205 GTI SMOKIE REBUILT ENGINE???
  • Register
  • Help

205 GTI SMOKIE REBUILT ENGINE???

I have recently rebuilt my 205gti with new pistons/rings and sleeves, the head was preasure tested and reconditioned and the radiator checked. After all this the car continuedto blow blue smoke! I took it to a pug mechanic who proceeded to spend a month trying to find what was wrong? he eventually pulled the head off and the pistons and sleeves out to find a broken ring and he tells me that the incorrect oil ring was used. So he replaces the ring and puts it back together. To our surprise it still blows smoke WHAT THE??? The car also when hot seems to run very rich and ping which added to the blue smoke pisses me off more.

Advertisement

To all that have owned/still own one has anyone got any idea what is going on with this thing. I have now owned it for 12 months and had it on the road for about 2 month. Any ideas welcome. By the way the mechanic who helped in the end is a very reputable one and his work is not it question.

Cheers

Neil D
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Fellow Frogger!
    I,m not overly familiar with Pug engines but it would be worth checking crankcase breather ( PCV) for obstrutions. Also it would probably be worthwile having your distributor ignition curb re-mapped.

Hope this helps
    Regards Rick
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Fellow Frogger!
    Neil,

I don't know how they ended up with the wrong rings as the piston and liner kits for these engines come completely balanced and assembled from the factory.
    It is unlikely for them to put wrong rings at the factory.
    It is more likely that the mechanics put some mix of parts and got it all wrong
    I am not blameing your mechanic in the end i really don't know what happened but i have vast experience with these engines.
    U say the head was reco (To be honest mate that could mean just about anything these days)
    Theres recondition, remanufactured,rebuilt
    What it means for one shop could mean somethingelse for the other.
    Find out what has really been done to your reco head (And u might find the problem)

Murat

I will give more information regarding the rebuild to assist in ideas. I purchased a rebuild Kit from peuget including piston, rings and sleevs, the reconditioning of the head was perfomed by Chiltons in brisbane which are one of the best engineering business in Brisbane, they cracked tested the head, new guide, seals etc.

now the oil rings that came with the rebuild set had no spring with the oil ring and the rings that came out of the car before the rebuild had a spring on the oil ring. I consulted peugeot and they stated that the new rings do not have the spring in the oil ring. Therefore the i proceeded to put it back together with out the spring. My Pug mechanic when the engine was pulled down stated that there are a number of ring sets available for these engines and proceeded to rebuild with a different oil ring with a spring. The end result is still a smokey engine.

My question to all that have dealing with this engine is are there any ring type that should be used and some that should not be used ??? I have replaced all the breather hoses on the engine to elliminate that as a cause. Is there any other areas that i should be exploring as I have reached a point where it is about to be pulled apart again and i do not want to do it again??

I should add that this car has not been looked after for the past few years of its life it has service history to 120,000KM and then nothing for the last 40,000KM. I have only used genuine peugeot parts and just about replaced everything with new parts.

Any assitance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Neil
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Neil...is this the red 205 I saw in peices in the A&J Lewis workshop in Wynnum?

I took my S16 there for a few services and repairs and Arthur seems to know what he is on about.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    Could still be blocked oil breather in cam cover or internal in engine. Are all screens (if any) still fitted in this system? It may even pay to fit a screen to this system immediatly after the camcover. Also when does the engine blow smoke power on, or power off, power on generally rings, power off valve stem seals. Don't get confused with engine blowing smoke on power on immediatly after idling or overrun as this is norally valve stem seals.
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Fellow Frogger!
    Neil,

I simply just quote the year of the car and they hand me the correct piston & liner kit.
    I really don't bother asking to much questions.
    If the company u r dealing with is ruputable and it sounds like they r they should be able to figure out what the hell went wrong.
    After all u paid them to do a job and the work aint finished untill your happy.
    I really can't nail what is wrong
    Did u run the engine in correctly
    Maybe the rings did not bed in
    Did u do a compression test.
    I would get them to do a leakdown test before pulling the motor out.

Murat

Tadpole
    Valve guides are worn.. nuff said...they probably just put new seals on them

neil 416:
    I he eventually pulled the head off and the pistons and sleeves out to find a broken ring and he tells me that the incorrect oil ring was used. So he replaces the ring and puts it back together. To our surprise it still blows smoke
    I guess the first question is why did the ring break, and did it do any damage to the liner or piston in the process.

It could have been broken on assembly at the manufacturers, or during assembly of the engine, or during operation. If it was the former, it is possible that either the liner or the piston are deformed or have incorrect tolerances.

If this is so, then the new ring may have broken too, for the same reason, when the motor was powered up.

Other possibilities include things like thermal or mechanical distortion of the cylinder liners. The first is often due to improper water jacket cleaning on assembly , and the latter to incorrect head tensioning or tensioning sequences.

The heavy pinging etc may indicate some sort of thermal problem I guess. Of course, heavy pre-detonation can itself result in ring damage.

What does a compression test of the engine say?

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 28 May 2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information