Mi 16 Coughing
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Mi 16 Coughing

Mi 16 Coughing

When i start my Mi up especially in the colder weather for the first time in a day, I get a bit of a cough / stutter if I put my foot down. When i purchased the car it consistently coughed, I got it serviced and it was down to a rusty old coil set. The coughing that i get now is the same symptom however only lasts until the engine warms up a bit then everything is fine. I put a fuel enchancer in last night and that seems to have improved things, but i will monitor.
    Is it common for Mi's to do this when they first start up, or do i have a problem with the coil set again? If it was rusty then I am guessing sopmething was leaking water which I am guessing could still be happening?!?
    Thanks for your help

Advertisement

Angus
    1993 Peugeot 405 Mi 16 S2

My S16 sometimes has a 'lumpy' idle when first started when the engine is already warm and I dont give it any throttle before, durring or after start. Give it a bit and it goes away.

Do you have the S1 or S2 Mi?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    My Mi16 was fine even on icey Wimmera mornings. I suggest you look at having your injectors back flushed (cleaned)or at least replace the 'o'rings on them. It could be 'o'rings are not sealing properly when they are cold but when they heat up they soften and expand. If there is any hint of fuel smell do it now whip as the 'o'rings can fail and cause subsequent fuel leaks and fire dead eek! .
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

In answering all the questions, I have a series 2 93 Mi 16 and there is no smell of fuel.
    It doesn't seem to be coughing since i put the fuel enchancer in! But the injectors could probably use a clean - the car is probably in need of a service.

How often should i service the car 1, 2, 3 times a year??
    1993 Peugeot 405 Mi 16 S2

Fellow Frogger!
    Have the water leak looked at as a mater of urgency if the water pump seizes it will break the timing belt and bend valves, crack pistons etc, etc. Invest $50 on a Haynes workshop manual this will answer most questions on servicing and is a invalueble guide for all these little jobs that pop up from time to time. mallet In my veiw the oil change should be every 6 months or 10000K which ever shorter period. Some other things can be extended depending on the type of driving you do and how often a mechanic looks at your car. Having said that cutting corners on servicing is generally false economy! wink

<small>[ 18 July 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Tadpole
    Angus you don't happen to own a black mi16 and live in melbourne do you?
    Cheers,

Nick

Thread Information