205 Classic register?
  • Register
  • Help

205 Classic register?

Anyone know the whereabouts of the 17 of 20 remaining 205 Classics that were sold here
    in 1994 or so to signify the end of the 205 Gti range.
    I'm attempting to get a register of owners going to keep tabs on the cars.
    Apparently there was one at PQ automotive in bits??

anyone got one?

ipb

<small>[ 08 July 2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: ipb205 ]</small>

Advertisement

My back neighbour has a 205 which I think is a Classic (we're not exactly on good terms at the moment )

They've had it for years (I think that's where I first fell in love with it - the car not the nieghbour ).

BTW I am in Sydney, Inner West
    1991 205 GTi (Silver)
    2005 Clio Sport 182 Cup (FRB)

Fellow Frogger!
    Wow
    Is that what 205 Classic means? I seen one, maybe two around Christchurch over here in NZ

Fellow Frogger!
    Ray Loney in Illawong on the southern edge of Sydney (near Woronora) has one.

Fellow Frogger!
    ipb,

I have seen one in the raw while i was working in south yarra in melbourne.
    It was dark green with light or black leather interior (I can't remember clearly.
    Its like a animal on the instinction list when u spot one (its amazing) eek!
    Especially after working in that area where there is plenty of peugeots and after 4 years to see one in the car park
    I noticed a couple of sorrento greens 94 models and hundreds of series one & twos.
    The most common are the 205 si shopping trolleys they r driven by the ladies.
    Everytime i noticed one of those wimpy looking things i could not believe i was driving one of those on steroids lol blush
    No wonder i always wanted the wide body 205

Murat

Gee, I wasn't aware there were only 20 of them sold.....I've seen at least two or three around Melbourne.

Colin Stark of Alpine Affair mentioned they service one that lives in bayswater.....that was a couple of yrs ago though (i was tracking down a 205 for myself at the time)....if you are super keen you could ask him if he still has any customers that might want to be on the register.

Weren't the only differences between the "Classic" and the series "3" are full leather seats and a different panel on the hatch...oh and by 94, the silly sticker price?
    ________
    Vaporizers
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:10 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey I just found one for sale over here in NZ.
    1994 205 Classic 1.9 86,000kms, full leather, sun roof, Serrento Green. REAL good nick. Yours for only NZ$15,000. It's number 10 of 30.

Hmmmmm sorely tempted but I dont have the cash and I've just got everythin i need for my 16v conversion.
    Dammit why couldn't this car appear in a years time?

Icon5

Hi,

I am the webmaster for the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club www.psooc.com over in the UK and have had a call from one of our members who is thinking of exporting a 205 GTI Classic back to the UK!! I have heard of most rare 205's (the japanese cancelled order with the automatic boxes and the 25 made of the 205 GTI 1FM etc) but I have never heard of the Classic before. Digging around on the net has brought me to you you chaps and through searching your forum I have managed to glean the following info for an article for our club magazine:
    From what I have found, these 205s were the last GTI's that Peugeot brought into Australia in 1994 and sold for AU$37,500 from April 1994. They were mechanically identical to the regular catalysed low compression GTI that was sold in this market (XU9J1/AZ 105bhp), most likely due to the fact that the standard 1.9 (XU9JA) struggled to meet emissions standards with or without cat. The differences from the standard car were that the interior came with air-conditioning, a full length sliding sunroof, uprated stereo with a 10 disc CD changer and full black leather, and grey-green carpet. Each
    Externally 30 were painted in Sorrento Green, had bronze tinted 6Jx15" Speedline wheels, rear panel between the lights was a carbon fibre look rather than the red 205 GTI reflector that was standard on Australian models.
    Can you confirm that I am not writing rubbish before I go to press!!!!!! I would love some hi res pics to [email protected] of the front, side and back of one of these cars to compliment the text if anyone has one.

finally I know it is of great debate, but how much extra as a percentage does a Classic sell for over a standard "Series 3" of same condition, mileage etc.

Cheers,

Henry

Fellow Frogger!

There was one parked at work the other day, if I see it again, will try and find the owner, it has just under 100,000 km on the clock and could do with a little TLC, it had the badge stuck on the dash like other classics, but the 'Classic sticker' on the outside had been removed. I think it was ex Melbourne as it had a Regan Motors sticker on the back, but SA plates.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Yorke
    Hi,

I am the webmaster for the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club www.psooc.com over in the UK and have had a call from one of our members who is thinking of exporting a 205 GTI Classic back to the UK!! I have heard of most rare 205's (the japanese cancelled order with the automatic boxes and the 25 made of the 205 GTI 1FM etc) but I have never heard of the Classic before. Digging around on the net has brought me to you you chaps and through searching your forum I have managed to glean the following info for an article for our club magazine:

Can you confirm that I am not writing rubbish before I go to press!!!!!! I would love some hi res pics to [email protected] of the front, side and back of one of these cars to compliment the text if anyone has one.

finally I know it is of great debate, but how much extra as a percentage does a Classic sell for over a standard "Series 3" of same condition, mileage etc.

Cheers,

Henry

All Series 3s including the Classic had a 122hp engine.
    Graham

[QUOTE=Murat]ipb,

I have seen one in the raw while i was working in south yarra in melbourne.
    It was dark green with light or black leather interior (I can't remember clearly.
    Its like a animal on the instinction list when u spot one (its amazing) eek!
    Especially after working in that area where there is plenty of peugeots and after 4 years to see one in the car park
    I noticed a couple of sorrento greens 94 models and hundreds of series one & twos.
    The most common are the 205 si shopping trolleys they r driven by the ladies.
    Everytime i noticed one of those wimpy looking things i could not believe i was driving one of those on steroids lol blush
    No wonder i always wanted the wide body 205

Hey, that may have belonged to a friend of mine who lives in South Yarra. He sold it a few months ago and it is now in Brisbane - so there's one at least in Queensland. I know of at least 2 others in Melbourne. Very nice little car.
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    All Series 3s including the Classic had a 122hp engine.
    Graham
    Are you 100% sure on this Graham? I have a 1993 1.9 CTI with this low compression engine in it. I guessed you guys would have stricter laws on emissions than in the UK (as you have much more of that horrible, harmful, paint fading sun!!!!!!!)

XU9JA = 130bhp 10.1:1 compression ratio
    XU9JA/Z = 122bhp 9.4:1 compression ratio and a cat
    XU9J1/AZ = 105bhp 8.4:1 compression ratio, cat and a small valve head

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Yorke
    Are you 100% sure on this Graham? I have a 1993 1.9 CTI with this low compression engine in it. I guessed you guys would have stricter laws on emissions than in the UK (as you have much more of that horrible, harmful, paint fading sun!!!!!!!)

XU9JA = 130bhp 10.1:1 compression ratio
    XU9JA/Z = 122bhp 9.4:1 compression ratio and a cat
    XU9J1/AZ = 105bhp 8.4:1 compression ratio, cat and a small valve head
    Yes, The Series 3 was the first real 1.9 that we got - 15 inch wheels, disc brakes on rear etc.
    The earlier cars were just 1.6s with a detuned 1.9 engine fitted.
    The JA/Z engine complied with all emission standards, it had more power because of its more advanced engine management system.
    Graham

i have seen number 14 of 30 about three weks ago at reagans spares in hawthorn and number 29 of 30 at french car day here in melbourne this year.both sorrento green.
    you say that 20 were sold here?cause on the badge it says 30 were biult-bazz

Tadpole

Default 205 Turbo???

I seem to recall in the early nineties in UK that there was a 205 GTi turbo brought out...or have i got my wires crossed.
    Very interested in the classic register. So were they all green? Are any 1994 205 non-classics around, ie in a non green colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Beccie
    I seem to recall in the early nineties in UK that there was a 205 GTi turbo brought out...or have i got my wires crossed.
    Very interested in the classic register. So were they all green? Are any 1994 205 non-classics around, ie in a non green colour?
    yes both 205 SI's and 205 GTI's were being sold in 1994. classics, i believe didn't start selling until april of 1994

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i have seen number 14 of 30 about three weks ago at reagans spares in hawthorn and number 29 of 30 at french car day here in melbourne this year.both sorrento green.
    you say that 20 were sold here?cause on the badge it says 30 were biult-bazz

14 of 30? That's very interesting. That car definitely went to Queensland a few months ago - I saw it leave in a truck!
    Blood Orange 2006 Renault Megane Sport Cup
    Silver 1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    Green 1973 Alfa Romeo 105 GTV 2000

I dont think they had Bronzed tinted wheels either. Ive seen a few and driven a classic. There was one for sale in croydon about 6 months ago for about 14 000$. Not sure about the Kmage. The only difference that i can remember was that yes it was numberd. It has the same Peugeot 205 GTi reflector panel as alot of other 205s and some of them have Classic written in light green writing behind the door towards the sill. I guess some owners had them removed. I dont think there is any difference other than that. I think the inlet manifold was plastic aswell. But so were some 93 model cars. The motor was also the 122hp version as graham pointed out. There was '30' bought into australia.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Icon14

Cool! The plastic inlet manifold tends to be a sign of the motronic 1.3 engine management system that was fitted from approx 1993 on, so I guess all classics will have that.

The red reflector is an Peugeot option, so there was no carbon look rear panel? In the UK, all GTI's came with the slatted rear panel, where as lower spec cars had it removed with a flushed tailgate.

The 122bhp will be the XU9JA/Z. I am interested to know the engine code of the early "detuned" 1.9's Perhaps they were the 405 SRI engine, which had more torque but less power (not sure of the engine code).

From what I have read, the Classic was sold in April 1994 only.

Beccie: Yes there was a 205 1.9 GTI Turbo. This was a Peugeot option via a UK company called Turbo Technics which had approx 170bhp. You could also buy the wide arched Dimma kitted 205's from UK Peugeot dealers too!! I.e. you could get a 205 Dimma turbo on Peugeot finance from a dealer

Fellow Frogger!

The classics were sold in Australia at the end of 94 to 'celebrate' the end of the 205 in Australia.
    I have a 92 205 Gti, with alloy inlet and the Motronic 1.3 and some later ones still had the alloy inlet and some had the plastic inlet, Peugeot chopped and changed things so much over the years it is a bit hard to be crystal clear.
    There were 30 sold as Cam85 said, but I think some are not with us anymore
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Thread Information