Life span of an STi motor
  • Register
  • Help

Life span of an STi motor

From my experience in the Douvrin motor in Renaults, they go forever. So I was a bit surprised when the engine in my friends STi started blowing a fair bit of blue smoke when cold. It didnt do it when I looked at it when we bought it, but after an oil change (which it desparatly needed at the time) it started its smoking habit.
    It has 220 000 km on it, which is the prime of life for the Renault version. Is the pug that different, or have we just been unlucky. Havent tested the compresion latly, but I'm hoping its just valve guide seals.

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!
    My Dad had a 1984 Renault Fuego with the Douvrin 2.2 and it lasted about 250,000 km before massive oil leaks became unbearable. The car was well-maintained, with 6000 km oil/filter changes all its life. It was driven responsibly too. It drank a fair bit of oil after 150,000 km too.

I think this is a 250,000 km engine.

I say "about" 250,000 km in the Fuego because the speedometer, as with many Renaults, failed, in this case at around 220,000 km...

Also, bear in mind that the 505 is a fair bit heavier than a Fuego. More mass = more stress.

No, that was not Renault's or Peugeot's best engine, not by a long shot.

<small>[ 26 June 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: M. Tippett ]</small>
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

Mr R25 has 220000 km on it, has been maintained by idiots for a lot of its life and weighs about the same as a 505, and is in perfect nick - doesnt leak or use a drop of oil.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information