theft of an MI16
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

theft of an MI16

Now the door was forced open, the car was dumped a cuple of kilometers from my house, the rear suspension looks like it took a beating.. now here is the question how do you start an MI16 with out damaging the ignition barrel, and with out "hot wiring" it???

Advertisement
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    with a key i suppose
    no idea
    unless a previous owner didn't give you all the keys for the car and somehow someone got hold of a key
    or we have clever crooks now with something like a skeleton key that starts anything
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

buzzedmi16:
    Now the door was forced open, the car was dumped a cuple of kilometers from my house, the rear suspension looks like it took a beating.. now here is the question how do you start an MI16 with out damaging the ignition barrel, and with out "hot wiring" it???
    With aligator clips and wires, on the cables and ignition clips, its not hard... -chris
    ... ptui!

Damn didnt know it would be that simple
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Once your inside most cars its not that hard to get em started, ones like top end mercs and BMW's are much harder. But i learnt alot from my stereo days.... im no theif.-chris
    ... ptui!

CHRI'S16:
    buzzedmi16:
    With aligator clips and wires, on the cables and ignition clips, its not hard... -chris
    What about the steering lock if it was done this way though?

Any spare key in the glovebox, by chance?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

yeah my dad and I were once in queensland when we snapped our car key (our only key) we were driving a 1965 mustang, we spent the next 5 days having to hotwire the car every time we started it.

We also had to develop our own security system for the car whilst it was keyless:

We kept a piece of fishing line tired tightly around the rear passenger door lock which was near invisible, on the end (which hung down out of sight) was a key ring... we had to force the window open slightly, drop a coathanger down there, hook it onto the keyring and pull then open the driver door and hotwire it wink

Worked well, we had it down to an art after a few days. Never got stopped and asked if we were stealing the car either!!!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Rod Hagen:
    Yeah, usually you have to totally butcher the ignition switch to dissable the steering lock on Pugs.

Apparently on some cars you can break the steering lock just by giving the steering wheel a VERY big jerk, but this trick doesn't work on 504s and 505s because the steering lock pin is a piece of steel about 10mm across. I assume the 405 is something similar.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Years ago young Rupert gave me a word of advice on loosing Peugeot keys DON"T regards cane toad

Mind you, I once had a 403 that I could start with any one of four different keys from four different ignition switches that I had acquired over the years!

Maybe buzzed's car was loaded on a flat top and did the suspension damage when it rolled off the back?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Dead right... I carry two spares with me most of the time.

Regarding the steering lock thing, I had a stepson tell me I should do this the other week with the 504 sedan. He's naturally enough heard of the method of just turning the wheel sharply, as you would with other cars.

I just wonder what would happen to the broken bits if you achieve it... like when you hit a bump as you come to a corner and they fall into a spot where they jam the steering on you?

The lug on the Pug steering column is also substantial.

Incidentally, it sounds like any parts you may need to repair it (door, rear suspension etc) are readily available at Countrywide wreckers at Goulburn.

Fellow Frogger!
    far freakin thieves!!! don't hear about many pugs getting stolen... bad luck

Rod Hagen:

Cheers

Rod
    Most steering wheel pins will pull out with earth magnets, or puched through the key hole itself, oh and on the back off some barrels you can get to the pin itself. another mehtod is a small air pump.
    Squirt into the barrel and/or older neumatic style door locks and they will pop open....
    When i did alarms i heard lots of hard luck stories....-chris
    ... ptui!

Did you also know that insurance companies do a thorough search of papers, web sites etc., for wiped cars that have been for sale in the last 6 months?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

CHRI'S16:
    Rod Hagen:

Cheers

Rod
    Most steering wheel pins will pull out with earth magnets, or puched through the key hole itself, oh and on the back off some barrels you can get to the pin itself. another mehtod is a small air pump.
    Squirt into the barrel and/or older neumatic style door locks and they will pop open....
    In this case apparently there was no damage to the lock though, and no sign of hot wiring either.

Wouldn't this sort of attack on the ignition switch / steering lock cause some visible sugns?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

another mehtod is a small air pump.
    When i did alarms i heard lots of hard luck stories
    Once, found out that a tennis (halved) works in something like this way. Put it over and pump. Worked on an old dodge.....

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Rod Hagen:
    CHRI'S16:
    Rod Hagen:

Cheers

Rod
    In this case apparently there was no damage to the lock though, and no sign of hot wiring either.

Wouldn't this sort of attack on the ignition switch / steering lock cause some visible sugns?

Cheers

Rod
    Honestly Rod, im not sure.... im just considering the options that ive been encountered before... although how does he know that the thief didn't just break the pin.... We and i really not 100% with out looking at the car...
    its such a shame i happened.. reminds me of Brads hard luck story...-chris
    ... ptui!

I take the rotor outta the 504 whenever i am away from it for too long.

If they can hotwire it to them then good on them.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I'm amazed that steering lock defeat is still being discussed.

As Dave said, you can't do it on the Pugs we know so well, and I suspect Renault and Citroen have or had similar setups. Which might go a ways to saying something about Frenchmen...

Whatever might happen with other cars, air or magnets, they won't work with the very direct function of the French setup, it's great as long as nothing goes wrong with it.

Not only that, you need to turn to lock with a key to remove it and disable the lock.

Which brings me to the day I did have something go wrong with mine... fortunately I was going slowly when it decided it wanted to function!

Ray Bell:

Whatever might happen with other cars, air or magnets, they won't work with the very direct function of the French setup, it's great as long as nothing goes wrong with it.
    !
    Yeah, 504 steering locks are total bastards when the key barrel eventually decides to malfunction, because you can't remove them without being able to turn the key to the removal position so that you can then insert the correct size pin in the side to push the barrel retaining button to remove the barrel.

I've spoken to atleast one person who had to resort to drilling down the guts of the barrel, so that he could then use a screwdriver to turn the barrel, in order to dissable the steering lock, so that he could then just hotwire it and drive it.

I've been tempted to pull my ignition barrel out while it still works and remove the steering lock parts, so I never have to worry about such things.

Dave

<small>[ 08 August 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I once took a complete steering column from a Fuego with the ignition barrel in it (its owner had her handbag pinched with both sets of keys in it..) to get the locked picked and a new key cut. He was torn between being very annoyed and very impressed at french engineering because it took him 4 hours to pick it where he said most jap stuff takes 10 minutes. He was also impressed at the extra hardened steel pins inside the mechanism that prevent it being started with a screwdriver slammed into the barrel.

davemcbean:
    .....I've been tempted to pull my ignition barrel out while it still works and remove the steering lock parts, so I never have to worry about such things.
    I did it with my old 504 wagon. I had to get the lock out when that malfunction occurred anyway, so I cut the thing off.

I remember several times when I arrived at my parents' house in my first 404 (an imported one with steering lock) I would take the key out and coast the last little way.

Yeah, right! And that telegraph pole was right there!

Never came to any grief, but it could happen so easily... dangerous things, steering locks. Ask George Reed about his '36 Ford on Conrod Straight during the 1938 Bathurst race...

nJm
    I never knew these car had this sort of feature. I guess I just assumed it had a normal one. My 505's ignition barrel was replaced with a brand new one at a Peugeot outlet around 2 years ago. Could I assume they checked/renewed all the locking stuff when they did it?
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Not much to go wrong there... but the frequency with which these barrels seem to fail indicates that maybe there's not much graphite powder used to regularly lubricate the locks?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information