505 Central Locking
  • Register
  • Help

505 Central Locking

Has any one had trouble with the centarl locking in their 505's??
    One of our kids was holding the handle open when the locking was unlocked, by the key, and has jammed the door mechanism completely. The door appears to lock/unlock but the handle doesn't work. You can not open the door. Our car seems to do this a fair bit so my wife tells me. I got caught the other day too, with the passengers door, same thing. mallet How do I open the door , as I don't think I can get the door trim off enough to unlock it????/
    Cheers, and thanks
    Chris.

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I've found in such situations it pays to be able to look at one of the other doors with the trim removed, to get an idea of what could jam, then destroy the door handle on the jammed door in order to get some screwdrivers inside in order to lever the required parts into the correct place in order to alow the door to open.

I did this with a 504 a couple of weeks ago. 504s in particular have a very week alignment spring in the doorlocking mechanism, which is not capable of bringing everything into the correct alignment when the lubrication starts to dry out. Alot of 504s end up with jammed doors because of this. A stronger spring and some new lube cures the problem for good.

505 door locks are different to the 504, but it does sound like your kid's actions resulted in an incorrect alignment of things inside.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Before dismantling anything, squirting some WD40 into the mech anywhere you can is worth a shot!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Dave,
    Thanks, apparently the door just freed itself today. I'll be removing the trim this weekend and just having look and oiling it ALL.

Thanks again
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Haakon:
    Before dismantling anything, squirting some WD40 into the mech anywhere you can is worth a shot!
    Sorry, yeah I should have mentioned that. The WD40 trick (plus giving the door a firm tap) more often than not brings evrything back into alignment.

My friend's 504 on which I had to destroy the door handle, was the first one I'd encountered where I couldn't get the WD40 trick to work.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I have the same problem on my 504. The handle on the driver's door stays out after opening the door and has to be pushed back into place when you close the door otherwise it doesn't lock. I've had the trim off and dumped a heap of Inox into it. It didn't seem to fix the problem. The locking mechanism doesn't work all that well either. It locks but quite often cannot be unlocked which is annoying. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks,

Ralph.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Ralph:
    I have the same problem on my 504. The handle on the driver's door stays out after opening the door and has to be pushed back into place when you close the door otherwise it doesn't lock. I've had the trim off and dumped a heap of Inox into it. It didn't seem to fix the problem. The locking mechanism doesn't work all that well either. It locks but quite often cannot be unlocked which is annoying. Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks,

Ralph.
    Ralph,

The only permanent cure is fitting a stiffer spring as I mentioned above. There are two springs in the mechanism. The one I'm talking about is the vertical one.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Thread Information