Squishy slurpy sounds in pug!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Gem

Squishy slurpy sounds in pug!!

ARGH! This pug is going to be the death of me!!!
    Just got the water pump replaced, and now the engine runs cooler which is a bonus.
    Unfortunately the engine is making this weird sound now. It did it once or twice before I got the water pump replaced, but now its doing it a lot more often.
    I can hear it quite cleary so I think the sound is coming from just behind the dash.
    It sounds like a mouse squeaking sometimes, but other times sounds like a slurpy sucking sound. It happens at irregular intervals while I drive. Today when I turned the car off, it made this bubbly/slurpy sound, like there was pressure somewhere and liquid is being squirted out.
    I checked and nothing is leaking on the ground. Engine is running cool, and oil pressure is good. Will have a closer look when I get home from work.
    Anyone have any idea what this is? Should I stop driving ASAP? I will book it in somewhere next week.
    Should I push this car off a cliff?
    Does this prove my theory that the universe is out to get me??

Advertisement
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

GEMMA please let me know whatever you find out about this. I have a 93 Mi16 and sometimes hear the same noise. I don't know what it is but its exactly the same without a doubt!! I get the mousie noise and other times the squishy squashy noise or whatever you call it. It sounds like its under the dash on the passenger side of the vehicle yeah??!
    I too have not been able to locate any leaks etc.
    I have noticed that it is magnified when the heating / aircon is switched to the Window demist setting (ie not face or feet)
    I was going to take mine to get fixed when i do my cambelt change but that ain't for another 7'000kms!!
    Please keep me posted.

- Angus
    1993 Peugeot 405 Mi 16 S2

Lol, well at lease I am not the only one with this. I noticed it only recently, but mine only occurs durring acceleration, mainly in 1st and 2nd gear. I have NFI what it is.

That mouse noise... Turn the fan off and see if it stops. I have a feeling it's the fan bearings getting noisy.

Other than that, I occasionally hear a squeak, push on the dash and it goes away.

Gem...don't get dismayed, come for a drive up Mt Glorious sometime and you'll love it.

PS are you coming to the Grand Display at UQ?
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Receiver dryer on your aircon?? does it happen more on humid days??

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I doubt it would be that. In mine, it seems the be related to the amount of forward acceleration. Could it possibly be in the heater core? I have never seen the setup of one though. Is it a radiator with coolant running through it which the air is passed through? I am not loosing water so it has stumped me.

Pehapes worn bearings on the A/C fan scrapping on a shroud when forward g's are made.

What about if the cooling system was not fully 'primed'. Does this have to be done. I changed my thermostate recently and she look a while to stabilise the water level.

<small>[ 24 June 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Phasis ]</small>

Gem
    This sound occurs without the fan or the aircon on. Its just happening now, and its not very humid at all. It happens when I accelerate, put the clutch in, break, turn etc.
    I'll let you all know if I find out what it is. :S
    Brad, I will look at coming to the Grand Display at UQ!!
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Tadpole
    hey guys the sound to me sometimes sounds like a belt slipping. could it have something to do with the powersteering perhaps? i noticed it happened sometimes when i turned the wheel.
    -Mike
    Mmmm - two stroke

ewwww, that rang a bell.

My dad has a Holden powered Rangie. When the fluid in the power steering reseviour gets low it emits that whiny sound with bubbling sort of aftermath sometimes.

Check that out.

Initially I thought it might be related to bubbles in the water cooling system. But it seems unlikely.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    my 405 made the sound and my 306 has always made the sound
    i put it down to froggy quirkiness and live with it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Don't want to be a wet blanket, but I have heard of this noise in cars in Europe. Some are cured by a good beeding of the cooling system whilst others have proven to be the head gasket on the way out.
    I hope it's the former & not the latter but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan, is ther a bleed valve for the cooling system? When I changed the thermostate, there was a brass bolt with an alan-key fitting on top of the thermostat housing. Would I open this with the engine at operating temp to bleed it?

I have to do it very soon as I dont have much addative left after changing the thermostat.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    phasis

yes you have to bleed the system through the little bleed screw
    the radiators in 306's are lower than the highest part of the engine where coolant flows so they have a bleed screw near the thermo housing
    there is also a bleed on top of the radiator as well
    i'll take a couple of pics if you want to show you the way
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I get a gurgling, sloshing sound occasionally once I shut the engine down, but it comes from somewhere behind the rear seat - fuel tank, I guess like some sort of excess fuel pressure being released.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Phasis,

On the BX 16V there are a few; one near the radiator header top, one on the thermo housing, one on a hose leading to the plenum & another on a rail giong to the heater matrix.
    I usually fill the header tank to capacity & open the highest one (the one near the top of the radiator) and then work progressively back to the lowest (the one leading to the matrix) This allows me the luxury of knowing my coolant is up to the level of the highest point in the system & I can adjust the coolant level this way.
    Another thing to also check with this is the condition of the radiator cap in case it's also releasing pressure prematurely.

Alan S

Phasis:
    .....Would I open this with the engine at operating temp to bleed it?
    Operating temperature has nothing whatever to do with it. In fact, I'd think it best to do it with the engine stopped too. Then run it again for a minute or two (maybe drive around the block to ensure that bubbles come out of all the crevices?) and do it again.

But wouldn't you need the pressure in the system to ensure all air-pockets above the level of the radiator cap are filled, otherwise the water level at every point would drop to the top of the radiator cap.

Alan S:
    I don't know the set up with a 306, but with Cits, if the header tank/bottle is filled, that takes the coolant level to the highest point in the cooling system & hence bleeds it using the lower bleeders progressively as I described.
    Another system used for years with Renaults, in particular the 16 series, was to use a funnel with a spout that clipped onto the filler/cap hole & as such, raised the water level as they had a heater matrix top above radiator height.
    You can't bleed a system under pressure anyway as this creates vapour locks.

Alan S

Phasis:
    But wouldn't you need the pressure in the system to ensure all air-pockets above the level of the radiator cap are filled, otherwise the water level at every point would drop to the top of the radiator cap.
    So where does the water come from the fill the void? Filling above the level is the way, as Alan points out, though there is the alternative (one I used on my 16TS engine in the race car) of simply filling the last bit via the bleed screw. If you can get a hose on it, of course.

In the end I put a header tank along above the exhaust manifold with a permanent bleed. That worked fine.

Alan S:

Another system used for years with Renaults, in particular the 16 series, was to use a funnel with a spout that clipped onto the filler/cap hole & as such, raised the water level as they had a heater matrix top above radiator height.
    Alan S
    Yes, that's the set-up on the later Peugeots too Alan (306, 406). You use a special level raising funnel. (though it would be pretty simple to mock up)

On the 505 it was easy. You simply lift up the expansion bottle (which had a nice long tube) and hang it off the bonnet latch before closing the bleed screws and putting the radiator cap on. (from memory we used to do a Renault R8 this way too)

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Gemma,

I had the same noises in my series 1 405 Mi16...

The mouse type noise was a stuffed harmonic balancer...which to my way of thinking seems to just be a fancy crank shaft pully...

I got mine overhauled and it's all good now...the cost for a new one for my car was well over $300...but it only cost $150ish to over haul !

I also get the slurpy type water noises from time to time....never seemed to cause a problem though!
    It was there before I had my waterpump, cambelt done last time, but now it's gone !!

Hope that could be some help...I was told that the Harmonic Balancers do tend to go on these cars ?

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Which shows that it must have been improperly bled before...

Maybe the slurping and slushing is within the heater radiator?

Wherever it is, I think you'll find it's a source of extra corrosion... I'd say it's important to find and fix.

Good point Ray,

I had to have my heater core replaced at the same time, as it was found to be another point of failure within my cooling system. mine was losing preasure out of the system via the heater matrix!

Is your carpet getting wet ?

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Now before anyone questions my sobriety or sanity, I'm just passing on what I've heard abroad.
    I have heard some reckon that the water pumps in these things actually wear out. By that they reckon they lose the ability to pump as good as they should. If this is correct, then could this noise come from water actually cavitating around the impellor?
    Also, I know on BXs & no doubts Pugs & other Cits as well, there is a variety of pumps supplied. Some Valeo, some from South Africa, some Germany & so on & no two seem the same. Some have a brass impellor, some steel & others cast iron and none of those metals will wear identical to the other so is it possible that the impellor could wear down on one car & not on another due to differences in the pumps and could this difference in metal be a contributing factor to some engines corroding whilst others don't??

Alan S

Gem
    UPDATE:
    We have fixed the sound!
    And all it needed was an ol' fashioned boot around town. We gave it a little ( ) one night last week and now the sounds have stopped. I am hoping it was something like air bubbles somewhere that just needed a bit of pressure behind it, to get them out of the system.
    So my prescription for any problem with a car, is to GIVE IT SOME! YAY! evil
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

If that's the case...

The problem should have been fixed long ago!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information