars with rear drums and ABS. Maybe the ABS was for the front wheels? Am I completely of the track?
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

The current 5 door Clios in Australia have ABS - front discs & rear drums.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

306's equipped with rear Bendix drums had ABS on the front brakes only, according to Haynes. I guess this may be the same system used on the UK 205's mentioned (and maybe the Cleos too) .

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 26 June 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

XTC206:
    Bagel:
    All the 205's I've seen have drums in the rear, I'd assume you'd need discs for ABS to be effective.

XTC206
    Australian Series 3s and classics had rear discs

We never had the ABS option here.....

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks DTwo, that's what I thought. If you happen to look at this thread again - what was upgraded/changed on the GTi from series 2 to 3 and Classics? Also, how do you tell series 3 and classics apart from series 2?

Bagel:
    Thanks DTwo, that's what I thought. If you happen to look at this thread again - what was upgraded/changed on the GTi from series 2 to 3 and Classics? Also, how do you tell series 3 and classics apart from series 2?
    I did a bit of a list in this post last year....

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000755" target="_blank">"Parry" 205GTI Information </a>

The short answer is,
    S3s had pwr steering, 90kw engine, slightly different gearing, 15" speedline wheels, rear discs and they are 1991'+

<small>[ 26 June 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>

There is nothing to stop an ABS system being used on drum brakes. Think about it, ABS symply uses a sensor to detect when the wheel is locked, and releases the hydraulic pressure until the wheel starts to turn again. It can be applied to drums just as easily as discs.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

XTC
    Pugnut403:
    There is nothing to stop an ABS system being used on drum brakes. Think about it, ABS symply uses a sensor to detect when the wheel is locked, and releases the hydraulic pressure until the wheel starts to turn again. It can be applied to drums just as easily as discs.
    Do drums react as well as discs with ABS? or is it a fallacy ?

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

1000+ Posts
    My sister's Clio (disc front drum rear) pulls up SO hard once the emergency braking override system cuts in (I can't remember the acronym for it). I'd say it has better brakes than my XSi in terms of both progressive feel and then when you really hit them hard, the sheer power.

I've never actually looked at the C3's brakes, but being a Citroen one would assume it has discs on the rear. I'll check it out wink

Derek

Pugnut403:
    Probably not in theory at least, 403, but drums are usually fitted as a lower cost option. Probably wouldn't make sense to fit cheap brakes and then a high cost add on.

Ther might also be some technical issues relating to the speed of reaction of the mechanism. Drums rely to some extent on the operation of a lever (one end of the shoe is pivotted). The linings are usually a little further from the drum than a pad is from a disk too.This probably means a longer travel time for the application of the requisite force. I would guess that it is harder to get the almost instantaneous application and release necessary for abs operation.

As far as I know the rear drum brake cars on the market at present with ABS only have it on the front wheels.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

XTC
    Rod Hagen:
    As far as I know the rear drum brake cars on the market at present with ABS only have it on the front wheels. Cheers Rod
    Intersting ... does that mean you could still lock the rears up question

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

A good driver can still modulate the pedal an a drum braked car, so I don't see how a computer would have any trouble doing it.
    If you only had ABS on the front, you should still be able to lock the rears up, which is a dangerous situation.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

1000+ Posts
    I remember pressing the button at a pedestrian crossing once, and a women driving a magna decided to stop when the light went orange, she really should have just gone through, But:

She slammed on the brakes, the fronts clearly had ABS working and did'nt slide at all, the rears were scretching and smoking like an errant teenager.

Very dramatic... made me feel bad for her rear tyers!
    Tim

2016 Lexus RX450h

Rod Hagen:
    306's equipped with rear Bendix drums had ABS on the front brakes only, according to Haynes.
    When you ordered an early 306 with ABS in Australia, it came with rear discs instead of drums.

XTC
    Pugnut403:
    If you only had ABS on the front, you should still be able to lock the rears up, which is a dangerous situation.
    That's what I'm saying ... not a very safe situation.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information