306 XSI advice
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 XSI advice

Fellow Frogger!

306 XSI advice

Hey guys,

am trying to get my brother in law into a 'real'car- took him for a look at a 306 XSI (2dr) on the weekend. It had 74kms(that I believe), new front discs and pads ($600 receipts) - serviced by Pug dealer all it's life- ex demo- then his mate bought it, then him, he has done just 13,000 kms in last two years hence wants to sell it.

Advertisement

Looks straight as, aside from needing a good cut and polish. It's in that deep red- almost maroon colour. Interior unmarked- exterior trim (vertical piece) along window- coming off and strip along window edge on drivers and passenger side is bubbling- is this common?

Otherwise- these are small details - oh but the boot has leaked at some stage- the carpet is wet.

Still running original michelins- no doubt replaced but shows attention to detail. Gearbox, motor feels really tight, pulls cleanly, no smoke etc, no gearbox whine either sold with new WOF- MOT to you guys...

Anything partic, that I should have looked at/missed? The guy is after $12,500 NZ for it. On a lot up the road a 4dr version (jap import- make what you want of the mileage!!) was there for $15000- and it was rougher, so I figure this (and from prices elsewhere) was a good buy. Should he hang out for a 306GTI6- aside from the 6 spd are there many other differences?- ie airbag- the XSI had ABS- but no air con.

Cheers Ben

Surely there's a fair bit of difference between an XSI and a GTI6 ?
    Like about 25KW, 8valves (weren't earlier XSIs 8v?), not to mention at least NZ$15,000 !!!

What year is it?

But anyway....sounds reasonable for the money, though I'd be concerned about bubbling on the window sills, as I've never seen any rust on a 306, even early '93 ones.

Cheers
    Mark

Fellow Frogger!
    $12500 sounds a reasonable price, specially since it's 3door and manual (I presume)

My cousin has a '95 3door manual in the same dark red. Whilst it may not have the 6speeder or grunt of the GTi-6 I think it looks nicer, the old XSi mags and front grille look better than the GTi's IMO

In general the engines can be a bit rough etc. I am in NZ and I haven't seen them lower than 10k. A lot people/dealers here don't realise the difference between the S16 and the early XSi (123hp vs 150hp), and they look nearly identical so often S16s come up quite cheap, if he can find one of them, that is the pick to get! Only 17hp less than the GTI, and nearly identical torque.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Guys,

sorry I knew I'd forget to add something!- yep it's a 94 model- and it's a manual- but then I did mention the 'box was tight...

The trim I mentioned bubbling along the windows- it's not the sills on the doors it's the black trim that runs between the door and the glass (horizontallly) does that make sense?- the ones you can just pull off and stick back 'in' if you wanted too.

I guess you meant 27hp not 17hp? (150-123hp)- that was half of why I posted -as I wasn't aware of the differences- although the price premium meant there had to be something to set them apart-I haven't seen many for less than about $25k NZ. So you guys don't think $12,500 is a bad price then?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Cheers Ben

No, the 27hp was right:

GTi6 167hp
    S16 150hp
    XSi 134hp (later 16 valve)
    XSi 123hp (early 8 valve)

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!
    Umm, well I was stating that the S16 is good value, that it's only 17hp less than the GTI6.

XSi's lack a bit of acceleration compared to the S16/GTI6 but the price difference is so huge you have to ask the question if you value a second or two extra to 100k, but it'll cost you $10,000+ (Oh and you'll probably get leather, and an extra gear too :p )

The handling is pretty sharp on the XSi so you'll have no complaints there.

Oh and does anyone know when the 16valve XSi's came in? The red 3door I've driven feels a bit too zippy to be the 8valve, it's 1995, smack in the middle of the 306s prime life so if someone could clarify the years of 8valve and 16valve versions. (Can't be bothered looking on the engine)

Fellow Frogger!
    late 97 maybe? i've got a 98 Xsi, 2l 16v.

Fellow Frogger!
    Cool,

sorry Louis- you are right- I thought you meant between the XSI and the GTI6!

So if I have got it right the main differences between the XSI and GTI6 (or S16)are;

- Airbags
    - more valves
    - leather seats
    - more hp(from 17-27hp)
    - more $$$$

Cheers Ben

are all the suspension settings the same or are the GTI6 and s16 running harder suspension setups too?

Fellow Frogger!
    whoops,

and I guess 6 gears in the case of the GTI-6!

Ben

Fellow Frogger!
    Umm they are fairly similar suspension wise but the GTI/S16s probably have harder setups I guess. The 306 handles so well standard I don't think they had to modify the GTI/S16 too much.

Thread Information